• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

A Guide and FAQ: What to do when someone Overdoses (work in progress)

Don't panic

that's good advice. You help everybody that is involved by doing so. An OD is frightening, but it does not have to be lethal if you react promptly, stay calm, and follow these simple steps.

Yea, I dunno man. I tried to post something about how so very real the experience is, how completely shocking it is. I mean I panicked when it happened to me, I was an animal, punching the guy and everything. I tried driving him to the hospital, and then he came to like 15 minutes later.

I wonder if someone read this, would they be able to remember the stuff they read here? I mean seriously, would you be able to think "Okay, I call 911 first, then i move them to a good location, etc etc"? Or you think they'd just flip ape shit and forgot all this? I hope they can remember some of these tips...

At least call 911 first, then you can figure everything out I guess.

I wanted to try and avoid making it a personal account there, so I dunno.

Gonna try to contact my local EMT today. I think that's really the last thing this needs, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

I overdosed on oxycodone and my brother sounded like it was hiccuping in my sleep, who told my mother--she questioned it greatly and found me in my room, dying with pale skin and purple lips (so not my best color), so I was rushed to the ICU. Here I am, vowing never to touch a benzo again. It's been a week and a half.

I just have never been through something so frightening, that I wasn't conscious for. It's all about being in a dark hospital setting once you regain consciousness--

"Do you know where you are?"
"Do you know what happened to you?"
"What's the day of the week?"

TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Yea, I dunno man. I tried to post something about how so very real the experience is, how completely shocking it is. I mean I panicked when it happened to me, I was an animal, punching the guy and everything. I tried driving him to the hospital, and then he came to like 15 minutes later.

It is. Its so scary. Im sure youve all seen the story posted around here by me and my girlfriend about me reviving her from an OD in the backseat of the car. In that situation, I wouldnt have followed any of this advice simply because shes my girlfriend, but if it were one of my idiot friends that were driving, I would definitely follow this.

Good question though. Would I remember it? I think I specifically would because I was involved in the process of making this with you (sort of) but would the average poster in OD? I hope so.

Why wouldn't you follow this if she's your girlfriend?

Perhaps I made this sound too impersonal, and should outline more about steps to do if you feel concerned (ie stay with the body, etc)?

No I have no clue about your story, I'll do a search. I've always considered posting a thread about drug overdose accounts, but I always decided against it because that shit is too personal. I don't know how many of us would like to relive those moments, you know.

oh, i believe it should be emphasized that you have to stay with the person who overdosed untill medical treatment arives.

you just don't walk away after calling 911

I have worked in San Diego as a first responder and as an EMT-P for two years now and everything that is included in this is pretty much good advice.

Only two things to add: Instead of calling an overdose a cardiac emergency (which it could be in the case of a stimulant/SSRI overdose) it would be better to report it as an unresponsive subject that may/may not be breathing.

Also, concerning the dosing of naloxone, some medications (i.e. propoxyphene and pentazocine) in some cases will not even respond to doses of 2-3 mg of naloxone and more may be nessesary. I was on a run where an elderly woman had overdosed on Darvon and ended up requiring 12 mg of naloxone in total.

And, some opiates may not present the common opiate signs of overdose (coma and meiosis, or constriction of the pupils.) Propoxyphene and mepedrine are commonly known to cause dialation of the pupils and seizures.

Other than that its a great guide..

^^ A lot of jerks would just do that, though, for fear of police interaction.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Why wouldn't you follow this if she's your girlfriend?

Perhaps I made this sound too impersonal, and should outline more about steps to do if you feel concerned (ie stay with the body, etc)?

No I have no clue about your story, I'll do a search. I've always considered posting a thread about drug overdose accounts, but I always decided against it because that shit is too personal. I don't know how many of us would like to relive those moments, you know.

I agree.

No, i just couldnt leave someone that I know so well and care about so much, you know? It sounds cheesey, but I would risk legal troubles just to make sure shes ok.

