• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction cotton fever cure

I know someone in the hospital right now with endocarditis from doing old cottons and shit.

i have had cotton fever several times. it is by far the scariest and most painful experience ever. In fact it kinda ruined bangin dope for me because it is literally the most painful thing ive ever had to go through and ended up giving me a heartattach. Shooting dope does cause endocarditis and its no joke trust and believe

question tho...
EVERY time ive had cotton fever ive thrown up over and over and over again. And the headache that i experienced literally felt like the top of my head was breaking open. I dont know if every time was cotton fever. Because some of the symptoms just dont match up.

I know when the fever is coming on because about 10 to 15 mins after the shot i start feeling really really stiff...then my hands and feet tingle very bad and then i shake uncontrollably...and then comes the headache from hell and the non stop puking.

I think that maybe some of the times that i thought i had cotton fever, the dope was just bad because one time my face swelled up and i had a seizure...so that cant be cotton fever can it?

Avoid anything hot on opiates. I was using towels soaked in hot water over my arms to seed up the healing process for some bruises and kept reheating the towels with very hot water and I ended up burning my arm and getting some nasty blisters since I didn't feel the pain and it just felt warm. My arms looked way worse and I still have a mark there and this was 2 months ago. Don't jump in a scolding hot bath on dope you don't want to get burns all over your body.

1 cotton fever tip - DON'T RE USE OLD COTTONS/FILTERS - It's mostly a placebo anyway!

I had cotton fever BAD one time. My girlfriend called the ambulance, I was shaking so hard and so cold it was scary!

Tylenol is the cure. Specially if you take 300-500mg 5 minutes before the shot.

i tried this once and it didn't help, and then another time it did...i don't know what made it work and what didn't. i know you gotta sweat shit out'v your bloodstream when you're dopesick, but i really have no idea why it works or doesn't with the cotton fever

the shower method didnt work for me. watch out for dust the tiniest piece can cause shakes

Actually I have found the best way to get rid of the fever is just shoot some water. Or more drugs, thats more fun. But just clean water in a clean rig works. I have gotten the fever hundreds of times for many stupid reasons and having had it so many times can feel it starting in about 10-15 mins I start getting those chills and go straight for some clean gear and water and 10 mins later its gone. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I always go to the same vein that I shot to get the fever

I usually get from old cotton. Sometimes just cuz after new clean shot.
Prob had like 15 times and after the 3rd time got my cure down perfect.
Soon as I feel the stiffness and cold start I pop a few 30mg mscontin and maybe 2mg of clonazepam and get into a hot shower as fast as I can. I put the drain stopper in so it turns to a hot bath after 3 min or so. Just can't wait for tub to fill alone. And then lay in tub and let some of the water drain as I refill tub with HOT water bout half way and usualy end up sleep in 8-12 inches of water for a half HOUR or so. Then I get out and dry off and go lay in a nice cool bed to bring fever down and a motrin too. Usualy fever peaks around 104ISH. And by time I'm cooling down I feel fine. And if I can I nap.

oh man. cotton fever is the WORST. its sooo much worse than actual wd. i mean it only lasts an hr or two but goddamn, its actually what i imagined heroin wd would always be like. shaking, shitting, puking, pain everywhere, actual writhing and moaning. freezing cold to where you are convulsing and teeth chattering. my girlfriend saw it happen and got so scared. its pretty drastic stuff. its so intense that i always pass out at the end of it. the pain gets so bad that i just black out.

for me cotton fever was the worst shit ever.. First off when I got it i was dope sick to begin with ssecond I had just searched everywere for dope and finnally found this tinny as bit i had tucked away for a day like then i mean it was like .05 and Then i had a bunch of cottons so I put the cottons together ripped them all up (mistake #1) then put watrer tooo it mixed and shit sucked it up and then squirted that into a new spoon and put the little amount of dope i had in there. once that was done I used the brownest looking used cotton that was already ripped up (mistake #2) then I sucked that shit up shot it and GOt no rush and a tiny high worth it had the fever not come next.. Then after about 5 mins i started to feel sick again dope sick i thought..

I didnt understand how i could be dope sick again after that after 5 mins then I started to sweat balls, then I started to have the worst head ache and light sensitvity and then I felt like i was gonna throw up and did a few times. I was shaking and throwing up and swaeting and shitting it was horrible and the high wasnt able to show through at all so in the end a waste of the tiny amount of dope that had i shot on its own i prolly just woulda been fine till my next day when i could pick up ... but no.. anyway lasted for 3 hours till i fell asleep thank god and then woke up dope sick and coped and came home shot up and wass in heaven again with my girl haha ... what a shitty fucked up life ...

now this will only work if youre not livin on the skreets an shit, ya know? and your hot water heater must be in good working order.

ive had cotton fever like many many times during the days when i was so poor id go through trash bag after trash bag and find every last cotton, cap, and bag with bits of powder residue in it and shoot the crap out of it and more times than not get the shakes like a squirell who chewed through a power line. it was welfare.

however, i discovered if i hopped in the bathtub, with water JUST under the "literally BURN your skin" level, after about 5 or so minutes the shaking would subside. continue soaking, and as the water gets cold, let some out and refill with straight hot water. after ab 30-45 minutes, if you hop out and get in bed youll sleep and feel fine. HOT BATHS CURE COTTON FEVER. at least for me.

try it out. then holla.

well congrats wit ur cure tho its just a temp-cure

try low dose blood thinners, thats teh cure

I hate to bring back an old thread, but I've gone through about 4 of these threads so far and this is the one with the newest posts I've found, plus I'm not really in good health to waste that kind of time right now.

