• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

being an addict effecting your grades?

I was never taking anything that had a very high addiction potential while doing my undergrad, but during my 2nd year I was out pretty much every weekend getting munted on mdma. It wasn't so much the pills alone that were affecting my performance, it was the lack of sleep, poly-drug combos and general come-down drama that made me lose focus.

Luckily for me I managed to get my shit together and didn't fail out of anything, but in the end because of that year of shit grades I missed out on 1st class honours :\

I always made time for non-munted study coming up to final exams, and drank a shite load of red bull to get through, so in the end it didn't hurt too much. I am just really glad that I never got into pot or amphetamines or benzos or opiates... otherwise, well, fuck knows where I'd be know...

Jamshyd said:
^ Not entirely correct, I'm sorry.

Certain drugs, especially benzos, prevent recall, so being in a perpetual state of amnesia is not particularly good for schoolwork.

I've been wanting to ask you this for a while now, so its perfect that this thread came up. I take valium at therapeutic doses. I have taken it daily for 3 months, before that I was on other things (xanax and ativan) as needed. Now I take 10mg valium in the morning and 5-10mg in the afternoon. I certainly feel high from his (I need to take 150mg+ to do that), it just loosens up my neck and back, which is the main reason I take it, more than for anxiety.

Can you give me any indication on how this may be affecting me? Keep in mind I don't get high from this, though sometimes I do take good sized doses of xanax (say 6-8mg) to have fun. I haven't been doing so good in class lately, but I could just as easily blame all the time I spend on the computer (esp. because OD is keeping me rather busy), but I have a feeling that the benzos, even though I don't feel much from them, are making me a little slower than usual.

Thanks buddy.

edit: I would like to clarify that I am asking how this might affect me memory/recall wise, in terms of exams and other school related business...

Last edited:
Pillthrill said:
I was just saying it happens. Thats all. Just like someone may not remember that hot girl from the bar's number until he is totally trashed again...then makes an idiot out of himself

What can you back that up with??? Ok pillthrill you're 0 for 2 Lol

I made it through undergrad with a moderate caffeine addiction. ;)

One thing I plan to do in college, and well starting right now is to try and limit the drugs I put in my body. I know what things I have an affinity to and cut them out, like opiates. I'm not saying I'm not going to do drugs, but just be careful with what I do. Yeah I know harder said then done, but I have good walls already set up. I have friends currently at the school I'm going to who limit the use of drugs in school. Keeping them for weekends and always doing other activities that keeps them active and healthy.

Hopefully that'll work out for me so I wont have to go through hell to keep my life on track and graduate.

BeenArrested4Pot said:
What can you back that up with??? Ok pillthrill you're 0 for 2 Lol

State dependent memory recall? Read your psychology book...

I drink way too much but I ended up on the Dean's List every quarter, was awarded the one award the History Department hands out - Outstanding Senior Award, and making magna cum laude.

Ew, that sounded a lot like bragging. My point is that it's all really personal. I'm functional but that's not necessarily a good thing. hmm..

AmorRoark said:
I drink way too much but I ended up on the Dean's List every quarter, was awarded the one award the History Department hands out - Outstanding Senior Award, and making magna cum laude.

Ew, that sounded a lot like bragging. My point is that it's all really personal. I'm functional but that's not necessarily a good thing. hmm..

Makes me wonder what you could achieve if you didn't drink...but drinking is a part of any college life, even here where its a "dry campus"

Pillthrill said:
State dependent memory recall? Read your psychology book...

LOL of course not state dependent recall... Did your psychology have a chapter that discussed typical brain function when one is drunk / shitfaced?? Lol no. those textbooks and the material within applies to a sober brain not a drunk

^ (and PillThrill) keep the bickering to a minimum, please, and try to keep this thread on course.

>>I made it through undergrad with a moderate caffeine addiction.

with or because of...?
>>

Heh...I found that with consistent daily use, caffeine ceases benefiting me.

ebola

My opiate habit made me drop out of school not once but twice. I quit daily use a few years back and am now about to graduate!!!!

I still drink alot, but somehow end up on the Dean's list. I even got a 10,000 dollar scholarship this year for my grades. Being functional is not always a good thing. I wonder how well I would have done without the booze.

So yes it has. I'm not going to lie.

eras3r said:
^ (and PillThrill) keep the bickering to a minimum, please, and try to keep this thread on course.

Eh I'm wasn't planning on bothering with it anymore. If he wants to challange the psych major's knowledge whatever... google it for god sakes already

i'm not really an addict anymore. but the loads of psychedelic drugs aren't probably helping me. I partied way too hard last semester.

my best semester was under the influence of suboxone and loads of caffine.

Daily smoking weed is almost worse for me than tripping out 2x a month. I think people underplay the effects of daily weed smoking. I cannot learn while smoking pot daily.

I was smoking weed everyday last year and got disctions and high distinctions (75 percent plus, usually averaging around 80-87) for every subject. This year I've quit smoking and my grades have dropped, funnily enough. Oh well, I'll keep at it :) Oh yeah, I'm addicted to caffeine too. Only a few cups a day though :D

ebola? said:
>>I made it through undergrad with a moderate caffeine addiction.

with or because of...?
>>

Heh...I found that with consistent daily use, caffeine ceases benefiting me.

ebola

Have you considered drinking larger amounts?

I'm currently working through the first year of a phd using just this strategy. :p

first weed fucked my college shit up

Then amphetamines

Then benzos

Now amphetamines again.... its the dexedrine... shouldnt I be doing MORE school on it? ;)

I just want to chill all the time even on speed...

School is offically over. Now I just have to decide if I want to try to make my life beter this summer or plumment into endless use...

>>
Have you considered drinking larger amounts?

I'm currently working through the first year of a phd using just this strategy. >>

hah...given that the tolerance curve appears to be linear, I bet this would be sustainable in the medium-term.

ebola