View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD + Ritalin interaction

inotocracy

Bluelighter
There is a good possibility that I may be prescribed Ritalin. One of my favorite things to do, however, is dose every couple of months. Would there be any interaction between the two? Diminished/hightened effects? Possibly dangerous? Thanks guys.

Mixing strong stimulants like Ritalin with a strong, stimulating psychedelic like LSD always runs the risk of making your trip more manic, anxious, confusing, etc. with a worse comedown so I say why take the risk when you could just skip your Ritalin dose when you trip.

So I could just not take the Ritalin for a day or two before hand, and everything would be kosher?

I don't think it'd be a problem at all. I'm prescribed adderall and i've never had a problem with it. I think you'd be better off not skipping your ritalin, if you're really worried about it, take 1/2 - 3/4 of your ritalin dose the day of your trip.

i wouldnt sweat it though. just make sure you're accustomed to the ritalins effects before you trip i.e. don't trip the first few days you take the medication.

How would he be better off not skipping his Ritalin just because you handle Adderall with LSD well? I just don't see why the guy should take the risk when some people are prone to anxiety, mania, panic attacks, racing hearts, etc. from LSD or stimulants alone. We've no way of knowing how this guy tolerates tripping or stimulants to predict his reponse. I'd say if he insists on taking the Ritalin with his LSD to use no more than 5-20 mg of Methyphenidate (and orally not sniffed) and to start at a low dose of LSD until he sees how he tolerates the combo.

^ I handle tripping pretty well I think. I've never had a "true" freakout moment and seem to take to the experience fine (as I said its one of my favorite things to do every now and then). I'm just worried about the possibility of physical harm that may come from the combination of the two. I wouldn't mind just not taking the Ritalin a day before, or day of, to avoid any complication. My understanding is this will suffice?

I'd skip your Ritalin, who's ego-promoting factor will contradict the ego-dissolving effects of the psychedelics, and the stimulant effects could make your experience edgy, and paranoid -- although some like this sort of thing. However, skipping your Ritalin could spin you out into a little bit of depression... figure out where you stand first.

Would it be physically dangerous to skip the medication for the day before and day of to trip? Anyone here (besides icculus, thanks by the way) taking ritalin?

Not physically dangerous at all, but possibly could trigger a little bit of tiredness and depression mentally.

Good enough for me! I don't do it often (maybe once every few months) so I doubt it'll be a problem. Thanks guys :)

No, not physically dangerous as far as I know. You more likely would, if anything, have psychological withdrawals although some people don't notice much mental withdrawals from amphetamine-like substances. Meanwhile, some people get miserable mental withdrawals so I guess it's a matter of your brain chemistry, the amount of Ritalin you use daily and how long you've been on it.

Health supplements like L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine can help alleviate amphetamine withdrawals, as these supplements replenish Dopamine and Adrenaline levels. I've also heard of Deprenyl, Wellbutrin, Provigil, and Bromocriptine helping amphetamine withdrawals.

Your safest bet is to either not take your Ritalin the day you trip or to only use a low dose of Ritalin and low dose of LSD. An alternative approach would be you could take your normal Ritalin dose early in the day and take the LSD once the Ritalin is starting to wear off. I'd expect that the psychological withdrawals from Ritalin generally would be masked by the ultra euphoria of LSD.

It's really good to see folks being so concerned about mixing strong uppers with LSD. So many people these days are willing to recklessly mix Meth, Coke, Adderall, Crack, etc. with LSD, 2Cxx's, DOxx's, etc. It's a disturbing trend and won't end well for some of these people.

I, myself, suffered a seizure a few years ago from taking 3 really strong, dirty blotters (DOxx-esque) while on a shitload of Wellbutrin, DL-Phenylalanine and DMAE. I also had hardly eaten or drank anything in days and had forgotten my daily dose of anti-convulsants (I was taking Lamictal and Trileptal daily to help my moods). Ever since then I've been extremely cautious of mixing stimulants with psychedelics and weary of tripping when my body isn't physically in top health.

When I trip I feel a lot better about my blood pressure and pulse if I've eaten a lot of vitamins, fish oil, CoQ10, Taurine the day of my trip.

inotocracy said:
Would it be physically dangerous to skip the medication for the day before and day of to trip? Anyone here (besides icculus, thanks by the way) taking ritalin?

