Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Nutmeg - First Experiences - The Nutmeg Chronicles

your trip reports were so funny....... "it sucked balls"!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I can just imagine all the shitty moments i had tripping where I shoulda said, "this sucks balls" and it woulda all been better

Any opinions on Nutmeg? Is it worth it?

Tried it, worth trying if you are poor/keen to experiment/illegal stuff has all dried up

just for clarification on my part, nutmeg isn't some slang is it?

Nutmeg as is the seasoning or whatever?

Do you need the actual nut (is it a nut?) or just the bottle for sprinkling on food?

Nutmeg as in the seasoning :) You can use fresh nuts and grind it yourself (heard of many people breaking coffee grinders doing this) or you can just buy the ground stuff in the little bottle in the spice aisle, which worked fine for me

dankstersauce said:
maybe next time try getting some gel caps online. From what i've heard eating it is supposed to be horrible, or maybe try parachuting a couple small tissues with the shit.

You can get gelcaps from pretty much any health/natural foods store, and they are hella cheap.
But yeah, they are definitely the way the go. I recommend caps for the consumption of anything with an unpleasant taste/things you don't want getting all up in your teeth/as a great alternative to tissue paper parachutes (no worrying about rippage or anything).

I don't think people should judge too harshly. When you're under 21 and can't get any drugs whatsover nutmeg, dyphenhydramine, dxm are always there; a new friend seemingly awaiting you with wide open arms into a mysterious new world. Quit saying that nutmeg is a deleriant by the way no, it is NOT. It does have pscyadelic and euphoric effects. And you will probably always take way too much your first time unless you're really careful about it.

Nutmeg should not be taken regularly however. Besides the fact that you'll feel like a desperate sailor in a cooped up pirate ship is that nutmeg is bad for your liver. I used to take it weekly with any other drug or psuedodrug I could scrounge for about two or three months before I hit rock bottom. Your liver starts hurting.

As always I find the best way to take it is to mix it up (about a tablespoon) in your mouth with liquid and chug it like a pill. God I cringe reading about people mixing it in stuff.

^ That sounds like a pretty reasonable method, I mean it's going to taste bad but what doesn't? Most drugs are not too pretty on the taste buds...
I agree that people shouldn't be too harsh in condemning a drug. As always, body chemistry varies and everyone has their own prefence as to what they want to feel like when they are under the unfluence.

OK so I know there's been old speculation by Shulgin that allylbenzenes such as safrole and nutmeg oil constituents may go thru some process in the body to form thier amphetamine counterparts by transamination? Has this theory been disproven yet? It seems like someone could have gotten to the bottom of this by now and determined once and for all whether or not this takes place. I read somewhere that rats can do it.
I mean it seems rather simple... ingest some sassafras/nutmeg oil, then get a piss test or reagent kit (I know that pharmacies sell the piss tests for $20-30 otc) and see if it tests positive for exstacy/amphetamines. The reagent kit might be better for testing non-metabolites as I'm not sure if the allybenzenes can be metabolized into the same metabolites (phenylacetates?) as thier amphetamines.
Or... I've always wondered if ingesting these essential oils along with an MAO-B inhibitor like selegiline would potentiate the small amount of amphetamines that might be produced to yeild some REAL interesting fx, without having to worry so much about toxicity.

Just out of interest, I've found the pre-ground and actual nutmegs both have the same effects when it comes to physical stuff like lethargy, red-eye, cottonmouth etc. The actual nutmegs seem to be more potent for the psychological effects. Apparently this is to do with the oil, and the nutmegs do seem to be more oily when you grind them fresh as opposed to buying the pre-ground stuff, so this may have some merit.

By FAR the easiest way to ingest nutmeg is to get the actual nutmegs, and using a nutcracker (or hammer) break them up into swallowable size pieces. No bad taste whatsoever, and your stomach acids will do the rest of the work for you. Seeing as how you're waiting 6+ hours for it to kick in, not looking for a rush as fast as possible, it doesn't matter that it will take a little while for your stomach to break the pieces up and distribute it through the bloodstream. Just make sure the pieces aren't too sharp or too big.

Finally, I'd agree with some earlier posts and say that if you are going to do it, 15g is plenty for a first time; I've never done more than 20g and this is enough to feel the effects for 24+ hours after it kicks in.

