• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

well....something i'm experienced w/.....sorta

go w/ the Navy. i guess i'm saying this bc my family is a big navy family. but my dad was in the navy for 20 years he got to do EOD (explosive ordinance disposal), secret service work, leutinant (sp) commander, a cop a one point, and has traveled all around the world. the benefits from what i gather are much greater with the navy. also, if you interested in flying, you can also do this with the navy, it's not just ships and submarines. there are many different areas you can be in the navy, such as dolphin training, and you can change areas if you'd wish.

i have a feeling the retirement checks are pretty good as well bc my dad is making enough to support our house, help put my bro through college and help put me through college.

hope i helped!!

peace and love
me

dr: I was went to USAF BMT. I also have Asthma, but did not really know until bootcamp. You think it is mild now, but it will mosdef find a way to act up! During my short-lived USAF experience, I loved it. However, I am currently dated a 1/C Midshipman @ USNA & can see many positive aspects in choosing Navy too. Goodluck!

I almost joined the Navy, it came down to setting up an appointment to go stay at this Hotel overnight and spend the entire next day doing physical exams and at the end swearing in.

Make sure you get it all on paper like others have said, and make copies, and copy your copies. If you screwed around on the ASVAB take the chance to retake the test before you swear in.

As for Navy basic, I did alot of research about it. I heard not to call anyone sir, cause your not in the Army. Don't wear a Navy shirt. Don't wear any clothes that have any kind of designs or writing on them, they'll just make fun of it as soon as they see you. From what my recruiter told me, basic is alot of schooling (I wouldn't believe that, I think it's more physical).

At the end of Navy basic there is a course you have to complete. You'll have to complete simulated fire drills aboard ships, drag heavy ass dummies/people around who have "passed out". I think there was something about a wind tunnel with a ship in it and you had to be able to complete alot of stuff under storm like conditions. Go into smoke filled rooms and find dummies. Stuff like that, and it's all in one night, and you'll be running a couple miles in between each building where the drills take place. It's sort of the "eliminator". If you finish it your done with boot camp.

Also, when your looking at the list of possible jobs, pick something you'll be able to use when you get out of the military. Super Cool Bomb Designer might be fun for a few years, then you'll find out no one in the civilian world needs someone to design missles and such.

You'll also go through fire fighting courses, everyone in the Navy has some fire fighting training. When your on a ship in the Ocean and there's a fire you have no one but the crew to put it out.

I guess that's all I can think of.

Dont join either. All branches are not worth it (I was in the USAF)

I did all I could to get out with a general (under-honorable) discharge.

Get a nice paying govt job, just dont enlist.

My 0.02

I'll tell you the mind fuck of the military is unlike any other drug. In the end though, the perspective is fantastic. If you are thinking of National Guard - think again. You will be activated, might as well get some good training and go full force. This day and age there is no reserve.
Marine Corp is a religion, but its insane and fun Parris Island will eat your brain, totally worth it
Army - less cult like, still insane and fun - Green Berets are wacked, try it
Navy- Total prison on the boat, insane fun - plus you can try for the Seal
Airforce - Sanitary, nerdly insane ??? Airplanes are beautiful.

Why on earth would anyone join to be a cop???? Most townie cops are not military, just fat flakes. Staties are all Marine.

Marine training?

I was thinking about joining the US Marines.

what type of training do you have to do to get ready?

and is there anyone on here with experience?

if so please help.

My bestfriend is a marine. I really wouldn't suggest it at all. He absolutely hates it. He joined a few weeks before Sept. 11th and has spent over 18 months in Iraq. So out of his 4 years almost half were at war. Bootcamp is a nightmare, he broke both his legs running so much.

Join the Air Force or the Navy its a way better deal.

If you insist on joining the Marines expect a rough transition. Bootcamp is 3 months of hell. They have you running on nearly zero sleep, running constantly and doing thousands of sittups/pushups/pullups. If you are going to train I suggest you are able to run 5 miles at a decent rate - 2 miles in ~12 minutes or so, and able to do as many situpts/pushups you can do in 2 minutes and as many military style pullups as you can do. They have guides online and books that tell you exactly what to do.

