• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction A Guide: Injecting into the Femoral Vein

fallen_eden

Greenlighter
[Mod Disclaimer:What you are about to read is extremely dangerous. The femoral vein literally rests against the femoral artery, and if you inject anything in to the femoral artery, there is a very good chance it could be the last time you ever inject anything. Shooting anything in to any artery can be fatal, so its suggested that you try to find another suitable injection site before you even consider using this one. Also, its a good idea to consider getting help if youve come to the point where injecting something into your femoral vein is required.

Please, if you decide to use this method, consider other options first. There are plenty of other safer areas that you can inject into before this becomes necessary. Try your hands, your feet, forearms, bicep, or ankles. Those are all safer and easier to hit veins than the femoral vein is. - sixpartseven]

[Disclaimer: Before all the suppsed "harm reduction" folks out there jump on me without reading the post and start flaming me for explaining how to inject into the femoral vein, I'll say it first: I'm NOT recommending or endorsing the use of the femoral vein for injection. It is a dangerous place to inject and should only be used as a last resort! Try all your other options before attempting femoral injection! I'll explain some safer options in this thread as well.]

And first off, here's yet another link to the well known, must read "general" guide to injection, Getting Off Right:http://www.harmreduction.org/downloads/idu_manual.pdf

Well, after doing many of my own searches on how to hit that well-known but little talked about "femoral vein," also known as "that fat vein in your groin area," I finally figured it out after some tedious research. Since I've only found threads here on BL asking how to hit that vein (and read the very unhelpful responses telling the inquirer that they're a moron for even thinking of doing such a thing), I decided to create a basic guide for femoral injection for any other curious injecting BLers to read.

Firstly, if you think all your other injection spots are dry, think again! You've probably exhausted your arms and hands, maybe you're sick of missing in your thigh, you keep getting bruises on your calves, and your feet and ankles are painful as hell and you can't even keep yourself steady so as to not miss your shots there.. Well then, before the femoral, here are a few others:

-Your torso! (on either side of your stomach, around your waistline, there are large vertical-running veins usually visible beneath the skin.)

-On the Hand:
--Webbing of the hands and in between your fingers (in between your fingers is sort of guessing as you might not see anything clearly there. Try directly in between your ring and middle finger on either hand and you might find something-I did!)
--Top of the hand and the outside of the hand (on your pinky finger side, running vertically, are veins you usually don't see when looking at the top of the hand for a vein; you have to twist your arm to see them. And look again carefully over the top of your hand and along the outside of the thumb.)
--Fingers (veins run over your knuckles which are usually popping out of the skin and pretty visible. These run into your upper fingers where they are easier/less painful to hit.)
--Inside of the wrist (these are actually safe to hit- my doctor once tried to draw blood from me in those spidery-looking blue things, and actually told me they were safe veins to inject into as well.)
--Some people have tried their palm, but this is increasingly painful and I don't really recommend it. Also, palm of hand = lots of bacteria. Also bad bruising.

-Top of the foot, the tops of your toes, big toe in particular, in between your toes (I've heard many people say in between toes works, though I personally never tried it.)

-Around the top of the knee and inside of the knee (have to twist your leg around to see the veins on the inside.)

-Chest (not recommended for women as a miss could harm your breasts and such, but the veins are still usable if you are careful.)

-Again, thighs (twist your thigh over and make sure to look at the outside for veins also), calves, and ankles can all be used, make sure you look them over and try the other suggestions above before going for your femoral. The ultimate last resort vein is probably the internal or external jugular vein, which I have seen people hit, but it is extremely dangerous as the internal jugular is located right next to the carotid artery. Puncturing the carotid artery can be very life-threatening! (Stupid nurses in hospitals have nearly killed people by jabbing the carotid when they were aiming for the jugular, and if they can't hit it, we shouldn't assume that "amateurs" like ourselves could!)

