• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Treating opiate cravings with suboxone?

Cool, I think I'm getting an idea of how it all works now. I'm pretty sure only low-moderate tolerance people/opiate naive people can get high off it, judging by what I've read/heard off others. I reckon I could get high off it, even though I do opiates (nearly) everyday. Only stronger ones like oxy/heroin twice a week max though. Even that is pushing it for me.

This might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the blocker is to prevent IV use (although it fails), I'm not sure on its sublingual BA though.

Why would you want to get addicted to suboxone to get rid of oxycodone cravings? Sounds stupid to get addicted to an even harder substance simply for the fact that you have no ways to cope with a craving. Get some therapy, goto rehab, or live with it.

No one ever has to touch another drug for the rest of their life, discounting ones that you need medically. If you take a drug that causes withdrawal if you don't take it, and you're not perscribed, then it's time to detox.

If you take a drug to satisfy an urge, then you are making a decision to. If you can't handle the urges, you should get psychological help or rehabilitation, because you need to find other ways to deal with cravings besides taking a drug.

Don't blame the cravings, it's your lack of willpower that makes you take the drug. Nothing else. You can learn ways to deal with it and improve your willpower, so it is entirely your fault if you take a drug when resources are available to help you stop.

If resources aren't available, then do something about it. Again, everything you do in this life, or don't do, is ALL YOUR DOING. Don't blame a substance, a subconscious impulse, or lack of motivation. All these can be worked through. If you don't think so, you most likely are ignorant and have never given professional help a real shot.

Change your life around. Get a grip.

center said:
Why would you want to get addicted to suboxone to get rid of oxycodone cravings? Sounds stupid to get addicted to an even harder substance simply for the fact that you have no ways to cope with a craving. Get some therapy, goto rehab, or live with it.

No one ever has to touch another drug for the rest of their life, discounting ones that you need medically. If you take a drug that causes withdrawal if you don't take it, and you're not perscribed, then it's time to detox.

If you take a drug to satisfy an urge, then you are making a decision to. If you can't handle the urges, you should get psychological help or rehabilitation, because you need to find other ways to deal with cravings besides taking a drug.

Don't blame the cravings, it's your lack of willpower that makes you take the drug. Nothing else. You can learn ways to deal with it and improve your willpower, so it is entirely your fault if you take a drug when resources are available to help you stop.

If resources aren't available, then do something about it. Again, everything you do in this life, or don't do, is ALL YOUR DOING. Don't blame a substance, a subconscious impulse, or lack of motivation. All these can be worked through. If you don't think so, you most likely are ignorant and have never given professional help a real shot.

Change your life around. Get a grip.

amen to that.

to OP,
1. u dont need suboxone for its prescribed reason - opiate withdrawl
2. cravings?? r u kidding me. if ur not addicted. but u crave, NA will make u think twice about how rotton u r.

guess what i crave blowjobs, candy, and a shit load of other things.

but i have some will power.

btw this almost sounds like an excuse to get high off sub. n u dont want that.

GenericMind said:
So has anyone here been prescribed Suboxone for cravings?

Yes, and I did not require detox. I went through a bupe program associated with a large, teaching hospital in NYC, and was then referred to a doctor in the community for maintenance.

Nik Dynosaur said:
i've been browsing around for a county run buprenorphine clinic, and patients assistance places and seeking assistance from the manufacturer. With any luck at all i won't be paying that much for too long.

You should contact the pharmaceutical company directly, as they often have patient assistance programs.

I never got rid of cravings with suboxone or bupe in general. I simply hate it...

Methadone is my thing

KompelZ said:
Cool, I think I'm getting an idea of how it all works now. I'm pretty sure only low-moderate tolerance people/opiate naive people can get high off it, judging by what I've read/heard off others. I reckon I could get high off it, even though I do opiates (nearly) everyday. Only stronger ones like oxy/heroin twice a week max though. Even that is pushing it for me.

This might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the blocker is to prevent IV use (although it fails), I'm not sure on its sublingual BA though.

Jesus H Christ another person looking to get high off Suboxone!

KompelZ said:
See my thread in basic drug discussion if you'd like to add something guys. Thanks.

So when the suboxone is prescribed for cravings, does it help by getting you high (and thus, fulfilling your need for drugs) or does it help the cravings through another mechanism? Perhaps do to with the receptors/transmitters it stimulates? An example of this is when stimulant addicts are prescribed nortyptyline.

I really would like some help to clarify all this.

Partial agonist which means high affinity, low intrinsic activity. Think of as opening a door halfway.

Blondie said:
well you could just lie, cause they have no way of knowing if u really went or not.. that's how i got my friend to do it as well

Great. No wonder why public assistance programs don't work. What's wrong with doing what they ask?

