View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Permafried

MikeJ77

Bluelighter
I've always heard stories revolving around acid and similar psychedelics "permafrying" a person's brain after doing too much either in their lifetime or all at once. For instance, I've heard stories of someone who took waaaay too much lsd (supposedly dropped fifteen hits and then his remaining fifteen while tripping) and is now permanently convinced he is a glass of orange juice for the rest of his life and is terrified to bump into people for fear of getting knocked over and spilling his insides out. And another is of someone who (once again took waaaay too much acid) is "permafried" and pops bubbles in front of his face that no one else can see for the rest of his life. Is there any basis to these stories? Or are these just urban legends spread around to scare people from taking Lucy for a ride? Not that I plan on taking 30 hits, this is jus something that I've been wondering about.

MikeJ77 said:
I've always heard stories revolving around acid and similar psychedelics "permafrying" a person's brain after doing too much either in their lifetime or all at once. For instance, I've heard stories of someone who took waaaay too much lsd (supposedly dropped fifteen hits and then his remaining fifteen while tripping) and is now permanently convinced he is a glass of orange juice for the rest of his life and is terrified to bump into people for fear of getting knocked over and spilling his insides out. And another is of someone who (once again took waaaay too much acid) is "permafried" and pops bubbles in front of his face that no one else can see for the rest of his life. Is there any basis to these stories? Or are these just urban legends spread around to scare people from taking Lucy for a ride? Not that I plan on taking 30 hits, this is jus something that I've been wondering about.

dont tell me you actually believe this stuff. I think the only basis for this is some pretty bad hppd that culturally morphed into bullshit.

lol that glass of oj thing is a myth, except i heard that the guy was running away from the cops and slipped a few sheets down his shirt and got absorbed in his skin =P.....I doubt acid can "permafry" ur brain by taking a big dose....But i heard somewhere that using it many many times over an extended period of time can lead to some sort of psychosis.....? Not sure if this is true tho

Well, I consider tripping itself to be an induced state of temporary psychosis. After all, our perceptions are greatly altered... :)

there's no doubt in my mind that psychedelics can worsen mental illnesses or even cause them if they are abused enough. remember, there are people who develop mental illnesses without ever touching drugs. so why is it hard to believe that a drug user could become mentally ill, whether drugs were the direct cause or not? i have no idea whether there is any bases in reality to orange juice story but to claim that there is zero possibility of of heavy psychedelic drug use impacting someone's mental health is just ignorant in my opinion.

Taking "too much" acid and frying yourself doesn't happen. See, after a certain dose, the receptors become saturated, no more LSD can bind to them. After this dose, taking more acid only adds length. In other words (other than physical side-effects) 20 hits of acid feels the same as 100 hits of acid. Or 200 hits of acid. All that's different is the length of time you're going to be tripping. You hear stories of people accidentally taking 100 hits and being crazy forever. Those stories are bullshit. I actually know someone who has been known to drink whole vials (100 hits) on occasion.

LSDreamer said:
Taking "too much" acid and frying yourself doesn't happen. See, after a certain dose, the receptors become saturated, no more LSD can bind to them. After this dose, taking more acid only adds length. In other words (other than physical side-effects) 20 hits of acid feels the same as 100 hits of acid. Or 200 hits of acid. All that's different is the length of time you're going to be tripping. You hear stories of people accidentally taking 100 hits and being crazy forever. Those stories are bullshit. I actually know someone who has been known to drink whole vials (100 hits) on occasion.

if about 20 hits is the same as one hundred, why did you allow him to waste so much acid?

I think the OP was more referring to reasonable doses, but repeatted far too often leading to the 'permafry' rather thasn one fuck-off sized dose.

If there are any you know of where you knew the person before they went sideways into weirdness, you tend to find that they were dancing to a different drummer long before they got anywhere near drugs; tripping just sort of 'helped them along' the road to annoying headcase (although they always see themselves as quaint eccentrics)

Well, I was specifically speaking to the "he sweated and absorbed 100 hits of acid through his skin and went permacrazy" stories. In fact, last I checked, acid doesn't actually absorb through the skin.

fastandbulbous said:
I think the OP was more referring to reasonable doses, but repeatted far too often leading to the 'permafry' rather thasn one fuck-off sized dose.

If there are any you know of where you knew the person before they went sideways into weirdness, you tend to find that they were dancing to a different drummer long before they got anywhere near drugs; tripping just sort of 'helped them along' the road to annoying headcase (although they always see themselves as quaint eccentrics)

yeah i friend like that. before he got into drugs he was always a little bit weird. then he got addicted to shrooms and lsd. i've never known anyone else who was addicted to these drugs as he was. he would trip constantly until his tolerance was so high he didn't get any affect. then he would wait for a few days and then start tripping every day again. after a few years of this, he basically went crazy, ended up in a mental hospital and then rehab FOR PSYCHEDELICS. after he got out of rehab, he admitted he had done way too many psychedelics and they made him crazy but then he relapsed and starting tripping constantly again and again ended up in a mental hospital. that is the last i heard from him. i've never known anyone else to abuse psychedelics to that degree though.

LSDreamer said:
In fact, last I checked, acid doesn't actually absorb through the skin.

I hope you're kidding... are you aware of the history of LSD? That is exactly how it's psychoactive effects were first discovered in 1943.

It's more likely Al rubbed his eye or somesuch. I'm fairly certain it's a myth that LSD will absorb through the skin. I'm sure someone can give a definite answer either way. F&B?