Also, if you take a look at these places mentioned and still can't see anything, try the hot bath trick. Run a nice, steamy hot bath and sit in it with the bathroom door closed as if you want to make the place a sauna, wait for 5 minutes and check again if any veins have popped into view (I do this frequently, it REALLY makes a difference). Also drink lots of water (drinks like gatorade or poweraid might also help), try doing pushups, jumping jacks, jogging around the block, running up and down stairs, lifting light weights, or basically any type of exercise that will get that heart pumping, subsequently filling those veins up with blood so you can see 'em! Also keep in mind that smoking tends to constrict veins! Have your cigarrette after you hit, not before. Heat in general can often bring up veins even better than a tie. Turn up the heaters, try to find somewhere inside to use, and avoid being anywhere cold- the cold also constricts veins.

But, as shit always happens, sometimes you can't be inside, or you can't run that hot bath.. or, maybe you can do those things and you're frustrated because you still can't see any good veins. Then we can think about potentially using the femoral vein. If you use it, do not get into the habit of it! The femoral is an imporant vein for hospital nurses in case you have an accident and they can't find any veins on your arm to insert an IV to give you blood or medications. (And you really don't want those idiots fucking around trying to get your internal jugular or subclavian vein. It's way worse to hit the carotid artery than the femoral artery.)

So, after we've exhausted all the other options, here's how we find the femoral vein.

250px-Femoral_triangle.gif

Now, in the picture above, the BLUE thing is the femoral vein. The RED one is the femoral artery. And the yellow one is the femoral nerve. Yeah, that's a dick in the picture, sorry.. But it's one of the best pics I could find to illustrate. That's a picture of your groin area; if you're a girl like me just ignore the man-genital part and imagine yours instead. As we see, the femoral vein is located DIRECTLY NEXT TO the femoral artery. That's what makes this a dangerous hit. But it can be done (ONLY in extreme circumstances, when you have no other option!) with careful care and technique.

Make sure you're using a needle that's at least 1/2" long. With a 1/2" long needle, you'll have to insert it the whole way in. Gauge isn't so important; hospitals use huge needles compared to the ones most of us might be using. Smaller gauges could be better simply because they leave a smaller puncture wound, such as 29g or 30g needles.

The femoral vein runs up through the middle of both your legs, connects through at the crease of your leg and groin, and then continues up on either side of your torso area until it merges into the other larger veins leading to the heart. (So, keep in mind that there are two of these veins, one on either side of your groin area.) While the veins run through the legs and torso as well, they only come near enough to the skin surface at the groin area to be easily injected into. Here's another picture to show you what I mean:

dialysisline.jpg

That's what the overall flow of the femoral vein looks like (the bold red vein running through the legs, groin, and sides); compare the two pictures and get familiar with where the veins and arteries are. Notice that the vein is located closest your groin area, then moving outward to the artery, and then the nerve.

Make sure you've cleaned the entire area well with alcohol pads.. just swipe all over the crook of your leg and groin (best to take off underwear when doing this) as you're not going to be exactly sure where the vein is yet. It's even better to wash the whole down-under area with soap and water first, dry, and then apply alcohol. Then spread your legs somewhat to expose the crook where your thigh and groin area connect, which will stretch the skin out so you can see clearly. You can do this by reclining slighly on a few pillows or something and separating your legs a little bit. Or, you can also support yourself upright on your knees, with your knees slightly widened so that the crook is exposed, and lean back on a wall or something else to keep your balance. (The drawback to that second position is that you have to bend your neck down a lot to see what you're doing, and that can be annoying.) Also, you might have hair in the area where the vein is.. trimming a little bit can help that.

Arteries have a pulse- they beat and push against your fingers if you try to feel one underneath the skin. So, roughly in the "middle" of the crook of your leg and groin, use one or two fingers and "feel around" for a pulse. Once you locate a pulse somewhere in that area (this can be on either side of your groin), you've found the femoral artery. Reference the two pictures and keep feeling around so that you get a sense of how big the artery is and just how it runs up from inside the middle of your leg up to your groin, and then up your side. The femoral vein runs parallel to the artery, like in first picture, on the side closest to your genitals. (So, if you're feeling on your left side, the vein is to the right of the artery; if feeling on the right side, the vein is to the left of the artery-- The first picture shows your left side only.)

Once you've gotten an idea of the artery, pay attention to how wide it is.. where you don't feel the pulse anymore is where the side of the artery stops. Keep your finger tips at the edge of where the artery stops, because the vein is right next to it. If we're looking at the left side, you've felt and found the pulse and can feel the large artery coming up from your leg. The vein is going to be just to the right of the artery, so keep the tips of your fingers pressed down to feel the pulse and feel the edge of the artery on the right-- the vein is in the space just to the right of your fingers!

