• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do us Aussies speak betterer English than the poms?

^Bwahahah my god what the hell?!!

The Scottish accent reminds me of one of my favorite movies - The Acid House. The accent is so think in that movie they use subtitles :D

Really? Christ, I MURDER the english language....the people I have met from England have generally had quite good enunciation etc imo.....

Whew, I was worried by poms you meant us Americans, who of course speak perfect English. Much improved over the version the UK gave us to start with, and while we may not have as concentrated diversity of accents as Scotland, we do have a wide variety. Its kinda fun to slide from one to the next in conversation to see if people notice, and what their reaction is. People typically think I have no accent at all (I adapt quickly to others in the conversation - let that be a warning to ye felix, get me drunk and I'll drown you in a Scottish or Irish accent...I'm not sure which but it sounds perfect to me), though I have a very Southern accent when talking to someone from our South (where I'm from).

But this isn't about yanks, or our damn accents. This is between poms and aussies....and I'd have to give the nod to aussies being more tolerable in general when it comes to English.

all that i know is that if i say to any aussie, goddafugginlyder mate? they understand me ;)

Actually those from the States are not to bad either I must admit.

Now dont get me started on me Welsh mate..................nearly impossible to unnerstan.

TheLoveBandit said:
Whew, I was worried by poms you meant us Americans, who of course speak perfect English.
I would have to agree that American's have the best command of the English language. We speak it real good.

Who is more annoying, Catherine Tate's Lauren Cooper (Am I bovvered?) or Australia's Kath and Kim?

I think the British probably have a better command of the language but they also generally have worse teeth.*

*fact proven by extensive viewing of The Bill

I'm glad you said 'generally' UAN

Because if you have anything bad to say about the woman I love, you better say it to me first...

F_200610_October10e_165275a.jpg

=D

Yes, its on in about 5 minutes... what am I doing here! I must prepare!

Strange, you'd think Australians wouldn't like the bill.

It's all in the annunciation.. The tremendous majority of Australian's I meet do not annunciate anything, they just crash into the word and get annoyed when it goes past 1.5 syllables (Nb: why all names are shortened to 'baz' 'daz' 'az' etc). which also relates to our funky vocal implementations such as Geelong, which no traveler *ever* gets (gee-loh-ng not guh-long)

Keep in mind it's all relative, as I know people from the midlands of England who speak terrible English, and on the flipside the 'English' spoken in South Africa is almost perfect from a tonal perspective, as they have no slang or developed colloquialisms aside from being 6'2" and saying "Yah" a lot.

Most things are invented without care for phonetics and our entire language is a big mess of rules for situations as opposed to logical construction - bit of fun though.

One of the reason learning Chinese scares me is because they have 5 or 6 'tones' of each word, and as far as reproduction goes I'm tone deaf. So its like having the sentence 'Yes I would like to buy some milk' but each of those words has 5 variations dependent on how you pronounce them.

Oi vey :)

Genasirus said:
It's all in the annunciation.. The tremendous majority of Australian's I meet do not annunciate anything, they just crash into the word and get annoyed when it goes past 1.5 syllables (Nb: why all names are shortened to 'baz' 'daz' 'az' etc). which also relates to our funky vocal implementations such as Geelong, which no traveler *ever* gets (gee-loh-ng not guh-long)

Firstly it's enunciation. Secondly ... dude:

Geelong was named in 1837 by Governor Richard Burke, with the name derived from the local Wathaurong Aboriginal name for the region, Jillong, thought to mean 'land' or 'cliffs'.

8)

But if you think Ausses are bad, come visit Singapore =D

MazDan said:
Not as bleeding serious as your answer suggests.............lol.

And whats wrong with the thread title?

And of course you can judge an entire nation by just one example............lol

Nah listen to them, they all say cli and stuff like that.

init an awl.

Does that mean all us Aussies sound like Steve Irwin or Dame Edna???

no, they're reasonably comprehensible. you guys ALL sound more like these two:

kath_kim_2.jpg

whatever it is, it's not English. 8)