• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

[Melb] Hybrid @ Brown Alley ~ Friday 6th June REVIEWS!!

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
I haven't made a thread in a long while, but there seems to be quite a few people heading along to this so....

DARKBEAT PRESENTS ~ HYBRID

:) =D :)

What:
4 hours of Hybrid goodness + Gavin Keitel, Sean Quinn, Danny Bonnici, Rollin Connection, Deviant, Stray, Citizen.com + More
When:
Friday 6th June - Long Weekend - Doors open 9pm
Where:
Brown Alley - Cnr King + Lonsdale
Dollars:
$18, more on the night
Tix:
Brown Alley + inthemix

More info!

This will be the OFFICIAL LAUNCH FOR HYBRID'S NEW CD 'SOUNDSYSTEM 001'

Cinematic is a term long associated with acclaimed dance-music innovators Hybrid—and that widescreen emphasis comes even more into focus on Hybrid’s ground-breaking new double-disc mix collection, Soundsystem 001

Truman and Healings fuse actual film scores and ambient electronica together for the first time, making for an unforgettable downtempo odyssey: here, glitchy, atmospheric tracks from Trentemoller, Spooky, Andy Page, and new Hybrid vocalist Charlotte James (who contributes a haunting new chill-out classic, “Shadows of the City”) blend seamlessly with edgy score selections from films like Babel and 28 Days Later. “It gives a good insight into glorious bits of music we thought should see light of day,” Truman says.

CD 2of Soundsystem shifts the duo’s trademark progressive/breaks sound into a predominantly techier, 4/4-driven groove. “I’ve never actually played just one style, so this is a real reflection of our DJ sets—of what’s actually in our record box,” Healings explains. “This mix isn’t so much banging as it is a refined journey through today’s clubbing experience: a little bit progressive, a little bit chunky and tech-housey, with some techno and breakbeat in the middle. Basically, when we DJ, we go everywhere: we’ll throw on whatever works to both get people moving and create a real listening experience at the same time.”

Who's in?!?

The sideshow Sydney gig is Friday 30th May, but I have plans that night already and am going overseas the next day so don't think I will be able to go. Anyone who knows me knows I am possibly the biggest hybrid fan on the planet (slight exaggeration? probably not) so I'm really bummed.

katmeow said:
I haven't made a thread in a long while, but there seems to be quite a few people heading along to this so....

Who are you? =D

I think I shall be going.
Boyfriend is going to a LAN party (geek) where I have been told "no Mac faggotry allowed" So the boys can take their puny little PCs and play while I will have much fun at Hybrid :D

count me in! rok it with my fellow BL peeps %)

not the usual kinda thing I go to, but sounds pretty good n Brown Alley is a pretty good venue.

kittymeow said:
I think I shall be going.
Boyfriend is going to a LAN party (geek) where I have been told "no Mac faggotry allowed" So the boys can take their puny little PCs and play while I will have much fun at Hybrid :D

more of a am than shall hopefully. N we can do pre party wine time hehe
I'm reverting to the old skool drinking caper of late given the lack of funds situation heheh

astro^boi said:
God dang same night as Klute!!!!

bummer hey, good thing both miss libs and brown alley are exempt from the lockouts... you can go to both!! don't forget hybrid are playing a 4 HOUR SET from 12 'til 4am.... SWEET :)

I'll be interested to see what you guys think of the MELB show, coz i was fairly dissapointed with the Sydney show. I wont go into details, but i'd like to hear how they compare after the event.

miss_goody2shoes said:
count me in! rok it with my fellow BL peeps %)

not the usual kinda thing I go to, but sounds pretty good n Brown Alley is a pretty good venue.

more of a am than shall hopefully. N we can do pre party wine time hehe
I'm reverting to the old skool drinking caper of late given the lack of funds situation heheh

Yes yes I am coming :D
Wines at my place fo' sho. Round up tha girlies!

YAY for no lockouts at Brown Alley. That is ace news.
So like - anyone got any cheap tickets left for me? :eek:

DJC* said:
I'll be interested to see what you guys think of the MELB show, coz i was fairly dissapointed with the Sydney show. I wont go into details, but i'd like to hear how they compare after the event.

Shoosh you. Melbourne gigs always rock better than Sydney gigs. ;) :p

I wonder if someone is going to compile a list of places NOT on a 2am Lockout.

With Bells On etc etc

With the lockout exemptions - the rules are kinda weird. Venues are NOT allowed passouts.
Technically new patrons can enter the venue after 2am, but if a patron leaves, they aren't supposed to come back in.
How this works in practise is beyond me... presumably you'll have a stamp on your wrist, which while not a "passout" will get you free entry again once you're in the front door.
The whole lockout thing is ridiculous anyway IMO.

Looking forward to some dodgy tap beer and fine, fine tunes :)

(and i wish i hadn't read DJC's comment!)

9-10:30 Rollin Connection

10:30-12 Gavin Keitel

12 - 4 HYBRID [UK]

4 - 5 Danny Bonnici

5 - Close Sean Quinn

Last edited:
^ Welcome to our Qld world, DB. :\ We've had the 3am lockout up here for ages, and it's working really well - no really, it is.

I wish I was attending this event.

:(

What i wouldn't give for a nice BBQ in the lead up to this most auspicious event...

In short...

The smoking room SUCKED balls! Ive already loaded my complaint with EPA and Melb Council.

The floor was disgusting.

It was too packed.

:!

But they played a few great tracks. Was kind of average though. Still rocked it. Was awesome seeing familiar faces (kat, adam, pete your hugs RULE!) and also meeting some new faces who I have seen around the board for ages (Hoptis i had no idea what you looked like so didnt know it was you ;) ) You and Pop became my welcoming comittee :D

To the 2 random BL chicks that bailed me and my best mate up in the stairwell...i am not lil leecie. We look nothing alike!! Shes gorgeous and somewhat shorter and in another state! (missgoody2shoes i think you were one of them)

The 2am lock out bugged the shit out of me. By the time it was 3am I was soo god dam hungry I drove to lygon street for pizza and then had to wait to pick up insomnia...but god the pizza was good. I would of lvoed to of gone back inside! From what i can gather most of the Hybrid fans had left by the end of their set...

Hmm...

The tracks they did drop were awesome though. Just no consistency in what they were playing. They seemed to jump from one style to the next and then to something else. I got confused....

*starfalls69* said:
In short...

....The floor was disgusting.

....It was too packed.

....i am not lil leecie. We look nothing alike!! Shes gorgeous and somewhat shorter and in another state!

....Just no consistency in what they were playing. They seemed to jump from one style to the next and then to something else. I got confused....

Yeah pretty much the same here. No flow to the set. Not normal Hybrid quality to me. Left feeling disappointed.

Oh not only is lilleecie not just in another state, but another country atm. :p

*starfalls69* said:
The smoking room SUCKED balls! Ive already loaded my complaint with EPA and Melb Council.

why would you do that?? surely you could just not go in there? 8)