the guitar players megathread

define cheap?

this behringer 'vintage' delay can be got new for $25:

VD400_P0508_Top_XL.png

you should be able to pick up a second hand boss dd3 for maybe $60 or $70...

alasdair

^ Great as always Dan.

Over the years, I've progressed from using light to heavy plectrums. In particular, my Dad gave me a Fender (351 shape - Premium Celluloid) Heavy Plectrum & have never really looked back... I swear I play better using it - I have a lot of other plectrums but I'm nowhere near as accurate with them now I'm used to those heavy picks. (~1mm I think; Incidentally, I use a Stagg 1.2mm for my Acoustic mostly... slightly more rounded end).

According to Wikipedia:

Generally, a heavier pick will produce a darker sound than a lighter pick, but the shape of the tip has the most influence on the sound. A pointed tip will produce a brighter, more focused sound, while a rounded tip will produce a rounder, less defined sound. Heavier picks offer more control in all circumstances, but it requires more time and skill to learn to use one. Light picks are often used by beginners who don't have the skill to use a heavy pick.

Anyone else find they are attached to particular plectrums?

Pack of 10 I picked up off eBay because I lost said plectrum:

ff84d101-1835-4eb3-ba82-3f2b6f72fcda.jpg

Being a bassist,I use mostly heavy picks. Fender heavies or Dunlop Gator Grips are the norm. If I`m playing guitar,I tend to use what my dad favored, medium Fender celluloid pics.

I get made fun of for using a pick while playing bass, but I rock it!

Lol,happens to me once in a while.

I`ve been using a pick on bass from day one.

My dad was a guitarist and would play songs around the house all of the time. Most of my childhood memories involve my dad jamming out one tune or another. There were guitar picks all over the place: on the coffee table,both end tables,night stands,on the kitchen table,out on the front porch,in the car and even my mom`s ash trays.
As a kid,I used to pretend I was climbing up a mountain,the mountain being a full Marshall stack and another half stack.

So when I finally started playing bass,using a pick was just the natural thing to do.

Now a days,I use my fingers mostly when I play my fretless P bass. Helps me get a deeper more mellow tone.

Otherwise,I rock the pick!

i've watched this like 5 times now, its fucken gold

and lmao@ deaner w/ the opie scratches every 10 seconds

Lots of talent in this thread, I like it! http://www.reverbnation.com/rickywilliams4/songs I dont have files on the computer i'm on, but here is the reverbnation page for the band I am in with my father(just me and him). The band name isn't correct, he didn't really know what he was doing when he made the page lol were going to make a new one soon. Currently only 3 songs on there, all originals. Plenty more coming soon. My father is the bassist and vocals/backing. I play guitar, keys and vocals. In my opinion our vocal work is the weakest point so dont be too harsh =p. The vocals in the song "Yo" will be removed, kinda silly but it was fun hah. All drums were made with drum machines. We've just started using Pro Tools studio, "Yo" being our first and only song using it so far, so quality will improve(hopefully) as we become more acquainted with the studio.

Last edited:
Very nice work man, I saw your "Whole Lotta Love" cover a few posts back, which you nailed, just so happens my other band is covering that song. when I get my equipment over here I'll pick up where you left off with violin bow improv and lead and finish the song out =p

Thanku mate :) yeah deffo pick up where i left off, would love to see a recording

Got a playlist with some of the covery things i've done, the sound quality isnt as good on some cos i wasnt recording direct input, have a look when you get a chance

Random Youtube Guitar Covers Etc

Might record some more stuff soon

Listened to your playlist the other day, good stuff man. I recorded the rest of Whole Lotta Love, I haven't had the chance to get my violin bow though :( so i just took it from the solo. None of my good equipment here atm, so this was recorded with a broken computer mic propped in front of my amp lol, and in a crappy studio so I didn't take much time to mix/clean everything up. Backing track is without vocals so i just sprinkled improv throughout.

http://chirb.it/r781dq

Last edited:
i've watched this like 5 times now, its fucken gold

and lmao@ deaner w/ the opie scratches every 10 seconds

Lmao at the Jimmy Page part, he's so right though
Also Roger, are you a below or above the dick guy lol

i go above the dick, below the dick aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrist

When it comes to playing guitar,I`m a above the dick kinda dude.
When I`m playing bass,I sling it about dick level or a bit lower.

^yeah bro, years of heavy cigarette smoking and hard drug use aren't conducive to maintaining a young appearance i guess. gene is looking even worse, the guy is ~44 and looks 65 at least.