Now comes the fun [ha] part. Using your syringe, inject at roughtly a 90 degree angle into the space right after the tips of your fingers. Use your non-dominant hand to keep the tips of your two fingers on the artery, feeling the pulse, during the whole procedure. Make sure you have your fingers right at the point where the artery stops! This way, you can be ABSOLUTELY SURE that when you push down, you're not going to hit that artery. Push the needle down gently and carefully; there is no need to jab it in there as some people seem to talk about doing. Also, going in slow will give you the ability to pull out quickly without doing much damage if you do happen to nick something you shouldn't have. Still feeling the edge of the artery the whole time and its pulse, push the needle all the way down (making sure you're NOT pushing down into an area where you feel any pulse!) and try to register (you'll have to register one-handed as you can't afford to take your other hand off the artery just yet.)

If you don't register, draw the needle back a little bit and push in again; you may have to push in deeper against the skin this time (AGAIN, you don't have to push hard or fast! Go slowly and gently.) Keep trying to register, if still no success, gently "fish around" by pulling back and pushing in to one side, and then the other (make sure you are going parallel to the artery; DON'T push the needle in towards the tips of your fingers where the artery/pulse is!) Using this method, you should be able to find the femoral vein. (Heat/baths may make the procedure easier, but you should be able to do this without that as long as you're not out in the snow [lol]). Once registered in the vein, you may start injecting as usual, either one-handed or you can take your other hand off the artery to help steady your needle as you do the shot. Keep in mind that the blood is flowing upwards towards your heart, even though you've got the syringe pushed in perpendicular at a weird 90 degree angle. You might be able to orient/tip the syringe a little bit to reflect the fact that you're shooting "upward" if this is easier for you, or you can inject straight in at 90 degrees.

When done, pull out, apply pressure with a tissue to stop any bleeding, commense usual rinsing or disposing routine.. It's also a good idea to clean the site off with soap or alcohol after you're done as well, since sweat tends to build up in the groin area and can cause infections in an open injection wound.

You'll know if you hit an artery if you feel an "electric burn" sensation along your leg when pushing down. If you register in an artery, the blood will look bright red and frothy, and the pressure in the artery might even push the needle out. Go slowly, and you'll notice a slight stinging sensation if the tip of your needle is nearing an artery. If that happens, pull back and try to aim away from the artery. If you've hit the artery (it will hurt like HELL and you'll know; it will probably bleed a lot too), pull out immediately and apply firm pressure to the area to stop the bleeding. I've hit arteries before by accident (though not in that area), and if you keep firm pressure and stop the bleeding, all will probably turn out fine. Keep pressure on the area for 10 minutes, and lie down with your legs put up on something so that the groin area is slightly elevated above the heart. If the bleeding doesn't stop after 10 minutes, get help- call 911 or have someone bring you to a hospital.

Overall, be safe, be smart, and only attempt to use the femoral vein as a last resort! Make sure to not hit it repeatedly; it's one of the most important veins in your body and can't afford damage.. Remember that both sides can be used, and check all your other areas first before going for your femoral.

Happy and safe injecting, friends!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Great, well written post. I nominate you for immediate "Bluelighter" status.

I injected coke in my femoral veins when I ran out of options 2 years ago. I was very lucky I never seriously hurt myself.

Not sure why, but it was always difficult for me to find a pulse after I had been shooting for a while (shallow and rapid, perhaps?). Anyway, I used to mark "the spot" on each side with a Sharpie marker prior to a session so that I had a reference point after I was seeing double . . .

I also used to buy 3cc rigs with 1 - 1 1/2 inch 25g. needles to use expressly for femoral injecting. I found it easier to register at an angle than going in at 90 degrees.

I agree with you that femoral and jugular injecting is truly a last resort, but appears necessary at times, especially from the reference point of a user or addict.

Be safe. Have fun.

FC

Yay, someone liked it. lol. Again at some point I know someone's going to yell at me for posting this, but it's better to explain how to do this rather than leave someone in withdrawal trying to guess blindly and have them hit an artery in the process.