If it was a friend who Im not so close with, then yeah, Im totally in agreeance with you.

JunglistSoldier619 said:
I have worked in San Diego as a first responder and as an EMT-P for two years now and everything that is included in this is pretty much good advice.

Only two things to add: Instead of calling an overdose a cardiac emergency (which it could be in the case of a stimulant/SSRI overdose) it would be better to report it as an unresponsive subject that may/may not be breathing.

Also, concerning the dosing of naloxone, some medications (i.e. propoxyphene and pentazocine) in some cases will not even respond to doses of 2-3 mg of naloxone and more may be nessesary. I was on a run where an elderly woman had overdosed on Darvon and ended up requiring 12 mg of naloxone in total.

And, some opiates may not present the common opiate signs of overdose (coma and meiosis, or constriction of the pupils.) Propoxyphene and mepedrine are commonly known to cause dialation of the pupils and seizures.

Other than that its a great guide..

That is awesome advice. Especially the bolded part. TR, you should consider adding it in.

Okay. So here's what I need to do:

1. Change heart attack to unresponsive subject.

2. Mention that narcan doesn't always work, so call 911 (ie sometimes too hgh a dose needed).

3. More emphasis on staying with the individual.

4. contacting my local EMT office.

SixpartSeven, I mentioned a few times that you can stay with the individual, but I guess I put more emphasis on what to do if you don't want to be there. I dunno, I think those of us like yourself probably don't need this guide as much, and this guide is moreso geared towards those who would rather run than call 911. I don't want to change that emphasis too much, but I'll try to change it around in case you really do care for the person.

rave23 you said don't walk away after calling 911 - what I'm trying to say here is that its better to walk away after calling 911 than not calling 911 at all. And considering that those who overdose are probably dealing with felony situations (ie drugs) and the true fact that police will come to a call of an overdose and will arrest people accordingly in some areas, there is good reason to put out how to keep yourself safe.

TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Okay. So here's what I need to do:

1. Change heart attack to unresponsive subject.

2. Mention that narcan doesn't always work, so call 911 (ie sometimes too hgh a dose needed).

3. More emphasis on staying with the individual.

4. contacting my local EMT office.

SixpartSeven, I mentioned a few times that you can stay with the individual, but I guess I put more emphasis on what to do if you don't want to be there. I dunno, I think those of us like yourself probably don't need this guide as much, and this guide is moreso geared towards those who would rather run than call 911. I don't want to change that emphasis too much, but I'll try to change it around in case you really do care for the person.

rave23 you said don't walk away after calling 911 - what I'm trying to say here is that its better to walk away after calling 911 than not calling 911 at all. And considering that those who overdose are probably dealing with felony situations (ie drugs) and the true fact that police will come to a call of an overdose and will arrest people accordingly in some areas, there is good reason to put out how to keep yourself safe.

Those are all good ideas.

As for the bolded part, you dont have to change anything. This is YOUR FAQ man. Its what YOU think is the best thing to do. No one can decide that for you. If someone disagrees, then they disagree. You cant win em all, right?

But yeah, I agree it is geared more towards the legally conscious. And thats perfectly fine, as a lot of drug users fall in to that category. But as I said, the only time I would stay is if it was my girlfriend. Any of my friends, ill folllow your steps, beacause they arent great friends anyways.

Youre doing a good job with this man. Dont let other peoples opinions on the subject sway you. Take their suggestions for content, but the main focus is YOUR idea. Keep it like that.

indeed, thank you for this knowledge TR, I have a number of friends who are IV Junkies, thats why I won't go near H or needles, but this is very good stuff to know

^ Maybe you can print the final copy out and give it to your uneducated, junkie, friends.

(More or less uneducated junkie friends)...was just making a silly.

^ (keisacheeba) yes it is. you could save their lives one day now that you are educated.

See, BL does save lives.

^^^

That's the reason BL is here for. To save lives, not to make the people living the lives more "high" , "blasted" , "toasted", or otherwise generally "properly buzzed".