• SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

cheating bf and the $$ I owe him

Pay cheating BF $2000 back

• Pay him back,be above the drama

Votes: 111 72.5%
  • Eye for an eye,screw me I screw you

Votes: 42 27.5%

• Total voters
Pay him back, you'll feel better about yourself. And that actually IS worth 2000 dollars. It's worth all the money in the world, frankly.
Sorry about you geting your heart broken, though. That sucks.

Coolio said:
Bullshit. I don't buy into this. You're only morally obligated to pay back what debt is in your interest to pay back. That means if you think you can win in court because the terms of the loan aren't all on paper or there isn't a proper paper trail of receipts... or if the lender doesn't have the title of the property you borrowed to purchase, if you owe the lender more money than the property you used the loan to buy is now worth, etc... fuck it. Default on it and let them deal with their problem, that's what they get for being a lender.

Especially a bank or a significant other. They're only loaning you money because they're going to earn interest or get sex out of it.

I removed the morality from the situation. Your morals vary from mine; I pay debts incurred whether or not the other party could force me in court to pay them.

As for title, good title is warranted in a real estate transaction - that is why title is examined as part of the due-diligence process while a transaction is being contemplated. If good and valuable title cannot be given to the property, then the property cannot be sold without repairing title.

Your statements about banks/SOs lending solely to earn interest or get sex are shortsighted at best, as well. Banks actually take hits on some first-time homebuyer programs, as one example. And sex - that's totally false unless sex is written into the IOU or said in the verbal contract. In the latter, we call that "prostitution" and in (most parts of the) US where prostitution is illegal, a claim cannot be brought to recover funds earned illegally.

d-phex: did you not read my post? The OP promised to pay back the $2K to her ex, and that was a contract, a legally binding one. The bond of trust was as to the repayment of the loan; not a covenant not to cheat in a relationship.

It sucks, but it's reality.

I'm sorry Mariposa, I didn't read your post. I also did not read that it was a legally binding contract.

Definitely pay that loan back stat. You don't want to ruin your credit or whatever would be at stake (your life, in some cases).

That depends on what you owe him the money for... if it's a drug debt, you might wanna pay that back--because dealers don't care about your relationship trouble.

If it's just bullshit money, let him get evicted and THEN pay him back... let him flounder for a while.

onetwothreefour said:
oh look, this thread neatly sums up the two kinds of people in the world

yeah... people who are honest, and people who are full of shit :D

i don't believe for a second that most of you would pay $2000 back to a cheating partner. that's just the proper objective and moral response for a bunch of people behind computer screens with no emotional attachment to the situation.

if i were in a traditional relationship (read: one where cheating is among the ultimate dealbreakers) and i was unfaithful, i certainly wouldn't have the arrogance to expect my partner to pay back any debts they owed me.

the bonds of trust have been broken, and as such, all bets are off.

paying him back is unquestionably the "right" thing to do, but in situations like these a different sense of personal justice tends to prevail. welcome to the real world.

I don't think I could shaft someone on a $2000 loan even if they cheated on me. I'd feel too grimy if I didn't.

@lterEgo said:

i don't believe for a second that most of you would pay $2000 back to a cheating partner. that's just the proper objective and moral response for a bunch of people behind computer screens with no emotional attachment to the situation.

if i were in a traditional relationship (read: one where cheating is among the ultimate dealbreakers) and i was unfaithful, i certainly wouldn't have the arrogance to expect my partner to pay back any debts they owed me.

the bonds of trust have been broken, and as such, all bets are off.

paying him back is unquestionably the "right" thing to do, but in situations like these a different sense of personal justice tends to prevail. welcome to the real world.

Exactly :)

^ Yeah, welcome to the real world where you can be taken to court for your unpaid debt. Tell that to the judge and he/she will laugh in your face :eek:

@lterEgo said:

i'm actually surprised, and saddened, to see that there are so many people who wouldn't pay it back. i'm not saying that cheating's justifiable - far from it. nor am i saying that i'm infallible. i've often considered the hypothetical situation wherein a close friend or relative has been raped or killed by some maniac fuck. morality (mine, at least) dictates that i let the law take its course. but i doubt i could prevent myself from taking revenge of some form - though i realise it would be wrong.

but all else being equal, in this instance i'd pay the money back in a second, i don't give a fuck what the status quo apparently says. shit, this ain't murder or rape. it's small fry in comparison. (people fuck people over every day. deal with it.) what disappoints me is that, apparently, the status quo thinks that two wrongs make a right in even minor examples such as this. i learnt that shit wasn't the case when i was a little kid; it took me till about sixteen or seventeen to put it into practice. i assume most people here are, legally at least, adults. so grow the fuck up.

p.s. my reaction to the hypothetical rape/murder is as above. i actually hope, in reality, i would let the law do its work. i'm just pointing out that i can't guarantee that to be so.

i am shocked and amazed at the high number of people who think that she should pay him back.

I suppose I truly am a horrible person. No chance in hell I would EVER pay back someone who truly emotionally hurt me.

I would not only NOT pay him the money, but I would hope and pray that he got booted from his apartment...

If you DO get taken to court and lose you can set up a payment plan for like 40 dollars every couple of weeks. (depending on how much you get paid, maybe even less)

yes, yes you are. (see, there's nothing at all wrong with you hoping and praying that they get booted from their apartment. it's a completely valid wish. one that i'd perhaps even agree with. but actually acting on that - by, say, not paying said person money owed to them - is tantamount to theft. fuckit, it IS theft. you might as well go into their apartment and steal their fucking wallet.)

shit, what the hell is wrong with y'all?

Well, back in the day I was a thief, so perhaps my morals have been permanently altered to being capable of not giving a shit.

But, I don't steal from people anymore. In all seriousness, I am an extremely revenge seeking individual. Most people on here really agree that she should pay them back. I just happen to disagree. I know with complete certainty that if a person cheated on me I would not pay them back anything and revel in the fact that they were suffering worse due to my non-payment.

Scumbag move? yes. But some would argue that I am a scumbag.

theft is not necessarily wrong, you know. legality often correlates with morality, but not necessarily, so don't make this a cop-out.

but your third paragraph seems reasonable to me. certainly, i'm sad if most people wouldn't pay the person back. but i'm not saying they will. i'm saying they should. apparently you agree.

How old are u? In 5 years its unlikely you will regret paying him back. Its possible NON-payment could be a problem.

Snowbear said:
How old are u? In 5 years its unlikely you will regret paying him back. Its possible NON-payment could be a problem.

me? I am 29 years old. I still wouldn't pay. If someone fucks me over they have my wrath to deal with. It has always been that way. Age really has nothing to do with it.

I am still completely baffled at how many people say to pay this guy back. I bet some people are saying that just to be 'just' or right.

Kinda like when you tell someone you would return a suitcase full of money you found on the side of the street. Most people say one thing and do another. Imagine your heart is ripped out by someone, and you then have to fork over 2000 dollars?

Not in a million fucking years would I do it.