When exactly do I get "Bluelight" status, anyways? I'm not even sure if I can respond to PMs yet :p

I searched BL and google for info on this and barely found anything.. (except instructions for nurses and stuff, I had to figure it out from there.) I did find several BL posts where some poor people were asking about the femoral and got yelled at.. Once I finally got it down, I figured I'd better post something like this so that it'll come up in the search results in the future.

Ha I thought about using a marker too, but for me, I can feel the pulse strongly and as long as I keep my hand there, I can rest assured that there's no way I'll hit the artery by accident. Maybe push your fingers in deeper to find the pulse? (If I do it, I push my index and middle finger in forcefully until I can feel it.) Yeah, and larger needles could make things easier (I only have access to 1/2", so I've got to work with them.) Definitely good suggestion though, thanks for the feedback <3

I don't understand how you can not have any veins left.

Even the topical veins on the thighs are better than trying for the femoral vein.

But this is kinda ridiculous. It's like "okay for harm reduction we have to teach people how to shoot the angry-vein in the forehead!".

There IS a limit to how far harm reduction goes.

Interesting post, but I don't think anyone would have to use their femoral veins if they are practicing site rotation and using clean rigs.

Very nice post indeed but i think ill just stick to the tops of my hands / wrists and inner arm.

It's not that I don't have any veins left.. like I said, I think it's better that people at least know something about this vein before they try to use it- it's very commonly referenced in the heroin user's community, but no one talks about how to use it safely when they feel they're running out of other options. If someone's going to try it, then they should at least be able to find accurate information rather than blind guessing (and the information just isn't out there- the main purpose of the post is so it will come up in search results for someone who is considering it.) And don't forget that I went through a lot of other options before talking about the femoral vein; that was the other purpose.. People will often think that they're "out" of veins when they really just haven't looked in other places.

While of course it makes sense that if you're practicing safe injection technique and site rotation, you should have no need to even think about the femoral vein.. But, there are some out there who either didn't have access to the right information about injection, didn't learn to rotate sites or use other safe procedures, and subsequently fucked a lot of other veins up. This post is more for those people, like I said, I'm not telling people to start shooting in their femoral for the fun of it. But if someone is going to do it, I want them to not kill themselves by injecting into/puncturing an artery with desperate guessing.

At least I'm not explaining how to hit the internal jugular, which I've actually seen more people use (in person), than I've seen use the femoral. (And like I said up above, the internal jugular is much more dangerous to attempt than the femoral!)

i have seen the Jugular being used in person. It looked really really nasty, cause he choked himself so it would pop out. But damn, it was a nice big fat vein..

sorry, but what's the problem with shooting into Arteries? I read that all the time, but when i ask, nobody can answer, and they just say "well don't do it"... Then i ask why and they are still like "Just don't do it"... Well, why not?

^ at worst, it could be fatal. It could also lead to amputations or gangrene.

What happens in worst case scenarios: it causes an embolism, can lead to blocking of blood flow, which leads to necrosis of the limb that you injected into. In turn, you have to get the limb amputated.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:

Even the topical veins on the thighs are better than trying for the femoral vein.

But this is kinda ridiculous. It's like "okay for harm reduction we have to teach people how to shoot the angry-vein in the forehead!".

There IS a limit to how far harm reduction goes.

Interesting post, but I don't think anyone would have to use their femoral veins if they are practicing site rotation and using clean rigs.

QFT

This is not reducing harm. If anything, it could cause a lot more harm. Its much easier to just maintain the health of your veins by using fresh needles and rotating injections sites. If you do both, there should never be a need for anyone to do this.

sorry, but what's the problem with shooting into Arteries?

Basically, you can't shoot into arteries for several reasons. For one, an artery has *pressure* because it is the fresh, oxygenated blood that's being pumped straight out of your heart (that's why it has a pulse, it's being pumped). Arteries also flow "downward" so to speak, taking the new oxygenated blood to your limbs. Then, the system takes a turn back around and returns the blood back up to the heart- those are the veins that people shoot in. If you tried doing shooting into the artery, not only would you be trying to shoot against the bloodflow, but the pressure of the pumping blood can push your needle out and spew your shot everywhere in the tissue as a huge miss. And if you did manage to get stuff into the artery, it could lead to blockages etc.. like sixpartseven said.