I have a Ritalin prescription, but I don't take it everyday. In fact, my doctor encourages me to take it only when I feel that I need to. If I'm about to do a lot of reading, for instance, then I'll take it. But I'm not perpetually drugged the way some patients are. If you're taking it everyday, then there might be some mild withdrawal symptoms; just experiment a bit and you'll learn how you react to it.

When I was 14, I dropped a tab while on about 200mgs of Ritalin. It was NOT fun. Anxiety like you wouldn't believe. I went outside to smoke, and when I came back in, I was trying to be quiet with the sliding glass door as to not wake my mother up. Closing the door took me about 30 mins. The next morning, on no sleep, I had to take a train to Baltimore to spend the weekend with my brother. God, I was such an idiot back then.

However, if you're on a normal therapeutic dose, I'd bet it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If you can, try to not mix them.

dead thread, i know. but congrats on 1st page of google search: ritalin and lsd. hopefully this will show up as a notification to those who replied.
anyways, I was checking the surprisingly sparse erowid page on methylphenidate when i came across this gem: http://www.erowid.org/references/refs_view.php?ID=1304

^1964: “Psychedelics and People as Adjuncts to Psychotherapy”. It briefly discusses use of IV ritalin (20-30mg) with LSD for therapeutic use. It reports LSD onset decreases to 1/4 of normal uptime, ego defenses were "shattered" (contrary to SomeKindaLove's speculation), and that ritalin "raised the probability of a mystic experience." Eisner also says intramuscular ritalin is an "excellent substitute for the low-dose LSD treatments" (This shouldn't be too surprising). It also "was found helpful in facilitating verbal capacity" during high-dose LSD sessions. Also, "ritalin does not intensify intellectualization or remove individuals from feeling areas as the amphetamines sometimes do."
*it also notes beneficial use of regular ritalin use (for at least a week or 2) before an LSD dose [without discontinuing the ritalin] in treating drug addicted patients, "break[ing] the reverberating circuit of drug addiction enough to enable the patient to start a controlled way of life. This changes the inefficient psychopathic habit patterns which were conditioned in during the period of addiction." (it says nothing of tolerance to addicted drug being affected - THIS would be EXTREMELY interesting. I'm sure people have tried this, but I have yet to read about it)
*tldr: ritalin is an LSD potentiator

Noteworthy pages:
-effects of ritalin and LSD: 1, 5
-advantages of LSD therapy over traditional psychotherapy (bullets): v7-8
overall a good quick read (9 pages total), especially if you're interested in this stuff. cheers
unfortunately, the second work referenced, "the use of ritalin as a therapy potentiator" is unpublished (why? Betty, why?) and I will try to find a copy if anyone actually reads this.

Last edited:
i have tripped on LSD and high dose ritalin and it was the most mellow euphoric analytical trip i have had. i felt like the dogs bollocks, just make sure you dont come down while still tripping

I'd expect that the psychological withdrawals from Ritalin generally would be masked by the ultra euphoria of LSD.

somehow i think it could put the trip on a downer-

if you are sensible with the ritalin and keep a constant low dose level throughout it will be just as good as tripping without , just a different flavour

a lot of people think ritalin is an anxious horrible drug but for me it was always very mellow and euphoric so remember: if ritalin is very pleasant for you on its own it might also be on LSD

There is a good possibility that I may be prescribed Ritalin. One of my favorite things to do, however, is dose every couple of months. Would there be any interaction between the two? Diminished/hightened effects? Possibly dangerous? Thanks guys.

DO IT, PSYCHEDELICS AND STIMULANTS ARE amazing IN MY OPINION, so fun to be just way out of it, so many people i know don't like the anxiety part of psychedelics, whyd o it then if you dont like it lol, its like a main part of the trip, I love it.

^besides that(first post), there may be a possibility that the serotonin increase can cause a serotoxic reaction, but only if you take large amounts of Ritalin or LSD with your Ritalin.

So I could just not take the Ritalin for a day or two before hand, and everything would be kosher?

This is what I would strongly recommend. Lately I've been taking Desoxyn for ADHD, and I tried combining it with LSD once. It didn't really affect the trip mentally, but the excessive body stimulation became a huge pain in the ass, and kind of ruined the trip.

EDIT: Oops, wtf? Didn't realize this thread was five years old.

I was prescribed ritalin for several years. I would always skip them when taking psychedelics. Stimulants are drugs you can just chose not to take one day if you don't feel like it, thankfully.

edit: argh necromancers got me again!