• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

I want to move to Melbourne

BREAKaBEAT said:
Ummmmmmmm, last month , one of our apartments came up for inspection, and 150 people turned up, and 5 real estate agents, organising them into groups of 20 for viewing...

That's weird cos all the places we looked at with my bf hardly had anyone show up at the inspection.

Though I think these insane numbers fall within a certain bracket - eg 1 bedders under $300 probably don't have nearly as much interest as a 2 bedder under $400. And once you get above $500 - $600 I reckon numbers start falling drastically again. All depends on what people think is a reasonable amount to pay for rent :)

vurtomatic said:
I didn't think there's such an option! 8o

I also met a girl last month that had to pay 6 months up front , just to get her place !

I lived in Mandurah for nearly a decade, been back in Melbs..wow over 4 years now. My whole family have moved back to WA but I've stayed here, I love this city heaps. So much on offer here as already said.

Yeah bad time to rent atm. I searched for months for a place for myself, viewings were getting lots of people turn up and I was overhearing some say they'd pay up to $30 more/wk to secure em. I suspect any of the more decent flats that were priced below $200/wk would of be pushed up beyond that.
Guess I'm pretty lucky to have gotten this flat where I am- it's 15-20mins north of city by train in a nice suburb close to shops + station, flat itself neat/in good condition alas the price was orginally advertised as $185/wk then changed to $210 :\

As for temporary accomm, well my mate when between rentals stayed at Urban Central in Southbank [not far from Crown]. It's about $29/night or $175/wk which is guess isn't real cheap by backpackers' standards but it's nice + clean there and it's max 4 to a room. http://www.urbancentral.com.au

best of luck if you decide to take the plunge. You'll be glad you did*

oh, n as for jobs, I think if you're willing to do anything/take whatever to tie you over, shouldn't be a problem. Call centres or door to door reppin' for electricity companies etc etc that kind of thing -seen friends get em in a jiffy

*possibly, I dunno =D

kittymeow said:
Well I would debate the claims of a crazy rental market. I was all stressed for my boyfriend because he need to find a place to live within two weeks with almost no rental history and working shifts.

But after only three inspections and some sweet talking a real estate agent, he was approved for a wicked warehouse studio near Richmond station for $280 a week.
So if you're a bit better than all the plebs out there, can show you got some decent cash and wear something nice to the inspection you should be right. If you don't have a job when applying I would offer two months rent plus bond up front instead of the usual one month plus bond. Get some money behind you before you come!

I would also recommend my real estate agent (and my boyfriends) - Hocking Stuart. They have a policy of notifying you of a successful or unsuccessful application within 24 hours. No piss farting around, waiting and hassling agents to know if you got the place.

That said you might want to share with someone and in that case I can't help you cos I only know about finding a place through REA :D

4 steps to getting a rental property:

View the property on a week day if you can before the massive crowds on the weekend
look presentable when viewing the property
have the form ready to fill in on the spot if you can
the bond + rent ready to transfer over

Thats how we got our place but then that was at the start of the rental crisis.

No. Serious. Good Luck.

sydkiwi said:

View the property on a week day if you can before the massive crowds on the weekend

The rulez go now:

View the property on a week day if you can before the massive crowds on the weekend - usually reject'd; or told to come back fo' tha viewin'....
look presentable when viewing the property - if you aint 3 good-lookin' girls in steady employment, wear a costume... you'll at least get attention....
have the form ready to fill in on the spot if you can... then burn it unless you fill all the other boxes... then pray yo' aint under 30-35...
the bond + rent ready to transfer over.... +1 year in advance + proof yo'r GOD.

No PLUR
Fo' R'estate...
:\

PEACE
UnSquare
:)

Wow.
I sound like a bad pill.

sydkiwi said:

...you obviouslly havent tried house hunting in melb...insomnia and i had our forms already filled out BEFORE we went to the inspections. Most places if you drop the forms off after are already under application. I went during the week to pick up the forms, copied all our id and then on the day we rocked up and made ncie with the agent and handed our forms straight over before she left the property. Granted I looked at about 10 places but we got the one we needed.

Finding a rental if you are single, female, under 25 and earning under 40K a year is not going to be fun. Its not as bad as it sounds but you just have to persist.

kittymeow said:
Where the fuck is Horsham??

;)

its about 3.5 hrs left of melbourne... towards adelaide!

its HUGE! 14,000 population!

Really close to the Grampians....

yeah its shit haha

Yeah having the forms filled out before hand is definitely a good idea.

*starfalls69* said:
...you obviouslly havent tried house hunting in melb...insomnia and i had our forms already filled out BEFORE we went to the inspections. Most places if you drop the forms off after are already under application. I went during the week to pick up the forms, copied all our id and then on the day we rocked up and made ncie with the agent and handed our forms straight over before she left the property. Granted I looked at about 10 places but we got the one we needed.

Finding a rental if you are single, female, under 25 and earning under 40K a year is not going to be fun. Its not as bad as it sounds but you just have to persist.

Poor you

we're a couple and aged 30 and earn alot more than $40k between us :p

UnSquare said:
The rulez go now:

View the property on a week day if you can before the massive crowds on the weekend - usually reject'd; or told to come back fo' tha viewin'....
look presentable when viewing the property - if you aint 3 good-lookin' girls in steady employment, wear a costume... you'll at least get attention....
have the form ready to fill in on the spot if you can... then burn it unless you fill all the other boxes... then pray yo' aint under 30-35...
the bond + rent ready to transfer over.... +1 year in advance + proof yo'r GOD.

No PLUR
Fo' R'estate...
:\

PEACE
UnSquare
:)

Wow.
I sound like a bad pill.

lol

Don't matter, I"m just glad we got this place at the start of the rental crisis

sydkiwi said:
Poor you

we're a couple and aged 30 and earn alot more than $40k between us :p

FYI Bragging is very un-becoming.

Not poor us at all. We have a nice 3bdrm home that is close to all our friends and his family. Thats all that matters. Our combined income is more than enough to support us and our lifestyle. If i was 30 i certainlly would want to be earning more than 40k and that would just be my income. Im nearlly 28 and am already earning over 44k a yr.

I was echoing a press statement re- being single, on a benefit or low income etc.

Yeah having the forms filled out before hand is definitely a good idea.

most real estate sites will let you down load the application form. Otherwise you can grab one from their offices.

^^^

Are they allowed to ask for that much upfront? I wonder how long it will take before bond isnt 4 weeks and 4weeks...

At least it will deter lease breakers though! Who would want to waste that much money!

Have Been lookin'. Is Becomin' Quite'ish Common In Syd, In Areas...*

No link.

But yo'.

Until Someone
Can Proove Me Wrong...
...I'm prob. missin'
a techni',
but,
well,
I think they can ax' fo'
MANY parameters,
includin' that one... (?...)