• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

being an addict effecting your grades?

Alcohol has probably caused more dropouts and scholarly fuck-ups than all other drugs combined.

This one dude came into philosophy class with liquor breath, just bout everyday. I don't think he ever attended class on a test day...

But he sure did well during the discussions - he could talk up a storm!

not being an addict, as i'm not, but i've been dealing with some underlying emotional issues for the past year. it has affected my grades tremendously, and i've finally decided to get things taken care of. :\

When I first went to college Iwas using cocaine and fent multiple times daily in the bathrooms at school, needless to say I droped out. Now I smoke nuggets daily and use oxycontin way too much but I still get A's and B's yet to get a C since returning to school over a year ago. So it has effected my studies in the past but not anymore.

My comprehension and interest in a subject is in direct contrast to the phase of my trip.

That sounds like jibberish...
I mean, at the beginning of a heroin high , like after the initial rush, I have an intense attention span. I read faster than usual and retain information with less discipline. After a couple hours while still high and feeling good, my mind starts to wander and it's more difficult to study. I wouldn't think getting high is a formula for good study habits but it does add an enjoyable element if practiced in moderation.

mac-

This one dude came into philosophy class with liquor breath, just bout everyday. I don't think he ever attended class on a test day...

But he sure did well during the discussions - he could talk up a storm!

Haha reminds me of my taking valium during highschool days. When my anxiety completely disapeared, I could create discussions that would absolutely throw teachers off of their gameplans. All kinds of kids would thank me on those days, it was great.
But alcohol is a very serious problem for college kids these days. Part of the reason is because alcohol use is so accepted and widespread, but also because of the nature of the drug itself (it's hard to go to class or even wake up on time with a massive hangover).

I don't know where exactly this site got its statistics, but I've heard similar things from psychology professors -

"College drinking. In recent years increasing attention has been paid to the impact of college drinking on academic success. As use of alcohol and other drugs has declined somewhat in other age groups, alcohol consumption, especially heavy drinking, has remained at a high level among the college population.

College and university administrators believe that alcohol is a factor in 41 percent of all academic problems and 28 percent of all academic dropouts. An estimated 7 percent of the freshman class each year drops out for alcohol-related reasons.

Each year college students spend $5.5 billion on alcohol, more than they spend on all other beverages or on books combined. And the consequences are disastrous: 95 percent of violent crime on campus is alcohol-related; 90 percent of all reported campus rapes involve alcohol use by either the assailant or the victim or both; 60 percent of college women acquiring sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS, were under the influence of alcohol. The number one killer of 15- to 24-year-olds is alcohol-related auto accidents."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0826/is_/ai_16029133

Oxycodone got me through Spring semester. Fall semester, all I had was pot and I flunked out. Coincidence?! Well... probably. There were other factors involved. But still, I wouldn't have made it through Spring without some sort of extra-legally obtained stimulant, and oxy it was and I will always love it (yet do my best not to ever again take it) for that.

Also, and I DO NOT recommend this, last semester I got some leeway with some classes I was having trouble with by feining illness by inducing Oxy withdrawals. I'd simply not take them, show up for class white as a sheet and vomiting, claim it was some particularly nasty version of that flu that EVERY residential college has, and my profs would tell me to get my ass back home and in bed.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Last edited:
whaaaaaaat?!?!?

you mean being a drug addict is not compatible with doing well in life?

what's the world coming to?!

come on, people -- grow up and get a handle on shit.
If you honestly don't think being a drug addict negatively impacts your life, then you're in a state of denial. Can you get by university being a drug addict? Maybe. Could you excel in university if you weren't a drug addict? More likely.

If you honestly don't think being a drug addict negatively impacts your life, then you're in a state of denial. Can you get by university being a drug addict? Maybe. Could you excel in university if you weren't a drug addict? More likely.

twoci, i think you really missed physix's sarcasm in that one. ;)

i did well in my last yr at school, cos i was buzzed on meth 24/7 i concentrated very well
and when i had nothing to do i would study furiously!

Honesty; being on opiates made school easier. I could bear listening to lectures and the other students around me (mostly bible-huggerish people that frown on anything other than alcohol). The only problem with being on opiates is nodding off during class and falling asleep while studying; but a nice cup of hot tea or coffee helped that!

meth helps me do better in school (concentrate more, get more excited about shit) but it also makes me care less and when i crash i tend to miss quite a bit of class, so i guess it's a 50/50.
however, in my work life meth makes me amazing at what i do. plus, work = money = meth so it can't really make me apathetic about going to work the way i do with school. if i only i could get drugs in exchange for going to class..

i must be an anomaly, but i feel like weed really helps me with schoolwork. like an earlier poster said, if you have the confidence to walk into class stoned, you can do well in school. Im a sophomore and my best semester was the one i smoked before all my classes and labs...

one thing i notice about combining weed with schoolwork: when i get home from a long day on campus, i dont feel like doing shit. but once i smoke the entire association of schoolwork with stress collapses. I feel like its just another activity to do to keep myself busy and improve my knowledge.

however, what i dont get is the association people make between college and cocaine. if i used coke to study, it wouldnt be long before i couldnt do anything without coke. and when you can't do anything without coke, money becomes a big problem and i don't feel most students have the funds to maintain such an addiction...

i wrote this essay for a history class i''m taking from the hours of like 10-4 am last night... i was coming down (BADLY) from tweak and crashed around six... made it to class ten minutes late barely. anyway, this essay was the biggest piece of psychotic shit i've ever read. i don 't even know what i was going on about for most of it and it's like three pages over the limit.
we had an individual conference and i think he now thinks i'm completely insane. i don't think he'll fail me but i def need to NOT write essays when i'm coming down from drugs. :(

I wouldn't say I'm a drug addict. I do use drugs though..on a more weekly basis. I use drugs around my current life and obligations, so I usually don't have any problems. A few times I have went to school hung-over or cracked out but that's about it. At most I've missed like a week of school due to being high.

I dropped out my second semester, because I was irresponsible and was constantly getting fucked up on h, meth and cocaine. I didn't get great grades my first semester. Now, two years later, I'm not addicted to any drugs and have pretty damn good grades.

I was doing really well at a very good university before I started using drugs. I was a Poli Sci/Jounralism double major with a 4.0GPA and was taking such a full course load (usually 6 classes a semester plus at least 2 summer semester) that I was going to graduate in 3 years.

I started using the August before I was going to be doing my final year and I just couldn't handle it. I wanted to stay up rolling, smoking and popping pills (provided thanks to a heafty student loan refund) and I dropped out after only a month. I had promised myself I would go back next semester, but by that time I was doing heroin and that was not conducive.

It has been a year and a half since I dropped out and I'd really, really like to go back next semester, but I am still not clean (though not as bad as I was) so I don't know how well that would work.