Overall they will break you down physically and psychologically no matter how hard you train and it will really suck - oh and they don't let you quit.

If you want to "pre-train" for boot camp, run at least 2 miles a day for starters. Lot's of isometric exercises, like pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups. PT until it hurts, then PT some more. Blood is a good thing. ;) Don't worry about the requirements for enlisted types, you aren't enlisted yet. There is really no exercise regime that can prepare you for something like The Marines... unless you know any former Marines that are willing to run your ass into the ground.

Psychonaut777
Well no shit they don't let you quit....lol

If you wanna be a bad ass, join the marines...hehe
The marines is tough. My ex was marine, and my now fiance just got out after 8 years. It isn't easy, I think you know that.
If you want to join the service though, and want to go the easy route...then join the air force, or navy. Their barracks are like hotels compared to the marines. The USMC may be harder, and may not be as easy going as the others, but if you want discipline, and want to be appreciated join the marines. (not saying you don't get that in the others). It is tough, but that is why they are Marines. ;)

As Web said....just get yourself in the best fitness that you can. Because once you join, you will get your ass ran into the ground. :)

I like how people glorify it and say how appreciated marines are. From what I've seen it isn't anything like that at all..

Being a former USARMY Soldier, I appreciate the hell out of Marines. They go out and die before I have to, and that means a lot.

From what I've seen, everyone is underappreciated. There are always going to be the haters... they are the loud ones. People who support the military don't organize rallies or marches, and they don't verbally and physically (stupid!) attack service members. You don't hear from the fans because they are quiet.

I thought all the services were paid the same?

Marines are basically the best regular soldiers when compared to regular army troops.

If you're really serious about being a badass soldier, you should get into shape, then consider the 2 following options.

Army BasicTraining>Airborne>Ranger
Navy dont know the step's>SEAL

Special Op's just sounds cool eh?

thanks for all the advise everyone.

If I join its going to be in about 2 years or so....I really dont want to do the whole war thing (call me a pussy)

I have started getting in shape, and I see the Marines as one HUGE step in that area. and I mean....come on...there are very few people in the military more honored than the marines. (other than the Navy Seals)

I admit I'm not where I need to be right now, but give me 2 years and I know I will be.

and I doubt the living conditions will be anything bad for me, I never was sheltered as a kid.

but I mean, I know it will be hard, and I am really looking for a challange in life. The only problem I would have is the war area. I'm not really a fan of killing someone I dont know because I know they're doing the same thing I am. They're as scared as me, and they all have kids and familes back home like we do.

I just want some of the respect that comes from being a marine. marines are considered to be a family.

Where could I find some of that info online?

Thanks for all the help!

Psychonaut777 said:
The marines are the lowest funded and lowest paid

Lowest funded, true. Lowest paid... bullshit. All enlisted and officer ranks are paid the same, across all services. Marines in general get paid less because its a lot harder to get promoted past Lance Corporal (E-3) in the Marines. So basically you have a lot of lower-enlisted men running around getting paid less than everyone else... but it all has to do with the fact that they can't get promoted to E-4. Sometimes it's because he's a dirtbag, or there just aren't slots for that position.

well I mean.... I dont want to toot my whistle but I think i'm fairly smart, so I could probably go to officers school somewhere down the line and actually make a career out of the military.

Honestly, dont even bother with the military unless you go in as an officer. Imagine the stupidest people you know giving you orders all day long and not being able to do shit about it. That, and if you dont wanna go to war, dont join. Expecialy if Bushwanker gets elected again.

DB

^ or unless you want to kill people

my main reason for wanting to become a ranger or a seal, if I actually decided to do it.

dbighead2 said:
well I mean.... I dont want to toot my whistle but I think i'm fairly smart, so I could probably go to officers school somewhere down the line and actually make a career out of the military.

My advice to you is, do NOT enlist with the idea that you will go to officer candidate school. So many people get sucked into this and NEVER make it. It's very difficult to make it out of the enlisted ranks into being an officer or warrant officer. If you want to be an officer, act like it. BE an officer, start out as one.