• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

tonsil removal + pain medication

DigitalTweak

Bluelighter
I was not sure weather to post this in other drugs or medical Q&A, but decided to post here due to it is about the pain medication. I am a 17 year old male and have to get my tonsils taken out because they are enlarged and causing me a lot of pain. I was wondering if anyone knew what if any pain medications were/have been givin after this surgery? thanks.

They will probobly give you Vicodin's or Tylox(Percocet and Tylonol)

I just went through the same exact thing about a month ago. They gave me Tylenol 3's while coming out of the hospital, which I can tell you right now, are worthless for what your pain is gonna be like. I went through about 4 different pain meds, and finally ended up with some Fentynol patches, which I highly doubt you will get, I had a different doc get them for me, but Lorcets were also given to me, and them worked great!
Having your tonsils taken out sucks bad!! The first week is gonna be real hard, I didn't sleep or eat for almost 3 days until they finally gave me some decent pain meds. Whatever you do, don't let the doctors tell you that they **can't** give you anything but T3's, they'll try..but they lie.
Vics, Lorcets are the best...try for them...ask for them..you're gonna need them..good luck.

A friend of mine recently had this procedure done and his pain was real bad. At first the doc sent him home with some vicodin tussin 5/500 and he said it didn't really work at all. The next day he bitched to the doctor and scored a nice size bottle of Roxanol (liquid morphine) and that worked wonders!!! I dought most doc's would do this but ya never know.. It can't hurt to try.I think that most people would probably get a script for vicodin or percocet.

ymmv.
they sent me home with some orange sherbet and told me to only drink apple juice.

Damn... Orange sherbert? That shit is potent. Did you IV?
[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: Diffidence ]

Usually hydrocdone will be given (or something similar) .. just call back and bitch, also say you have a hard time taking the pills.. you're likely to get a syrup, and if your story is good you will get oxycodone or something like that..
Fentanyl patches? Liquid morphine? Um, don't get the kids hopes up, those are definitly NOT common post-op drugs..

If you actually got Fentanyl patches and liquid Morphine (lucky you) after having your tonsils out I'd just stick with the hydrocodone or whatever until I was feeling better and then use the more powerful stuff when I don't actually have any pain. I've always found it more fun when you can get high and not have to be hurting when you come down.
-ikarus

Originally posted by PhreeX:
[
Fentanyl patches? Liquid morphine? Um, don't get the kids hopes up, those are definitly NOT common post-op drugs..[/QB]
umm, sorry PhreeX, that's why I said I highly doubt you will get these...these did NOT come from the doc that took out the tonsils, these came from the "other" doctor.. :)