• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do us Aussies speak betterer English than the poms?

MazDan

Bluelight Crew
Honestly, I was listening to this English chick on the radio and the quality of english was just horrible..........

For example the word click she would pronounce as cli, no sounding of the c and k at all.

Anyways it got me thinking that we really do seem to speak the clearest and most correct of all the engrish speaking countries.

It’s hard for me to understand from your thread title whether or not you are serious or not. The post seems to be a parody of its objective, so I will just assume that you are being serious and provide a serious answer in turn.

I don't think it is possible to provide a tidy answer to your question. Presumably there is only anecdotal evidence to go by as I’m sure there haven’t been any published studies on the subject. However, determining the ability of an entire nation to pronounce and speak a particular language better than another nation from hearing just one person speaking seems a little to narrow minded to me.

So in my opinion it’s all relative. Immediately you must consider what constitutes the 'correct' manner of speaking. Whilst technically the notion of perfect grammar is defined in practice, different people will undoubtedly have their own opinions on how tightly or loosely those rules should be applied.

Then you have pronunciation and articulation of the various sounds, once again it depends on how tightly or loosely you want to apply to the technicalities of linguistics.

Every nationality is going to be comprised of sub-cultures with their own grammatical and linguistic skill sets. Whilst the woman you refer to would most likely be classed as a part of the ‘chav’ sub-culture in Britain, you could parallel that with the ‘yobbo’ or ‘ocka’ sub-cultures within Australia. To stick within the context of English, then you will find similar situations in the US or New Zealand. Looking outside of that there is sure to be similar dichotomy occurring within other non-English speaking countries.

So I guess I’m not saying your wrong (although I have a feeling you are), there is just no evidence to support the claim and it would be a hard hypothesis to test statistically.

eggman88888 said:
It’s hard for me to understand from your thread title whether or not you are serious or not.

Not as bleeding serious as your answer suggests.............lol.

And whats wrong with the thread title?

And of course you can judge an entire nation by just one example............lol

Nah listen to them, they all say cli and stuff like that.

init an awl.

I'm assuming by Australia you are eliminating most Aboriginal communities and the fully sick western suburbs. Hell I have to "say what" to most people I know from out western Qld on properties.

I find when I am dealing with my NZ clients I tend to fall back into my soft vowels. Also when I worked on Palm Island I would have to stop talking like the locals in case they thought I was taking the piss.... but sometimes it was the only way for them to understand me.

Personally I am a bid fan of the Caribbean english, especially when spoken by a local of Anglo origins.. Yeah mon ;)

People in glass houses spring to mind......8)

I really don't think an accent can be called incorrect use of English.

MazDan said:
And whats wrong with the thread title?

He was just saying that you are asking it as if we can give an objective answer.

When an objective answer is far beyond the scope of a thread on an internet forum. He also suggested that it might not even be possible to answer objectively to begin with.

The basis of your questioning the entire linguistic capacity of England is "this English chick on the radio". That's what we call anecdotal evidence. And it's prone to supporting ideas that we find favourable ---> confirmation bias.

There's probably people in England questioning our grasp of the English language based on a "yobo they saw on the telly last night".

Notice how it supports the theory that they are better than us, while we support the theory that we are better than them. This is what happens with anecdotal evidence. Nationlism brother.

We're probably all more similar than we think in my opinion. ;)

Hmmm.............this is becoming far to intermelectual for me.

All i know is the pommy accent pisses me off. I am glad i have a Aussie accent.

On men it's not so bad, but on women? Terrible. Annoying, irritating, frustrating... Ugh.

I'm sure many people would say the same about an Australian accent.

drugfukkdrockstar said:
All i know is the pommy accent pisses me off. I am glad i have a Aussie accent.
lolwut.

please define a 'pommy accent' :D

hint: there is no such thing. up here in scotland accents can be completely different in two towns 10 miles apart. the variations over the whole of the UK are astonishing.

some british accents/dialects grate on my nerves like fuck, especially liverpool and birmingham ones. like fingernails down a blackboard. 8o

and fwiw, i find some aussie accents to be unintelligible and annoying too. your bogans are just as annoying as our chavs! :D

(please tell me you find scottish accents sexy, dfrs, it would make my day ;))

I like the accents in Trainspotting felix. =D

I find the "chav" slang and accent to be very cool. But I find Aussie "yobo" slang and accent grating and annoying.

Is'it? Geezah. etc etc.

EDIT: post 5000.

felix said:
some british accents/dialects grate on my nerves like fuck, especially liverpool and birmingham ones. like fingernails down a blackboard. 8o

Yep that's the one i am talking about.

felix said:
(please tell me you find scottish accents sexy, dfrs, it would make my day ;))

I do actually! :D Can be a little hard to understand, but i have always found the Scottish accent sexy. In fact i wouldn't mind having that accent!

dfrssss said:
On men it's not so bad, but on women? Terrible. Annoying, irritating, frustrating... Ugh.
I think pommy chicks are awesome, I lurrrve their accent. Its a very sexually appealing thing to me. :)

drugfukkdrockstar said:
Yep that's the one i am talking about.

I do actually! :D Can be a little hard to understand, but i have always found the Scottish accent sexy. In fact i wouldn't mind having that accent!

ditto to both of these comments.

drugfukkdrockstar said:
YAY! :D

my accent has been compared to ewan mcgregor's, by the way. we were both born in perthshire.

some scottish accents are pretty horrible and difficult to understand, even for us. some glaswegians are probably the worst: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs :D