• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Foreign Drug Scenes

In South Africa we have a very open drug scene. At certain clubs you can get outside the door in full view of bouncers. At one club you could buy rolls from behind the bar. These clubs are rumoured to be run by gangsters who pay the police to stay away. I suspect they launder quite a bit of money through the club.

Methcathinone and smoked Methaqualone (a quaalude) are big here. Acid and good X are available from certain dealers, ie you have to know someone but coke, methcathinone, heroin, crack and methaqualone are common in certain area's with "open air" deals happening. We get powdered white heroin, called thai white by the dealers but I don't really indulge so I can't really say how pure. I've tried snorting it once and all I got was intense itches, nothing more.

Methamphetamine is only easily attainable on the west coast, where I live (Johannesburg, the biggest city) it's difficult to get.

Weed is very easy to get and it's *really* cheap for shwag, even decent weed is very cheap although home grown / hydro / chronic is very difficult to obtain. Our local colloquialisms are often very different to most english speaking countries, cannibus is called dagga or zol, methamphetamine is called tik and methaqualone is called mandrax.

germany is like pkt described it for copenhagen.
open air markets are centered around the main train stations.
heroin, coke and benzos are easy to get and are mostly sold by other
junkies.

I know that there are really big open air markets in Spain, Portugal and Switzerland. I saw a documentary regarding drugs in Spain and people were literally in line on the street to get their fixes (H & Cocaine mainly), there were hundreds on these lines. Once they hear the cops are coming they just disburse and as soon as they leave the street, back to business. I don't remember the name of that doc., but you can find it easily on YouTube.

Link?

hexxx that was amazing to hear about South Africa.

I've never been to Amsterdam.

From what I hear in Spain there is open air markets but it's not quite like America. From what I hear, like, gypsies (? dont even know what a gypsy is really) sell in like 'gypsy towns' or 'red light districts' and you have to go in like a tent or something and there will be a person with like a huge amount of drugs on a table or something and you buy from them. In like closed communities though.

Theodore, from what people have told me, Japan is solidly an amphetamine country. It's far and away the most popular recreational and productivity-enhancing drug there. I used to hear about inhalants (yuck!) being popular there, but mostly among kids, who couldn't get anything else. For some reason, marijuana seems to carry a real stigma in Japan. It's not popular, and laws against it are heavily enforced. Drug use of any kind carries a heavy stigma there, so I'd imagine you might have a bit of a time getting anyone to admit to you they use, just for reasons of saving face. There were definitely a lot of drug tourists from northeast Asia in the party islands of Thailand when I was there! People from Japan, Taiwan, Korea, etc. will dare to do a lot of things when they're far from home and anyone they know.

Yea I hear there is a lot of speed there. I once got smoked up free on a hash-joint in Hiroshima in the Atomic Bomb Peace Park (heh, I smoked weed in the middle of the Nuclear bomb memorial park). They said a gram of low quality hash was about $50, so it's not popular there and yes there is a lot of stigma to it.

But what about opiates, like heroin? I'd think heroin or opium would be available there given it being close to the Golden Triangle, but I've never heard of opiates there.

How is speed sold there? Like, open air markets in Japan, or do you have to knwo someone? Do you have to go through, like, Yakuza members to get speed?

EuphoricNod, I'm not trying to learn how to score drugs here, I'm just asking how the drug markets in certain countries are. I know it kinda sounds like I'm asking how to get drugs, but it's not. I know how to get drugs in America - you either know someone, and in some cases you can buy it in open air drug markets run by gangs. But I was wondering how people get drugs in other countries, how available they are, et cetera. I'm curious, because I can't imagine anywhere else in the world having such a blatant market like America does.

Not sourcing or anything, but I know it sounds like it. Just, I want to know the Drug Culture of other countries, and how do their drug markets work.

I don't mean to sound racist here, and I know lacey k is gonna say I'm racist here, but... like, in America the open air drug markets are run usually by ethnic groups like blacks or hispanics (on the street, that is). A lot of countries, like Japan, don't have significant ethnic populations, so it's just weird to me. Not to mention that many of these countries have such a different culture, where individuality is not a virtue and there is a much larger stigma. I'm not being racist here, but if you know anything about, say, Japanese culture, you'd understand how impossible it would be to have a drug market like America has over there.

Like in America, there definately is 'gang culture', which has a lot to do with your ethnicity. This is not being racist, it's just a lot of the illegality forces these groups to have very closed barriers to entry. In Japan, there is not glorification of gangs like there is in America, they value order and 'machinism' over everything. If you think I'm being racist, then it's because you don't understand Japan at all. Within America there are lots of different cultures, like black culture, et cetera, that have different rules than society at large may value. In Japan, there is only Japanese culture. In America, while I wouldn't say we are a racist nation, we are a multitude of large ethnically based cultures that are accepted.