Though I'm not sure why some people are hating on me (lol) for explaining this. Everyone assumes that people start off instantly knowing everything you should know about injection before you do it.. And while that's the smart thing to do (get as educated as possible), some just don't have access to the knowledge. And people forget that some don't have access to clean syringes, each time, every time, like I and many other people here do (because I *used* to live in a state where getting syringes was almost impossible short of robbing the pharmacy!) But the key word is *if* you exercised safety from the beginning, you shouldn't have to do this. But what if, for some reason, you were unable to? (And let's also remember that Getting Off Right gives instructions on how to use the femoral too- they're just rather inadequate instructions, which is why I decided to elaborate.)

Am I reducing harm? For the people who already have done enough damage to their bodies, the 40 and 60yr old junkies that I know.. who started off not knowing about rotation, new needles, not sharing water.. For them, they really *don't* have much left, and I've seen it. For *them*, yes, I would call it harm reduction. For a 20 year old, like those I've seen blabbering about trying to shoot in their neck and saying that they "hit something weird" and "it hurt a lot", they would be benefiting from the topmost portion of my post, where I mention a lot of those places people don't think to look! And even if they ignored that part, learning to successfully use the femoral is much easier than learning to use the jugular.

So no, for folks who were priveledged and had access to all the right information, this isn't harm reduction; it's something you should just ignore and just use the normal rotation and safety techniques you know. But for the older folks, the ones I know, and the people I *know* are out there just like them, this is harm reduction for them. Well, one might argue that harm reduction for them would be to tell them to get on methadone or quit. But are they going to do it? Some will, but many won't. I'd rather they learn how to use their femoral safely rather than continue to miss or skin-pop shots in random places (including the neck, as I've seen people guessing there too!) So, I guess you can decide.

And eh, some people who have injected into the femoral will cite *ahem* "benefits" of doing so. I didn't mention any of them because I'm NOT advocating for people to just go out and do this. The post is here so that when someone feels desperate, they can look it up.. Then, they'll learn other places to look FIRST, and if those don't work, they can learn to use their femoral in an emergency *without* killing themselves. I guess it's just how you see it. But I'm guessing there are a lot of younger people here who haven't seen the old-timers yet and the damage that ignorance can do.

I was also worried that the mod might remove my post if it was "over the line" judging by the search results on BL that I found criticizing people asking about the femoral, so I wanted to thank sixpartseven for at least leaving it be, and also thanks for adding the bold red at the top as an additional disclaimer.

^ No ones hating on you.

What everyone is saying is that this sort of goes against harm reduction. Teaching someone to do this could cause more harm than good. Harm reduction is to teach someone to rotate injection sites on their arms and to always use new rigs, not to blindly stick a needle into their thigh and hope they hit a vein that is literally centimeters away from their femoral artery.

Nothing about this is beneficial to harm reduction. In a way, it goes completely against it.

I have said this before, but there are a lot of options for veins even if you have used your arms/hands/feet/legs. Instead of digging deep for the femoral, there are a lot of surface veins around the waist/upper thigh.. from about where your belt goes up to the bottom of your ribcage. These are a lot safer than digging for the femoral because they can be seen from the surface and arent near any major arteries. I used up my arms and most of my legs and had to shoot here for a while, and there are plenty of strong veins that you can see/hit pretty easily. sometimes you gotta stretch your skin tight to hit them properly, but again there are some big ones that dont require much effort at all. Upper thigh part is easier, but if even that area is exhausted you can move to abdomen area, just dont go too deep.

just a thought before you go for the femoral (very very risky)

Check out the Heirachy of Safety for IV Drug Use

Femoral injecting is highly dangerous for all the reasons mentioned, but for people who are at the point of hitting their jugular then groin is the better option. There are plenty of people in that boat too, and this guide will serve them well.

