Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

I want to move to Melbourne

DoctorShop

Bluelighter
Thats right.

I just wanted to ask some melbournites the following things:

1. Work? How easy is it to find? I don't care if I have to work in shitty retail jobs or call centres. I just need to find work straightaway obviously.

2. Accomodation. I'm used to living half hour from the city and longer, so if I have to live in the outer suburbs that's no hassle.

3. Money. How much do you think someone needs beforehand to move to this fine city?

Help me out Aus social %)

edit: I am from Perth btw.

Last edited:
1. Work? How easy is it to find? I don't care if I have to work in shitty retail jobs or call centres. I just need to find work straightaway obviously.
Log onto Seek and you will see loads of jobs to apply for. My advice is to set up a few interviews before you move. Employers are generally forgiving if you're living in another state, and most will grant you a phone interview to start and then offer one face-to-face if you're close to getting the job.

2. Accomodation. I'm used to living half hour from the city and longer, so if I have to live in the outer suburbs that's no hassle.
The rental market is insane at the moment, but that said there are plenty of reasonably priced places close to the city. I live in the Eastern suburbs paying $500 pcm to live with two other people and I'm only 20 minutes out of the city, in bad traffic. :)
Check out Flatmate Finders. This will give you an idea of the prices in the market at the moment. This site is fantastic as it has advertisments from people with established house-holds looking for flatmates.

3. Money. How much do you think someone needs beforehand to move to this fine city?
Hard to say - it all depends on your lifestyle and where you would like to live. :)

All that said, move here already! I'm sure you'd love it. :D<3

2. Inner city living is generally more expensive but the public transport system in Melbourne isn't awesome. It's fantastic if you live inner city because the tram and train network makes it very easy to get around... in the outer suburbs, if you're not near a train station, having to take a bus is a real drag. The bus service is okay but Melbourne's roads are fucked and getting around can take forever.

Once a friend of mine was in Melbourne for the weekend at a Pro Skating competiteon. He and the Vans crew used to travel around Australia to comps in this awesome black Torago van with black tinted windows. They would spent all day in the cities looking for epic places to skate and take photos of to put in all the Thrasher style magazines.

So they were at this skate park in Melbourne and he had all his gear in a Rusty backpack (He was also sponsored by Rusty) and it got stolen. Now I'm talking hundreds of dollars worth of gear. Later they found the backpack and everything had been stolen out of it, every single little thing except a pair of undies.

My band wrote a song about it called "But they left my fucking undies"...

It went like this...

"But they left... my fucking... UNDIEEEEEEES

MY FUCKING UNDIEEEES

UNDIEEEES"

Well I just moved back :D

Crashing at friends' till I find a job and move out. I hear rental is brutal these days, but Sydney's purportedly worse.

I'm from Perth so... don't talk to me about the rental market ok you guys? kthx ;)

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has anything else to contribute please do.

There is absolutely no where to live and Melbtown is already bursting at the seams, we cant keep up with the influx.

Dont come here !

We dont need anymore pressure on our infrastructure.

Infact there is less than 1% availability in the rental market. That is inner city.
COTB had moved into her house probably just before the market went crazy.
If you want to find a place within a month, you should be able to if you are willing to live about 30 minutes out of the city. I know perth, every thing is so close together ! Its crazy. Melbourne isnt like that.

Having said all of that though, Melbourne is the best place on earth. Best.

You should probably have first month rent and bond which would be an ABSOLUTE minimum of $1300. You will also need to stay somewhere for the first month, probably a hostel, which is 25 - 50 a night in like a 12 room share. You can go on the bread/rice/pasta diet and live on food of about $70 a week, okish without going out.

Jobs are plenty, if you are articulate and can talk shit :)

If you live inner city its true, rental market is ridiculous, if you move outer eastern suburbs, like 30 mins from city drive, or 40-45 by public transport there is plenty of stuff out here. it isnt cheap - but if you are sharing and are used to perth rental market i would say you would be fine.
Just depends on how far out you wanna be, but i guess you wanna base that around your job.

Good luck with it all <3

Hahah, eggman was burned by his experience with yarra trams!

Yay Melbourne. Yeah the rental market is fucked atm. But if you have decent money you should be able to find something. Oh, and outer suburbs, sure. Just make sure you determine who you want to be friends and how you want to be classified by society and move to the appropriate part of Melb (i.e. westie, Ringwood boy, etc) :D

Move to Toorak!

Tram Man: Where is your ticket?
Me: You dont need a fucken ticket
Tram Man: Get off the fucken tram!

BREAKaBEAT said:
Infact there is less than 1% availability in the rental market. That is inner city.
COTB had moved into her house probably just before the market went crazy.
If you want to find a place within a month, you should be able to if you are willing to live about 30 minutes out of the city. I know perth, every thing is so close together ! Its crazy. Melbourne isnt like that.

Having said all of that though, Melbourne is the best place on earth. Best.

Is it crazy like up here when a property comes up for rent and theres a viewing about 30 people turn up?

Move and you won't regret it. It's a lovely city, lots of transport to get you round, much art and culture, botanical gardens. You should be able to find a job no problem. Southbank is a great place to live. Ya abit expensive, but alot of the outer suburbs are just as nice if you want to waste money on petrol. Loads of shopping for all your needs, Melbourne Central has a cinema with beanbags, lots of alternative type of people, multiculturally diverse, good night life. Business is quite efficient, as opposed to Queensland which toooooo slowwwww. Ohh, and how could I forget the food! LOTS OF FOOD! I could go on for alot longer.... ;)

melbourne1.jpg

sydkiwi said:
Is it crazy like up here when a property comes up for rent and theres a viewing about 30 people turn up?

Try 150 people at each viewing... its more than nuts...

Well I would debate the claims of a crazy rental market. I was all stressed for my boyfriend because he need to find a place to live within two weeks with almost no rental history and working shifts.

But after only three inspections and some sweet talking a real estate agent, he was approved for a wicked warehouse studio near Richmond station for $280 a week.
So if you're a bit better than all the plebs out there, can show you got some decent cash and wear something nice to the inspection you should be right. If you don't have a job when applying I would offer two months rent plus bond up front instead of the usual one month plus bond. Get some money behind you before you come!

I would also recommend my real estate agent (and my boyfriends) - Hocking Stuart. They have a policy of notifying you of a successful or unsuccessful application within 24 hours. No piss farting around, waiting and hassling agents to know if you got the place.

That said you might want to share with someone and in that case I can't help you cos I only know about finding a place through REA :D

Ummmmmmmm, last month , one of our apartments came up for inspection, and 150 people turned up, and 5 real estate agents, organising them into groups of 20 for viewing...

kittymeow said:
If you don't have a job when applying I would offer two months rent plus bond up front instead of the usual one month plus bond.

I didn't think there's such an option! 8o

I think you can offer anything though they *shouldn't* take kindly to offering more rent which is illegal.

But I'm pretty sure that securing your place with paying for a few weeks extra should put you in good steed.

I'm also sure that a nice discussion with the REA about your current situation could get not only noticed but in the good books :D Its all about the weedling!