I can understand open air drug markets in like Spain. But I know given how the culture is in Japan, there is no way they'd have open air drug markets. I'm not being racist here. I know you'll, think I'm racist, but I'd challenge that by saying that maybe it's because you don't understand foreign cultures.

I'd almost say that, compared to America, Japan doesn't use drugs. It's just the cultures are so different, so that's gonna impact how their drug culture is as well.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Yea I hear there is a lot of speed there. I once got smoked up free on a hash-joint in Hiroshima in the Atomic Bomb Peace Park (heh, I smoked weed in the middle of the Nuclear bomb memorial park).
TheodoreRoosevelt said:
I'd almost say that, compared to America, Japan doesn't use drugs.

Quoted for ballbreakage.
(j/k)

Statistically, the nations that have the highest rates of recreational drug use have mostly been Western, at least since the industrial revolution. But the key is, that's REPORTED rates. There's such a heap of shame associated with being a user of anything illegal in many non-Western cultures, which tend to be more traditional in their values (family / loyalty), that I'm sure many actual users wouldn't deign to even make it known in writing what they did when guaranteed anonymity.

Did you have ANY IDEA your great grandma was a fiend before your mom told you just recently? No, and I bet your mom is one of few people that did know. You could very well have others in your family who are addicts of something or other, and successfully hide it from even their closest family members. I think drug use is alive and well in Japan and all non-Western countries as well. But people there are better about keeping their lips zipped and their eyes normal looking, because the ones who aren't good about this get weeded out pretty quick.

I can't tell you anything about opiates in Japan because I've never touched them or looked for them.

Since you mentioned gangs, I should mention that from all reports I've heard, the drug market in Japan is entirely gang controlled. Nobody but the yakuza could possibly slip any amount of drugs through Japanese customs. You'll see a lot of dudes from 3rd world countries hawking the drugs at street level in parks or the raunchy parts of town. But they're the lowliest laborers and all get their supplies from Japanese gangsters. The gangs can set their wholesale prices of anything nice and high. Because they're all on an island, and have no competition.

I think contraband trade and organized crime have a lot to do with each other no matter where you are.

There's a huge meth scene in southeast Asia, mainly in Thailand and Cambodia. Little pills known as "Yaba" (or Yama in Cambodia) are pretty common over there, and ice is becoming increasingly popular. And with the Golden Triangle smack dab in the middle, extremely pure Burmese heroin is readily available as well.

My mother's boyfriend's sister is a writer for some magazine in philly. She took a trip to China, some province (hunan i think for some reason, not sure) where they have a huge HIV problem. She managed to get a visa because she adopted a girl from that area (china doesn't like foreign journalists looking at their dirty laundry) and from what she told me, the whole area she was in was like a large open-air shooting gallery/drug market. She wasn't there to do drugs (nor uses as far as I know) but said there were quite a few other Westerners that were there as drug tourists.

From how she described the place, i would rather vacation in Cambodia or Thailand then go to that hell hole (the "ghetto" of china?)

I don't have personal experience, but I once knew an Indian crackhead who said that both crack and smack are pretty big in both India and Pakistan. Ridiculously cheap and high-quality too. Very underground, considered deeply shameful and kept well off the streets - a little like good old-fashioned Victorian opium dens, aparrently. To be clear, this is the local scene, not the party/tourist scene which is much more Ecstasy/speed orientated.

Many of the junkys I knew in the past were of Sub-Continental decent and were often sent "back home" to try to stop their habits. They frequently returned with a massively increased habit and a personally imported supply of top-notch gear :).

I can understand the cheap smack, but the crack surprised me. It seems like a long way off the beaten track for the importers, and with seemingly little profit to be made when compared with rich Western cultures. Then again, I imagine that it's a good place to pass clandestine goods through what with the endemic culture of bribery and all that. More of a crossing point then an end destination perhaps?

I'm rather enjoying this thread. It is indeed fascinating to see how things work in other parts of the world :).

Hexxx's comments about SA reminded me of a rather gorgeous South African girl I once had a brief dalliance with. She said that things were very different here - in the UK - but she missed the big, newspaper-bound, bundles of dirt-cheap Durban Poison.

entheogenius said:
I'm rather enjoying this thread. It is indeed fascinating to see how things work in other parts of the world :).

