• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Permafried

LSDreamer said:
It's more likely Al rubbed his eye or somesuch. I'm fairly certain it's a myth that LSD will absorb through the skin. I'm sure someone can give a definite answer either way. F&B?
You are wrong. it can definitely be absorbed through the skin. its somewhat wasteful, but it does absorb and produce effects.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive or disrespect your level of experience. My comment was more along the lines of suggesting that self psychotherapy does not work for people that are truely friend because they are contending with neurochemicals issues and not just their own distorted perspectives. I have actually successfully recovered from bad trips via self psycho therapy as well but I don't think its a viable alternative for most people in that predicament.

Also I strongly disagree that one must be predisposed to mental illness for psychedelics to unmasked latentent disorders. On the contrary, I believe psychs themselves can cause the illnesses in the first place. Of course people will always have varying levels of sussceptability (some will be virtually safe in all but the most extreme usage patterns). I stand by the idea that psychs can cause mental illness in people with no family history or previous forewarming signs. Coincidentally (or maybe there is a pattern to this) many people who are a bit flakey to begin with are atracted to drug culture and become exposed to powerfull mind altering agents so maybe this is why the predisposition hypothesis is so widely accepted.

Further, I do not believe HPPD is something that happens only to those predisposed (who wakes up one day with HPPD after never tripping?). Again some members of the populations are more susceptable than others but its the drugs themselves that cause this disorder in my opinion.

MasterOfDeception said:
No need to get offensive. You don't know what has happened to me and what mental torturing i've been through, by the way. ;)
And I am talking about such an approach exactly to REDUCE the possibilities of such things happening, and prevent 'it happen to me'.

So do you deny the psychotherapeutic potential of psychedelics?

It is well known that those that abuse psychedelics (as in using them to get fucked up, in high frequency, and disrespecting set/setting) have many more chances of becoming some psychedelic casualty.
On the other hand those that focus more on learning themselves or know a bit more about what they are doing are generally more protected. Do not get me wrong please, I am not bragging or anything, not playing the shaman or the ultimate immune superpsychonaut. I just think that the mentality the majority of people that ingest psychedelics have is not as healthy/appropriate as it should be. Tell me where you disagree.

I've also seen how LOW certain experiences can throw you and drain you,but even then integration is up to you,and in the long term something good comes out. It is very hard to integrate an experience that ended bad , and I know it first-hand (in my 4 acid blotters+ayahuasca trip) so please do not underestimate my opinion.

I am glad to discuss it and share my opinions with you though.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive or disrespect your level of experience. My comment was more along the lines of suggesting that self psychotherapy does not work for people that are truely friend because they are contending with neurochemicals issues and not just their own distorted perspectives. I have actually successfully recovered from bad trips via self psycho therapy as well but I don't think its a viable alternative for most people in that predicament.

Yeah I give you some point in that. However I am talking about such an approach before one gets 'fried'. After, it can help too, but it's generally harder.

Indeed it's harder if there's some neurochemical problem too, but even then CBT is used to override such problems.

Further, I do not believe HPPD is something that happens only to those predisposed (who wakes up one day with HPPD after never tripping?).

Noone.At least not DIAGNOSED with HPPD. But to clarify it it would be correct to say that the HPPD criteria (in order for someone to get that nice acronym in his medical file) has as a prerequisite hallucinogen use.

If someone had the exact same symptoms ,but never ever encountered a hallucinogen ,CLINICALLY it could not be diagnosed and labeled as HPPD.

I wonder...Do people with NO contact with hallucinogens develop similar disturbances?

Not that I am aware of, but point taken on the criteria. Although some people without prior use do see tracers, rainbows, etc. They are quite tame compared to HPPD sufferers who also happen to have emotional/mental disturbances acompanying the visuals in most cases.

And before someone else says it, yes HPPD must negatively affect your life to be diagnosed as such. But seriously how could that not be a bad thing if you are at all a rational person? No one wakes up one days as says "hey I wish I would start seeing shit 24/7 to distract me from my life in the real world!" (well okay a few loonies think that way...)

lmfao, I know this is an old post, but it comes up as the very first top google search.
You people are complete fucking morons and know absolutely nothing about everything...

YES you can be Perm Fried, and not just from Acid....
It's different per person, because people are effected differently.

However You can over dose on anything and be fucked for like, The OJ isn't a Myth, because it's Different depending on the trip, and the person...
At a rave this kid raped a girl, and for that they dose a full vial of acid on the kid and he is fucked for life... PERMA FRIED!!!!!!!

You know nothing, and obviously the effects of acid, You're never the same once you do any drug, especially a psychedelic drug... Acid/Shroom will fuck you up, and yes there is a point of no return. What that is, is pretty much unexplainabled. You can't even explain the effects of a drug, because until you do it you cannot even comprehend what the person who has had a trip good or bad is trying to tell you what it is like.

These type of drugs unlock door in your mind, good or bad.. and acid burns a hole in your brain.. especially when abused, intentionally or not.

there's no doubt in my mind that psychedelics can worsen mental illnesses or even cause them if they are abused enough. remember, there are people who develop mental illnesses without ever touching drugs. so why is it hard to believe that a drug user could become mentally ill, whether drugs were the direct cause or not? i have no idea whether there is any bases in reality to orange juice story but to claim that there is zero possibility of of heavy psychedelic drug use impacting someone's mental health is just ignorant in my opinion.