After about two hours of waking up today, I IV'd some Morphine. (It was just rinse)

Two hours after that I left the house to go grab some R's because I was starting to feel like I was getting WD's.

As soon as I got to the destination that I had to go to get them I started shaking uncontrollably. I walked inside and walked around trying to keep warm, then I started feeling like I might throw up, and started getting that feeling you do before you blackout, so I sat down and that helped with the blackout feeling but I was freezing, so I pulled a chair up to the heater and sat about 2 feet from it, my pants felt like they could of caught fire, but I was still shaking out of control and freezing.

When my stuff showed up I managed to stumble over to the table and snort them (hoping they would help)

About 15 more minutes of sitting there I managed to get enough energy and willpower to get back to the car and get home.

Around a 10 minute car ride it was, about 2 minutes from getting home the shaking stopped, I get inside and sit down and start to get a headache.

So now here I am with a sore body, and my head is hurting. I read someone saying if your head starts to hurt, get to the ER (Is that even a credible post?). Which is my reason for posting this, do you think since the shaking stopped I'll be fine?

Use a Micron filter, it's better and you dont have to worry about cotton fever.

Use a Micron filter, it's better and you dont have to worry about cotton fever.

I was reading some threads about those the other night, but they kind of confused me.

Are there different sizes? And is there a certain size I should be getting if there is? And are they re-usable?

(I'm pretty sure I have 29 gauge syringes)

Those are the only questions I have about those.

Last edited:
Well I guess my current situation isn't that important, seeing how I've only gotten one reply, and it didn't really answer my question, just told me how to possibly prevent it from happening in the future.

Since this is a harm reduction site, you all should have like an emergency section or something, so people know the threads people post in there should be responded to immediately. (Or do you already have one of these?)

I seem to be burning up and sweating now.

I think I need to google this cotton fever.......I understand how taking a hot bath would kill it off tho, as somebody posting a reply about raising the core temp. yep, soundsa bout right

oh man. cotton fever is the WORST. its sooo much worse than actual wd. i mean it only lasts an hr or two but goddamn, its actually what i imagined heroin wd would always be like. shaking, shitting, puking, pain everywhere, actual writhing and moaning. freezing cold to where you are convulsing and teeth chattering. my girlfriend saw it happen and got so scared. its pretty drastic stuff. its so intense that i always pass out at the end of it. the pain gets so bad that i just black out.

This is EXACTLY what it's like for me too. The uncontrollable shaking and chills only lasts a few hours, but the entire next day my spine hurts (especially my neck) and I have the worst migraine-esque headache ever. Someone asked (several months ago, sorry) whether they should go to the ER if you get the headache. I don't want to advise someone against seeking medical treatment, as it can't be a bad caution to take, but in my experience the headache is just part of it and I'm back to normal after a day or so. I've been through it 3 or 4 times now and even though I've felt like death and definitely considered calling an ambulance (if I could manage to pick up a phone), I've always been ok in the end.

The hot bath is a really good idea for the chills. Last time, I opted to just sit in the tub under the shower so I could adjust the temperature and be under it longer (plus it didn't matter if I puked, which could've been pretty gross in a bath). If I turn it on low enough with a super low water pressure, it stays burning hot for about an hour. The journey from bathroom to bedroom is a miserable one, but I had a heating pad on high to cuddle with under a mountain of blankets.

I had swine flu last year and discovered h was the magical cure, so you'd think the same would be true for cotton fever, but it really isn't. You'll just waste your dope and feel just as shitty. :\ What helped me was ibuprofen for the muscle pain/headache, aspirin for the fever, and klonopin for everything else. ;) I get so exhausted from it all that I can sometimes manage to sleep, but wake up every half hour or so nauseated and disoriented, trying to find a safe place to throw up in the dark. Not fun. Anyway, hope that's a tiny bit helpful to someone... Hope everyone's alright.

I had cotton faver the first time exactly a week ago. I had no idea what it was.
I shot up a small amount of adderal and suboxone mixed, and was already nodding from the subs. reason i did addy is cuz i wanted to stay up and play this game. So i mix solution, and drop a used cotten in, to make sure nothing was wasted. And i shot up. i go to my computer, start playing my game, and 15 minutes later my back started hurting and my body got extremely cold. My heart was racing, so i went and layed down in my bed. my friend was over and my girlfriend, and they were trying to help me out. I was shaking and my teeth were clacking, and i was under 3 blankets. i was like convulsing, and my back hurt. my GF helped me calm down and it went away after about an hour and a half. I ended up just falling asleep. I thought that it was heart issues from the adderal at first. now im pretty sure it was cotten feve