• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do us Aussies speak betterer English than the poms?

Ah come on, at least we can be united in our dislike of the English? :)

^ Aye agreed, they're a bunch of cunts.

^^ lol

I'm on the phone all the time to various call centres around the UK for work.. and I tell you some people are impossible to understand and dont know how they got a job in a call centre. The think the Yorkshire accent is starting to get to me, it just drives through my brain

Oh- reEL - Eeee

Yes, I think Aussies speak better english - per capita; then the poms. However I think educated poms speak better english then your average Aussie.

Most (if not all) English people will say they speak better English than Aussies because they speak Queen's English and they pronounce their words properly.
Funny thing is (apparently) around 200 years ago when the Yanks split from the Brits their accents were reversed, then they evolved to sound like what they do today.

The Aussie accent can be pretty shocking at times. It's so easy to speak lazily & mumble (I'm a culprit here). When in non-English speaking countries I find I get understood a lot easier when I revert back to my old Cali accent (NOT Compton, Cali) or a Transatlantic style.

Some accents I find amusing:
Carlisle UK
Manchester
Cockney
New Jersey
Boston
North/South Carolina
Quebec (my god, once I met a French-Canadian girl and when she spoke English she sounded like she popped out of Britain in the 16th century. couldn't stop laughing at her)

drugfukkdrockstar said:
All i know is the pommy accent pisses me off. I am glad i have a Aussie accent.

On men it's not so bad, but on women? Terrible. Annoying, irritating, frustrating... Ugh.

I'm certain you wouldn't mind my accent. Although I must say, I am rather well-spoken.

endlesseulogy said:
Yes, I think Aussies speak better english - per capita; then the poms. However I think educated poms speak better english then your average Aussie.
Ive generally found that enunciation is proportional to how much you read/education. I'll assume (rightly or not) that someone with a really thick bogan accent isnt the brightest spark either.

Ive always enunciated well and was even mistaken for english recently by a 'well spoken' brit. For kicks i like shocking people by dropping back into country twang like my brothers do.

Yea, imuh fukin ostrayan ay, wotsit fukin tooya?

Damien said:
I would have to agree that American's have the best command of the English language. We speak it real good.

Pity that you butcher it when you write it.

LiquidMethod said:
Most (if not all) English people will say they speak better English than Aussies because they speak Queen's English and they pronounce their words properly.
Funny thing is (apparently) around 200 years ago when the Yanks split from the Brits their accents were reversed, then they evolved to sound like what they do today.

The Aussie accent can be pretty shocking at times. It's so easy to speak lazily & mumble (I'm a culprit here). When in non-English speaking countries I find I get understood a lot easier when I revert back to my old Cali accent (NOT Compton, Cali) or a Transatlantic style.

Some accents I find amusing:
Carlisle UK
Manchester
Cockney
New Jersey
Boston
North/South Carolina
Quebec (my god, once I met a French-Canadian girl and when she spoke English she sounded like she popped out of Britain in the 16th century. couldn't stop laughing at her)

Do you say carlisle for the same reason I would. Cause everyone speaks like proper English with Scottish lingo? I think it's hilarious. It's the same with Berwick upon Tweed, I almost flipped out..

deeCee said:
Do you say carlisle for the same reason I would. Cause everyone speaks like proper English with Scottish lingo? I think it's hilarious. It's the same with Berwick upon Tweed, I almost flipped out..

Well, Berwick, much like Carlisle was at one point north of the border, as was most of Northumberland.

^^ This I do know. Still doesn't make it any less funnier hearing someone talk from there

Well, for me being someone who was born north of the border, and at one point had a very strong accent, you'd be very surprised to hear how I sound now. =D

australian english is considered poor english by alot of the world. our way of speaking is pretty lazy. i was chatting to this english girl the other night discussing this and we comapred how we say certain words and she tended to pronounce everything properly where as the australian accent is produced by taking shortcuts on pronounciations and saying words quicker.

^ That depends on how you where taught to speak really. I know plenty of Australians who pronounce words properly.

AYUP, this thread has had me pissing myself, originally from the north of England, my accent no longer knows if it's "Arthur or Martha", in Australia they reckon I sound like a pom and back in England, they reckon I sound like an Aussie.

Some great posts, the title should be more like, what is English meant to sound like, seeing as it is a language made up of raped and pillaged languages from all over Europe from Latin to French, from Norsk to Spanish. . . . . .