Yeah this is a great idea for a thread.

I can testify to being offered mad drugs in Amsterdam on the street. I was about 15 or 16 so I was surprised that all these shady fucking fellows were hollerin at me and my girl. I remember in particular this one guy had this huge frizzy beard and yellow eyes and a hook nose and he put a finger under his hook nose and made this obscene sniffing sound, and went "Eh eh eh! Cocaaaainnah!?". I didn't do coke at the time, but seriously, that guy looked like he meant to rob us with a gun or knife for sure. He looked crazier than half the Uptown crackheads in Chicago.

I been to italy when I was younger stll as a judge at the international childrens' film festival. Humorously the French never show, because they have their OWN festival. Gotta love the french... anyway, I was too young to be really into drugs at the time, but I drank some bacardi with the boy my age in my host family, Osvaldo. However, his friend's family had pot growing on their fucking balcony, for all to see, and he had a ton of pictures on his compter of his uncles and whatnot smoking.

My dad just went to Italy for his honeymoon, since his girl's Calabrian but had never been since she was mad young. He reported seeing massive groves of pot from the windows of their trains. Whether it was hemp or real weed wasn't clear. Also, he visited the town where we stayed when I was younger for the film fest thing, since he had also been there as the group chaperone thing. The hotel he stayed at was the one he'd been to previously, and about half the staff, most of which was family, smoked reefer. He was surprised not to have seen hash.

Humerously enough, the lady in charge scolded the smokers for doing it in front of guests, and they said "ph it's okay, they're from Chicago". Hah! Not even "they're americans" but specifically the Chi. They said we have a reputation there for being a druggy city... which we are.

Amsterdam has a kickin open air market. Not just in one place, but in the alleys of the redlight district and near the trainstation. And, for some wierd reason, i didn't feel like I was going to get robbed. Even though I probaly would have

As a matter of fact, i was kickin it with this african livin in germany. He was a drug tourist too, and says ' you like weed, but do you like coke?' I was like yea, sure man. He says alrigght, 'eightteen euro'. So I was like ' yea man' i had at least 40 of me. We go score in some laundry matt. The maybe turkish guy we were scoring from was scared of me and I waited outside. When he got back, he gave me my share and was like ' go test it' I went into the bathroom in some coffee shop and tested a TINY amount.

This was hands down, the absolute, BEST BLOW I HAD EVER EVER EVER EVER DONE. I come back and can barely sit there and talk to him without jumping outta my skin. He is like 'where is the eighty?' I break him off 18 bucks and he is like 'what th ehell is this'?

Turns out, he was saying eighty instead of eighteen. I really though he was saying eighteen. So, I give him all I got and tell him ill meet him later to pay back to rest.

By then, the whole 'lets go score' thing was outta my systema nd I just avoided him.

I didn't even bother with those guys in Amsterdam. It was fucking tempting though. Me and my friend came out this club at like 6am totally fucked and we were walking along and out of nowhere this guy whispers "coke,speed,pills?".

We just kept walking then after a few seconds we looked at each other and we were like "Why not eh?" so we went back and he had gone :(

At the time we were sad we'd missed an opportunity but looking back it was a good thing. They're dodgy as fuck. And it's not like there's a shortage of them.

I did the same thing with one guy on the street. He was saying coke coke coke, and i turned around and was like 'alright, how much' he was like 40.

I didn't really wana score on the street i just wanted to know th eprice.

So I walk away, and he starts following me, his kid comes up and dishes it to him, and he is like 'alright, 50 with 3 x tabs'. I was like naw man, and he was like, alright, try it , i was like nah man, im gone.

I had just turned 18 and was in amsterdam by myself and didn't even tell my parents i went. I had tons of money cause i was selling pounds of weeds, and looked out of place, i am sure.

But I still felt better than walking through the ghetto to cop. 100x better.

pkt said:
Copenhagen, Denmark.

I'm not familiar with obtaining hard drugs in this city, but next to Amsterdam this is by far the easiest city to score weed and hash that I have ever been to. Open air hash stands with high quality product could be found 24/7. Skunk was also sold openly every day in a number of different spots within the city. And you could always count on it being very heady.

If you've ever visited 'we be high' you can get fairly accurate description the availability of weed as well as how tolerated it is by the cops and other individuals. It's crazy to read about how low of a tolerance level some of the middle eastern and asian countries have towards marijuana.

pr0ficient said:
I'm not familiar with obtaining hard drugs in this city, but next to Amsterdam this is by far the easiest city to score weed and hash that I have ever been to. Open air hash stands with high quality product could be found 24/7. Skunk was also sold openly every day in a number of different spots within the city. And you could always count on it being very heady.

If you've ever visited 'we be high' you can get fairly accurate description the availability of weed as well as how tolerated it is by the cops and other individuals. It's crazy to read about how low of a tolerance level some of the middle eastern and asian countries have towards marijuana.

When did you go? yeah its still pretty smoke friendly but there is now a mandatory 1000kr($200) fine for 1g of hash but police don't really bother much and you can find small cafes where you can buy weed in every second street.

no information on other countries, but i would like to say this is a good thread and i like reading about other countries cultures.

Last summer I was in Spain with a few friends and we found it to be ridiculously easy to get hash. Within ten minutes of getting to our hotel in Madrid we had three grams of some good quality hash that we picked up from some rasta guy. After Madrid we headed to San Sebastian where we spent most of our trip and again it was very, very easy to find hash. Coke was also fairly popular and I had a few people asking me about that. Speed was also prevalent from what I heard, but it seemed a bit harder to get for me personally. Oftentimes you would find people just offering you drugs on the streets as you walked around at night, but I found a few people who would try to rip you off. One guy tried to sell me a piece of cotton wrapped up tightly in plastic wrap as a gram of coke, haha.

pkt said:
When did you go? yeah its still pretty smoke friendly but there is now a mandatory 1000kr($200) fine for 1g of hash but police don't really bother much and you can find small cafes where you can buy weed in every second street.

This was a little over a year ago. People kept telling me that police had stepped up their presence, which it seemed as if they had, but I never experienced any type of trouble. In general, police were very few and far between and their slight increase in presence (in one particular area of town) sure didn't stop people from slanging

When I was in Hanoi a few years ago a day didn't go by without someone asking me if I wanted heroin, opium, cocaine, or marijuana. I bought pot a few times and it was pretty shitty but if you smoked a lot you would get pretty stoned. I tried the heroin once and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

@ ROOSEVELT,

i am here in Tokyo,
I`ve never seen a kind of a open Szene here.
There is a kind of speech here: " if you want Adventure
then go to a Foreigen Country.

The penality is very rough, there is no Difference between
Hard- and Soft Drugs, the minimumsentence is 5 Years.
( u can read something about Japanese-Prisons at amnesty International)
I remember last Year 7 Language Teacher get arrested with
8,2g. Weed and 1,5g Cocaine- they get 7 Years!

Until the `6o there was a big problem with Opiates because of the soldier.
In the Protectorate of Mandschuria the biggest Income was by Opium!
(Can be seen on Photos)
Also Weed was avabile until the `70.

Then there was a big Break- because of the Yakuza.
The Police force the Yakuza to stop Drug Trading "inside of Japan".
If they do so the Police will stop investigation about any kind of Black Business!
This was a good deal!!!

In the `80 Meth was very popular, mostly from Korea!
Of course also XTC and other Stuff, but Japanese People a very different.
Many of them follow all the Rules and dont want to punisched by Police.

Biggest Prob. now is Ritalin by Doc..
In the streets the sale sometimes Dragonfly and other RC-Stuff!

And sorry about my English!

Here old News:
Seven foreign teachers working at the NOVA English language conversation school have been arrested on suspicion of violating a law on illegal drugs and the Cannabis Control Law, police said Wednesday.

Police accuse the seven of possessing five bags containing a total of about 1.5 grams of powdered cocaine, and eight bags containing a total of about 8.2 grams of cannabis, on a street in Tokyo’s Roppongi district on Nov. 19 last year.

Investigators said a 32-year-old American teacher who was arrested on the spot on the same day told police another NOVA teacher had made a request for the drugs. The 32-year-old said the drugs were purchased from a street dealer.

Six other suspects later surfaced, including a 35-year-old teacher from Canada who was working at the same classroom in Saitama Prefecture, police said.

Last edited:
Wow...

Well I'm not worried I hate all drugs besides heroin and don't expect to find opiates in Japan, and it's not like I'm addicted and don't know how to have fun without drugs. I hate alcohol, but it'll be interesting to get drunk there when last time I was too young (although I still couldve because no one asks and they have beer vending machines on every street corner), although I'll probably regret that come future. I'm a pretty explorative and outdoorsy kind of person so looking forward to hiking the mountains in Japan and checking out the hot springs and video games :D

Good stuff though. I did get offered a free hash joint by some youth locals when I was there last time though.

Did you smoke with the "youth locals"? Was it like the best joint evar? :D

I got offered opium when I was in Turkey last time. Did I do it? You best your ass I did! Opium rocks.