To be honest the ignorance is on the part of those who claim psychedelics cause mental illness. When you look at the figures for schizophrenia for example the rates have remained constant for the last 100 years - despite the enormous increase in psychedelic drug use and particularly pot. You'd think if such drugs actually did have any effect on mental health the rates of schizophrenia would have exploded over the last 40 years.

I've always heard stories revolving around acid and similar psychedelics "permafrying" a person's brain after doing too much either in their lifetime or all at once. For instance, I've heard stories of someone who took waaaay too much lsd (supposedly dropped fifteen hits and then his remaining fifteen while tripping) and is now permanently convinced he is a glass of orange juice for the rest of his life and is terrified to bump into people for fear of getting knocked over and spilling his insides out. And another is of someone who (once again took waaaay too much acid) is "permafried" and pops bubbles in front of his face that no one else can see for the rest of his life. Is there any basis to these stories? Or are these just urban legends spread around to scare people from taking Lucy for a ride? Not that I plan on taking 30 hits, this is jus something that I've been wondering about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legends_about_illegal_drugs

Man permanently thinks he is a glass of orange juice

Another common legend, again dating back to the 1960s, was that a man who took LSD went insane and permanently thought that he was a glass of orange juice. Because of this, he could never bend over, slept upright and didn't make any sudden movements. Alternate versions sometimes have the man think he's a glass of milk or a whole orange. This particular tale is now considered to be unfounded.[12]

lmfao, I know this is an old post, but it comes up as the very first top google search.
You people are complete fucking morons and know absolutely nothing about everything...

However You can over dose on anything and be fucked for like, The OJ isn't a Myth, because it's Different depending on the trip, and the person...
At a rave this kid raped a girl, and for that they dose a full vial of acid on the kid and he is fucked for life... PERMA FRIED!!!!!!!

You know nothing, and obviously the effects of acid, You're never the same once you do any drug, especially a psychedelic drug... Acid/Shroom will fuck you up, and yes there is a point of no return. What that is, is pretty much unexplainabled. You can't even explain the effects of a drug, because until you do it you cannot even comprehend what the person who has had a trip good or bad is trying to tell you what it is like.

These type of drugs unlock door in your mind, good or bad.. and acid burns a hole in your brain.. especially when abused, intentionally or not.

Dat ignorance..

Edit: Damnit, didn't notice the post date..

It works well for the anti-drug people tho. Enough rumor and conjecture mixed with some propaganda works well to instill fear in the masses. I remember talking about acid in one of my classes at college and everyone swore up and down that if you'd taken acid more than 7 times you were declared legally insane or some stupid nonsense.

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was that same old bullshit story, except round my parts we could take 9 hits before becoming clinically insane. Hardcore. ;)

dont tell me you actually believe this stuff. I think the only basis for this is some pretty bad hppd that culturally morphed into bullshit.

try saying that to the gun in Mount Karmel mental hospital here in Malta, who stands in a pot thinking he's a sunflower and wont get out till night time, and he goes nuts when he isn't watered. His friends said he took some lsd before, i dont know how much.

It is possible to go nuts with psychedelics, some people have had a bad trip and not come out of it properly. Its just not likely unless you have an extremely bad trip or something of the sort, like your friend dies in front of you while you're tripping, but some people dont come out of seeing their friend die when they're sober.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, what a classic fail.

Well, if a person has a withdrawn mental problem, such as schizophrenia that hasn't shown itself yet, a psychedelic trip of any sort could cause that mental problem to manifest much more severely. LSD would definitely do the trick, but there are a whole range of other substances that could also induce this.

It really depends on the person and the person's mindset. I think of a psychedelic trip as a temporarily induced psychotic/schizophrenic state, so it makes sense why this would be risky to those who are already prone to psychotic/schizophrenic thought patterns.

lol that glass of oj thing is a myth, except i heard that the guy was running away from the cops and slipped a few sheets down his shirt and got absorbed in his skin =P.....I doubt acid can "permafry" ur brain by taking a big dose....But i heard somewhere that using it many many times over an extended period of time can lead to some sort of psychosis.....? Not sure if this is true tho

Haha, Have you seen SLC punk?

Anyway OP, Its just puritan bullshit. I have seen people taking truly epic amounts of LSD, and they came out just fine.

This is very true - we are a nation deathly afraid of death. Everyone is obsessed with contracting some rare disease like SARS or mad cow disease, or getting a one in a billion anthraxed letter in the mail. With psychedelic users, I've noticed a
large number who think they have Hppd and their lives are ruined (not to slight those actually do have severe, debilitating hppd).

The real problem is a lack of spirituality. If you have a purpose in life, you go out and try to complete it, and if you fail you try again, keep trying until you die - it's really that simple, as simple as loving other people. If you have some kind of affliction, well, join the club.

Happy Easter everyone!

Doesn't HHPD actually effect quite a high percentage of psychedelic users? Not all of it is extreme hppd that people equate with being "permatripping." Probably not very much of it. However to say that most people are just making up the symptoms seems silly.

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was that same old bullshit story, except round my parts we could take 9 hits before becoming clinically insane. Hardcore. ;)

Haha it must be different everywhere it was 10 here!

apparently, people who've done a thumbprint never fully come down. at that point though, you are asking for it.

Ismene, youre simply looking at this wrong. Claiming drugs do not cause mental disorders makes no sense. Thats implying I could spend 10 years of my life IVing heroin, snorting meth and eating LSD, yet not struggle with depression or anxiety if I were to sober up for a long period of time. Do you know what causes schizophrenia? No. No one does. But the functional behaviors of a schizophrenic and someone on a psychedelic trip are not only tied to neurotransmitters and the brain itself, but to perceptions and reactions to an external reality.