I'm interested in everyone's interest here. It's not one of my favorite highs...but every now and then I go back to it because it's different than most other things. It does take 7 hours to come on. The reason it's not 'of concern' to the public is because of its horrible taste; it's rarely used recreationally in comparison to the frequency other over the counter substances are used. If you want it to be more pleasureable, I've heard of people making chocolate shakes with it...pretty much hides the flavor. Peace :)

^I think it's disappointing that people are turned off by the taste, usually because their first time they just shovel the powder into their mouths. If you take the time to find a method that you can get it down easy, then it can be fun to revisit once in a while.

So what is the effect if you just take a little, say 5-10 grams. Is it like taking a few Xanax (I read that somewhere, don't know if it's true). I'm just curious. Thanks.

RPG

Not sure, never had the fortune to try some benzos.

I'd guess 5-10gms would probably just make you pretty relaxed; one thing I have noticed is that whatever the dose you get the worst red-eye. But it does affect people differently. For example two friends tried it on the same night for the first time. Both took 20gms of fresh nutmeg. One slept for over a day after it kicked in, the other was pretty much normal except feeling a bit tired and killer red-eye.

Oh yeah another easy way to get it down is this: Cut the fresh nutmegs into halves. Get the strongest mouthwash you can find (something with like 40% alcohol) and rinse your mouth out like normal except keep it in there for like 2 mins and make sure you wash it over your tongue a lot. Then spit it out and take a half nutmeg and chew it up and swallow. If you don't move it around too much with your tongue and swallow pretty quickly, the mouthwash should have numbed your tongue enough so you won't even taste a thing.

RoxiPoppyGirl said:
So what is the effect if you just take a little, say 5-10 grams. Is it like taking a few Xanax (I read that somewhere, don't know if it's true). I'm just curious. Thanks.

RPG

I doubt nutmeg would be like benzos at any dose. I took a low dose of nutmeg before and it created a relaxed and spacey high for about 2 days. It was interesting but mildly worrisome too because it just never ended. it was also pretty subtle. I won't repeat it... it interfered with me too much and lasted too long for a marginal and subtle high.

Oh, and blau, you're not missing much with benzos. Such boring drugs (in my opinion anyway).

When I was younger I tried mixing about 1-2 tablespoons of nutmeg and Pepsi and drinking it and nothing happened.

Xorkoth said:
I did a low dose of nutmeg once. It wasn't bad... not really particularly good though either. It lasted for about 2 days and was subtle and mellow... I enjoyed it while at a state park for the first day. I couldn't effectively have sex for 2-3 days, I think it's worth mentioning.

guess I should take advantage of girlfriend on her summer family vacation!

Seriously, it bothers me that nobody has even bought a piss test and taken nutmeg and urinated upon thine dipstick, observing o'er thine NIDA-5 categorical groupings for dots? Or even a better test, like ordered themselves a urinanalysis at a lab? Looks like I just might have to take and come down from nutmeg by friday

nutmeg and milk is my choice. it seems to mix well, with aid of a blender.
Im jelous of your intense experiences with it. Ive done 4 fair sized nuts and alls I got was a high some where between DXM-PCP-ketamine

psychedelicious said:
guess I should take advantage of girlfriend on her summer family vacation!

Seriously, it bothers me that nobody has even bought a piss test and taken nutmeg and urinated upon thine dipstick, observing o'er thine NIDA-5 categorical groupings for dots? Or even a better test, like ordered themselves a urinanalysis at a lab? Looks like I just might have to take and come down from nutmeg by friday

I can barely understand what you have written but I know for a fact the terms 'NIDA-5' and 'nutmeg' don't belong in the same thread

"ALL" you got was a high like pcp-k-dxm.
A. that soundz like bullshit 2me
B. how the hell could you get higher than pcp-k-dxm high?

Any opinions on Nutmeg? Is it worth it?

Worth a try if you get fresh nutmeg, start lkow and are careful. You probably won't like or dislike it much either way.

Very nice report!

I once tried nutmeg. It was horrible. I got two dried but not pre-ground nutmegs, and grated them up, mixed the 3-ish tablespoons with some milk, and skulled it as fast as possible. This was at about 10 pm.

It was horrible, I nearly threw up, then I just lay down and tried to relax. My eyes felt like they were swollen to about 5 times normal, everything hurt to move. I didn't get any hallucinations, which was annoying. I woke up about every half an hour throughout the night with a horrible dry mouth. Way worse than cottonmouth from smoking, it felt like there was no moisture. I drank about 2 litres that night.

The next day I woke up at about 11, and had to do a bunch of school work. I couldn't concentrate on anything, and my eyes were bloodshot. I could barely eat all day and I was just exhausted.

I would say don't bother.