Hypochondria is killing all of America :( ..... :) I suggest not seeing a doctor if you fel (Permafried), but if its painful or keeps you from functioning then see a very good liberal doctor and dont forget to explain some possibilities of your condition intelligently. I really dont believe in drug burnout really, if there is such a thing I think time would be the only and obvious cure.

burn out said:
there's no doubt in my mind that psychedelics can worsen mental illnesses or even cause them if they are abused enough. remember, there are people who develop mental illnesses without ever touching drugs. so why is it hard to believe that a drug user could become mentally ill, whether drugs were the direct cause or not?

Drugs can affect mental illness in people susceptible to mental illness. If you arn't susceptible to mental illness then drugs arn't going to make you mentally ill.

That's why some people take acid once and have problems whereas John Lennon took it a thousand times and didn't have a problem.

Incidentally it's also worth pointing out that drugs can have an incredibly positive effect on your mental health. No-one ever says this but for every person who thinks drugs have negatively affected their mental health there's probably 100 who found it helped.

Incidentally, I am the man who thought he was a glass of orange juice. For 10 years I remained standing for fear that if I sat down I would "spill".

After intensive therapy I now believe I am a glass of frozen lemonade. This enables me to sit without fear of "spilling".

It seems like a bad LSD trip(and I mean bad) can cause something similar to mental illness.

IE:

Extreme anxiety/depression

A traumatic expereince...no tellin what it can do.

Paralogic said:
Hypochondria is killing all of America :( ..... :)

This is very true - we are a nation deathly afraid of death. Everyone is obsessed with contracting some rare disease like SARS or mad cow disease, or getting a one in a billion anthraxed letter in the mail. With psychedelic users, I've noticed a
large number who think they have Hppd and their lives are ruined (not to slight those actually do have severe, debilitating hppd).

The real problem is a lack of spirituality. If you have a purpose in life, you go out and try to complete it, and if you fail you try again, keep trying until you die - it's really that simple, as simple as loving other people. If you have some kind of affliction, well, join the club.

Happy Easter everyone!

Ismene said:
Drugs can affect mental illness in people susceptible to mental illness. If you arn't susceptible to mental illness then drugs arn't going to make you mentally ill.

prove it. i believe they could. the brain does not possess infinite plasticity.
That's why some people take acid once and have problems whereas John Lennon took it a thousand times and didn't have a problem.

LOL please tell me you are not serious.

“One night, after a few joints, a bit of LSD, we were sitting around at Kenwood playing tapes when John suddenly said: ’Pete, I think I’m Jesus Christ.’ ’You what?’ I said. ’I’m Jesus Christ. I’m back again.’ ’Oh yeah,’ I said. ’What are you going to do about it?’ ’I’ve got to tell the world who I am.’ ’They’ll kill you.’ ’That can’t be helped,’ said John. ’How old was Jesus when they killed him?’ ’I reckon about 32.’ ’Then I’ve got at least four years to go,’ said John. ’First thing tomorrow morning, we’ll go into Apple and tell the others.’ “

Next morning, Pete contacted Apple to arrange an emergency board meeting. All four Beatles turned up, plus Neil Aspinall (once the Beatles’ roadie, later Apple’s managing director) and Derek Taylor, their press officer. “Right,“ said John, sitting behind his desk. “I’ve something very important to tell you all. I am...Jesus Christ. I have come back again. This is my thing.“

The Beatles looked rather stunned, but said nothing. “It was totally surreal,“ says Pete. “But nobody cross-examined him. No plans were made to announce the Messiah’s arrival. There was a bit of muttering, then silence, till somebody suggested the meeting was adjourned for lunch. “In the restaurant over lunch a man came up to John and said: ’Really nice to meet you, how are you?’ ’Actually,’ said John, ’I’m Jesus Christ.’ ’Oh, really,’ said the man. ’Well, I liked your last record.’ “

http://articles.absoluteelsewhere.net/Articles/my_friend_john_davies.html

so john lennon takes lsd, and concludes that he is jesus christ and believes this strongly enough to tell a fan even the next day after it has worn off and you don't think that is a problem? i assume you believe john lennon really was jesus christ then? after john lennon stopped using lsd because he couldn't handle the bad trips he was having, he developed addictions to cocaine and heroin. once again, how do you not see that as a problem? it doesn't seem much like jesus like behavior.

Incidentally it's also worth pointing out that drugs can have an incredibly positive effect on your mental health. No-one ever says this but for every person who thinks drugs have negatively affected their mental health there's probably 100 who found it helped.

no one ever says it because most people are smart enough not to make up statistics. if you're telling me no one has ever said drugs can have an incredibly positive affect on mental health, you need to review your history because quite a few people have said that. i'm going to show you one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

LSDreamer said:
It's more likely Al rubbed his eye or somesuch. I'm fairly certain it's a myth that LSD will absorb through the skin. I'm sure someone can give a definite answer either way. F&B?

Yeah, either accidental oral absorbtion or inhalation of LSD 'dust' particles (the first reported experience by Hoffman sounds like a 40-50ug dose and it will not take many dust particles of LSD to give a 50ug dose.

Some people tried to enable skin absorbtion by using DMSO (dimethylsulphoxide) as a carrier solvent, but even with that a transdermal dose proved difficult to give, so straight skin absorbtion without a carrier medium seems highly unlikely (unless he bit the skin around his fingernails leaving the possibility of absorbing it via a wound - I have been mildly altered by absorbing desoxypipradrol by way of a finger 'wound' before)