OP, why don't you try asking your doctor about narcan or some other opiate antagonist, if your not willing to try therapy. It supposedly keeps opiate cravings at bay very well. You should also look into natural ways of releasing endogenous opiates.

wow alot of activity on this thread since the sun went down and i quit BL'in last night. im disgusted. not at those who went to detox then took bupe after, which is part of a program that treats the psychological aspect of addiction. what pisses me off is those that straight up admit they take it for cravings, basically, they want to catch a high off it. and im not flaming any particular person, nor will i respond to any dumbass replies flaming me, because i have enough of a life outside this laptop to spend time fighting someone ive never even seen, over a keyboard. bottom line: youre using the program to get high, taking up someone with a serious problem's spot.

^ Yea, that's like going on welfare just because your lazy and don't want to work.

^on the other side of the coin is the 'what if's' that you haven't considered. what if those using suboxone for their cravings weren't? would they be on the street scoring heroin or pills? would their lives be worse off if they weren't on suboxone? what if the suboxone is keeping them from becoming full blown addicts?

these are all legitimate questions that have answers.

if the quality of life is improved because of somebody using suboxone, that makes it worth it in my opinion, since after all, suboxone programs are designed to improve the quality of life for addicts and users alike.

on the other hand, those that use the program to stockpile suboxone for a rainy day, i strongly disagree with this behavior. as do the moderators of this forum [Re: Speak your mind on the OD rules]. in my opinion, if somebody is using the program to get high on suboxone then it's a hell of a lot better then if they were scoring on the streets. i'd rather see them in the program and using the program correctly instead of seeing them on the corner shooting dope regardless of whether they are physically addicted or not.

Tsukasa said:
OP, why don't you try asking your doctor about narcan or some other opiate antagonist, if your not willing to try therapy. It supposedly keeps opiate cravings at bay very well. You should also look into natural ways of releasing endogenous opiates.

Narcan is the same as naloxone which is an injectable opioid antagonist useful in treating an overdose. Naloxone is also in Suboxone, but has poor sublingual absorption. However, if you shoot up Suboxone, the naloxone part of the drug works to prevent buprenorphine from binding to the receptor and causing a high or overdose.

You may have meant naltrexone which is an opiate antagonist that is taken orally. It does not work to decrease cravings but will block any (most) opiates from binding to the receptor. Naltrexone does seem to help with alcohol cravings and is used that way medically.

There is a ton of info on Suboxone elsewhere in this forum.

I think your suggestion to engage in activity that releases natural endorphins (such as sex) is a great idea.

celebratefor20 said:
wow alot of activity on this thread since the sun went down and i quit BL'in last night. im disgusted. not at those who went to detox then took bupe after, which is part of a program that treats the psychological aspect of addiction. what pisses me off is those that straight up admit they take it for cravings, basically, they want to catch a high off it. and im not flaming any particular person, nor will i respond to any dumbass replies flaming me, because i have enough of a life outside this laptop to spend time fighting someone ive never even seen, over a keyboard. bottom line: youre using the program to get high, taking up someone with a serious problem's spot.

I take bupe for cravings and DEFINITELY do not get high off of it because I use it as prescribed. What would be the point otherwise? Trade one drug for the other? Why not just continue to shoot heroin then?

I don't like the fact that people use it to get high, either. Gives the drug a bad reputation. Plus I have no idea how they do it given the way the drug works.

I chose to go on suboxone mainly for financial reasons. It also helps that it's legal and easy to get. I just got tired of having to pay a ridiculous amount to stay high and I was tired of getting inconsistent "hookups" from various sources. Ever since I've been on suboxone my life has been easier and less stressful because I don't have to worry about getting high anymore.
I DO get enjoyable effects from suboxone. I consider the effects to be mainly therapeutic. Sub helps me a lot with anxiety and depression. I must admit I do sometimes feel "high" when I'm on suboxone, but I don't think it's such a terrible thing. I don't abuse the medication, that's not the way I see it at least. I do snort some of my sub, but that's just to get an increase in bio-availability and to increase peak plasma concentrations. I might also take a little more sub than what I absolutely need, but my doctor doesn't have a problem prescribing me a high dose.
Eventually I need to start tapering off this stuff, but for now I'm just glad I don't have to worry about chasing a high I can't sustain. I highly recommend suboxone to anyone who uses opiates daily. If you don't use it daily, I don't know if it'd be the best idea for you to attempt to use sub. I think it's almost as easy to get addicted to suboxone as it is to any full agonist opioid.
Most doctors probably WON'T prescribe you sub if you come to them saying you're just looking for something to take occasionally when you get cravings. That's not to say that 100% of doctors won't. It does seem that it can be used for other purposes, but good luck trying to find a doctor who will prescribe you sub for occasional use.