• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone WITHDRAWAL questions

nile420

Ex-Bluelighter
So i've bee on Methadone treatment for about 9 months now, i made it up to 95mg's a day, now.. around the 7th=8th month i made it down to 65mg's with a taper of about 3-5mg's a week.

Due to failing random drug tests at my clinic for Xanax and Valium, they have me on a supervised withdrawl (i knew this would happen sooner or later) tapering down 4mg's a day!, now at first i was pretty worried, but after coming down 42mg's in almost 2 weeks, i have almost no withdrawl symptoms besides having trouble sleeping, and the slight pain in my body/bones (nothing like i expected tho.

now what im wondering is, when i come down to like 5mg or 0 will the withdrawls hit me all at once after the 24-36 hour half life leaves my body? or will i remain pretty much in the state i'm in?

Any info from people on/or have been on Methadone M befor. thanks.

PS. today im on 18mg's, 2 weeks ago i was on 66mg's.

ChemicalSmile said:
Depends on the person, everyone is different.

Right right..... well i'm off to the clinic, i'll be back to read more responses in a few hours i hope.

I was up to 300mg of OC a day when I switched over to methadone. I learned that the done is really powerful. I started at 40mgs a day and it held me fine. I went down to 20mgs in a weeks time still fine. I got down to 10mgs and sure wanted to do more but I was able to do all I have to do in life. I went down to 5mgs a day after only three weeks and was able to do what I had to. This really blew my mind as I has a huge OC habit for 5 years. Saved a ton of money and I started going two days before taking more. I am ashamed to admit it but I went back on them fucking OC's again. If I did'nt I am sure the physical side of withdrawal would of been easy but the mental side is a Mother Fucker. It really is a wonderful thing if you taper but you need to be super strong because the urge to do alot is always there.

Stay away from this site because just being on here makes me want to run and snort a 80.

Sorry to break it to you but the first 90% of methadone withdrawel is easy. once you get down to around 10-15mg you are really going to be fealling like shit. at least thats how it was with me. i went from 90 to 15 because of not paying my bill and i thought i was cool till i got down to 20 and felt like death so i just payed the $800 and got off of detox.

I did'nt feel like shit too much at 10mg but I had some trouble sleeping (a little weed helped) but it did nothing for the mental side. All I thought about was doing opiates.

I got myself off of 240mg/day (i never even told the clinic), and it was suprisingly easy. I reduced my dose ~10% each week, and stopped completely @ 5mg (fortunately i was taking the 10mg pills, so this was easy for me to do). At the very end there was considerable joint pain, and I probably wont be producing significant quantities of endogenous endorphins for some time, so every time i hurt myself i really feel it (also, every injury i incurred while on benzos/opioids i feel now, like the many screws/plates holding together my shattered ankle)...

Other than that, i think people make it out to be so much harder than it is (especially at very high doses like i was taking). Obviously you must have some measure of will power, especially if no one is forcing you/telling you to get off...

negrogesic said:
I got myself off of 240mg/day (i never even told the clinic), and it was suprisingly easy. I reduced my dose ~10% each week, and stopped completely @ 5mg (fortunately i was taking the 10mg pills, so this was easy for me to do). At the very end there was considerable joint pain, and I probably wont be producing significant quantities of endogenous endorphins for some time, so every time i hurt myself i really feel it (also, every injury i incurred while on benzos/opioids i feel now, like the many screws/plates holding together my shattered ankle)...

Other than that, i think people make it out to be so much harder than it is (especially at very high doses like i was taking). Obviously you must have some measure of will power, especially if no one is forcing you/telling you to get off...

i gotta give you your propers man. dropping 24 mgs a week is no easy feet especially once your down low in the mg's. good job sticking it out man. not even jail has been able to stop me from getting on the clinic. hope you can stick through the long and aggonizing mental withdrawl that lays ahead, that in my opinion is the worst part but you can do it if you want to. good luck man take it easy.;)

heroin withdrawal wasw much more intense than methadone withdrawal but it doesnt last as long...people do make out methadone withdrawal as the worst ever and it does suck but its not the terrible shit you go thru when yer dopesick from iv heroin...

ive been clean from methadone for 3 plus years but i still feel paws related feeling...very foggy thoughts, boredom, tiredness, just overal lack of enthusiasm for life in general(sex, sports, just everything)....

sub seems more effective/les painfull to detox from what i've read... you might want to talk to ur doc at the clinic to change oiver... jus an idea...

I wasn't even aware that "PAWS" was a term, much less an observed syndrome. I have been getting some racing/cyclical thoughts (though i still do extremely well in school), and my stress response is not as good as it was (also as i mentioned, the joint pain can be very intense, namely the back, knees, wrists, ankles). I assumed this was a function of the huge doses I was taking, and didnt know it was possibly part of a more generalized syndrome...