There's been recent debate in the journal Addiction about the ethics of teaching femoral injecting -> here and here. I can get fulltext if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
well written... more interested in the techniques you mentioned before the femural vvein.. (belly, ankles....)

thank god!

i am incredibly thankful for this post. on several occastions i've posted asking about the femoral artery, and like you said, in return i just got yelled at about how dangerous it was. i understand it's dangerous, doing drugs is fucking dangerous, but if addicts are going to use drugs regardless, it's better that atleast we have all the infomation. i have only been injecting drugs for four years, and i absolutely cannot find anymore veins. i spend up too three hours in the bathroom poking myself, have tried my wrists, palms, fingers, knuckles, feet, ankles, you name it. i am a small girl, only about 100 pounds, and even when i first started using i had an extremely difficult time finding veins and because no one would help me by giving me the best way to go about it, i have done plently of damage poking around trying to figure it out myself. so i am very glad that you posted this, i understand all of the dangers and i am willing to risk it, it's my life, fuck you, people are going to do what they want to do regardless, so atleast give them the infomation so they can be as safe as possible while doing it.

i've done more damage to myself just poking around, missing shots, hitting nerves and things i shouldn't have hit, because i didn't have the infomation and i am very lucky that nothing serious has ever happened to me. i am at the last of my days when it comes to injecting and i am looking at my options, i just started a program to help kick the habit this week, but in the meantime (unless i want to be very sick) i have to find ways to inject, and if it wasn't for this post and other post like it i could have very easily hurt myself badly because i didn't know what i was doing and was going to try to do it anyway. so thank you, i am going to try and get help, but from day one i always rotated sites and used clean needles, tried to workout and drink water, i just have never had good veins, and now over the years i've destroyed every area (including my neck) that i have no where else to go. i really appreciate someone understanding, that no, this isn't something people should be doing, but people are going to do it anyway. so let's atleast have all the infomation, know what we're doing, know the risks and make our own decisions. people will do what they want to do, and when i posted asking for help finding the femoral vein and other questions and just got yelled at saying i'm a junkie go get help, it didn't stop me from trying anyway, so thank you for understanding that some people, even with doing the right thing, don't have any options left. and yes, they should go get help, but until they are ready to do that atleast give them all the infomation so they can be as safe as possible and know what they are doing until that happens.

i have blindly, not knowing at all what i was doing, tried to find the femoral vein before, luckily not hurting myself but never hitting either, so this post has been great and i will try it again today, knowing the right way this time, so i can stop really fucking up other parts of my body until i do get help kicking this addiction. i understand all the dangers of using the femoral veins, and i have looked all over the place trying to find other spots to use, but i am really having an extremely hard time, spending hours and hours in the bathroom is insane, so this is beyond helpful because i will no longer be hurting myself because i am informed. thank you.

amber dawn

one time i couldn't hit in my upper arms, hands, wrists, NOWHERE! (id been banging coke all night so i blame myself now)
there's this vein in my dick, a big fat one, i'd been curious for a long time...
tried it...
worked.
sounds way better than the femroal vein

i am incredibly thankful for this post. on several occastions i've posted asking about the femoral artery, and like you said, in return i just got yelled at about how dangerous it was. . .

amber dawn

I sent you a link to this post 9 months ago. Glad you finally found it.

FC

If you are even considering to inject into your Femoral vein, you really need to sit back and think about your drug use. When it comes down to banging dope or whatever it is into that vein, it's time to get help or die.

Injecting drugs recreationally is fucking stupid, let alone your FUCKING FEMORAL VEIN!

+1 to wiggi:
If you are even thinking about injecting into your femoral vein, really sit down and think about your drug use.

fightclub

to fight club-
\yeah, i know you did, i didn't see it, i'm still having a hard time, if someone could just show me once i'd be good. i'm living in port richmond now, right around allegheny and aramingo, but i stopped talking to people who do what i do, so i don't have anyone to show me. i can't find the pulse, i swear i'm fucking dead already, no veins, no pulse. i just started on methadone until i can get my shit together enough to totally quit, i figure it's better than what i'm doing now, seeing as i can't hit for the life of me. but until the methadone starts working i gotta figure out something i can't keep missing shots like this and fucking myself up, it's gross. i'll read your message and this post over again for the hundreth time i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong, i just can't find a pulse. my blood pressure is always really low, i tried the different tricks mentioned to get my blood going but so far not much luck.

amber dawn
fuck the rest of you. it's obvious you haven't been there or understand a goddamn thing about addiction. stopping doesn't happen over night.