PAWs always made me feel 'incomplete'. Like something about me, something great, was missing. It goes away after a few months, but the cravings are still there. They just arn't ALWAYS there. They come and go.

phatass said:
sub seems more effective/les painfull to detox from what i've read... you might want to talk to ur doc at the clinic to change oiver... jus an idea...

The nurses keep asking me if i want to jump over on Sub when i hit like 15-20mg's but i'm not gonna do that, i might as well just detox everything while i can.

negrogesic said:
I wasn't even aware that "PAWS" was a term, much less an observed syndrome. I have been getting some racing/cyclical thoughts (though i still do extremely well in school), and my stress response is not as good as it was (also as i mentioned, the joint pain can be very intense, namely the back, knees, wrists, ankles). I assumed this was a function of the huge doses I was taking, and didnt know it was possibly part of a more generalized syndrome...

Yeah i get the joint/bone pain and it fucking sucks pig dick, but taking an Oxy or any opiate is a fucking god send for withdrawls, i dont always have Oxy or opiates though, also Xanax and weed combined helps like a motherfucker with the withdrawls.

nile420 said:
Yeah i get the joint/bone pain and it fucking sucks pig dick, but taking an Oxy or any opiate is a fucking god send for withdrawls, i dont always have Oxy or opiates though, also Xanax and weed combined helps like a motherfucker with the withdrawls.

Errr... Doesn't that completely defeat the point of detoxing from Methadone?

Yes, it WILL hit you hard but more than likely at the 40 to 30 mg increment. This is because you having been on MMT for 9 months more or less, have reached the stage called "Optimum Dosing."

At this point it is stored within the plasma concentrations act as a sort of reservoir system. Combined with the super high receptor affinity, and super long half life, it makes for a super long withdrawl (but one that is far more mild than any other opiate/opioid of similar strength (i.e. Morphine Class substances).

From your regular dosage down to the 60s, you still haver reserves. When you get down past 50 the fun starts, and hits the hardest almost always between 40 and 30 mgs.Thei pint is popularly known as "hitting the wall."

Myself? Having just repeated it in another recent trhread I am loathe to do so here, but not everyone is a long term member and may benefit from my expereince.

I was on MMT for 17 years, my last maintained dosage (and last dosage per se) was 160, but was 220 for most of my treatment. I went Cold Turkey July 19th due to geographical considerations and wa in W/D for 8.5 days. The symptoms ae extremly mild.

In cases like incarceration where was first to decreae 10 mgs. every 3 days, it was as I described in my first couple of paragraphs.

rachamim said:
Yes, it WILL hit you hard but more than likely at the 40 to 30 mg increment. This is because you having been on MMT for 9 months more or less, have reached the stage called "Optimum Dosing."

At this point it is stored within the plasma concentrations act as a sort of reservoir system. Combined with the super high receptor affinity, and super long half life, it makes for a super long withdrawl (but one that is far more mild than any other opiate/opioid of similar strength (i.e. Morphine Class substances).

From your regular dosage down to the 60s, you still haver reserves. When you get down past 50 the fun starts, and hits the hardest almost always between 40 and 30 mgs.Thei pint is popularly known as "hitting the wall."

Myself? Having just repeated it in another recent trhread I am loathe to do so here, but not everyone is a long term member and may benefit from my expereince.

I was on MMT for 17 years, my last maintained dosage (and last dosage per se) was 160, but was 220 for most of my treatment. I went Cold Turkey July 19th due to geographical considerations and wa in W/D for 8.5 days. The symptoms ae extremly mild.

In cases like incarceration where was first to decreae 10 mgs. every 3 days, it was as I described in my first couple of paragraphs.

Down to 14mg's today, and your right, it is Mild, only real problem i have is sleep, Xanax helps tho.

Down to 10mg's todays and the withdrawls are pretty horrid now.. so i went and bought a bunch of xanax 2mg's, Perc 10's and some really kind bud, after taking all 3 together last night i slept like a baby with no withdrawl whatsoever.

i just hope it lasts til this is over.

AWWW Methadone withdrawal's SUCK, *I'd rather suck an uncirmsized dick with schmegma caught all up in the folds of the foreskin*

Well it's not THAT bad, but it does suck and it lasts LONG.

nile420 said:
Down to 10mg's todays and the withdrawls are pretty horrid now.. so i went and bought a bunch of xanax 2mg's, Perc 10's and some really kind bud, after taking all 3 together last night i slept like a baby with no withdrawl whatsoever.

i just hope it lasts til this is over.

It will only last as long as the high lasts unfortunatly, than the WD's are WORSE :(