• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

A Guide and FAQ: What to do when someone Overdoses (work in progress)

Thats the main focus, it just so happens that the other parts are added benefits. The focus of BL is drug usage in general, not just harm reduction, but also getting the full benefits of recreational drugs.

Thats a common misconception, that we are only about harm reduction. If you dont believe me, Ill show you a quote from the owner of BL saying otherwise.

This is all of topic, so you can IM me if you want to discuss it further.

It's cool 6/7. You know you're my doggy.

Let's not de-rail this any further however...
TR said:
rave23 you said don't walk away after calling 911 - what I'm trying to say here is that its better to walk away after calling 911 than not calling 911 at all. And considering that those who overdose are probably dealing with felony situations (ie drugs) and the true fact that police will come to a call of an overdose and will arrest people accordingly in some areas, there is good reason to put out how to keep yourself safe.
You can be arrested for being around a dying heroin/opiate user, even if you possess no substances?

I figured, so what's the main issue of staying with the person ODing?

I'd imagine you could somehow be manipulated into being arrested even if you have no drugs or paraphenilia..the cops could always think up some excuse. Whether or not it would stand is questionable.

Arrests still suck.

I notice on the topic of overdoses people always say like "stay with the person" or "just call 911!" but real life isn't like that, and the truth is that in many places, cops WILL come when someone overdoses, and they WILL arrest you. More than once I've known people who've overdosed, and while they are dying the cops are searching their room and writing out felony possession charges to the caller and to the victim who they don't even know is going to be alive still.

There's nothing wrong with being concerned for oneself, I wouldn't say you're crazy if you'd rather someone die who killed themselves on their own accord, than cop a felony charge and be in prison for over 5 years and never be able to get a decent job or get into school.

This thread is pointing out that you can save a life, without putting yourself at risk.

While when you call a heart attack/unresponsive cops may not come, there still is the possibility the EMT will call the cops to come, which is why you may not want to be around when they arrive. It's also a good reason why to move them away from where the drugs may be.

If you are really concerned, you can stay with the body, which really is the honest, good thing to do. But if you just can't handle that, you can leave the body where it will be safe, or watch from a distance.

Ah, I got a question.

Someone said that I should write it as a "Unresponsive subject who isn't breathing" instead of a heart attack.

Does "unresponsive subject" get the same priority as a heart attack? I was editing the post when I realized that it may not get the same priority, ie Top Priority. So for now I am going to have to stay with the recommendation that you call in an apparent heart attack.

Also, you aren't saying exactly it's a heart attack, but an apparent one. It'snot like the EMT is going to take your word for it, they always check out the situation for themselves. I also recommended you write "DRUGS" or whatever on their body so they can have a clue when they get there.

edit: hey 6/7 i changed some stuff around, like in the FAQ section, to address those who may be too concerned to simply 'ditch the body'. Another focus of this guide is to make sure that those who are extremely concerned, do not try to drive to the hospital themselves or something foolish like that. Regardless of what you feel, you should always do exactly as outlined (the variation being if you want to stay or not with the body really).

Last edited:
TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Someone said that I should write it as a "Unresponsive subject who isn't breathing" instead of a heart attack.

Does "unresponsive subject" get the same priority as a heart attack?

i would assume someone who isnt breathing would get same priority as a heart attack.. they are both just as critical. the guy who suggested it was an EMT so im pretty sure if anyone here knew what they were talking about when it comes to OD and EMT response, it would be him.. he probably worked through a number of them himself.

I don't know. Heart attack and drug overdose get the same response, I don't know if "unresponsive subject" would be treated the same. I wonder if a heart attack call, and an "unresponsive subject" call, that they would go to the first one.

I'll call the EMT office and ask about that. I called them a bunch of times today but apparently they were busy all day, so I left a message.

its more than just "unresponsive subject", he specifically said to tell them ther person isnt breathing. i cant imagine that someone who is clearly not breathing would get anything less than top priority. plus by telling them its a breathing issue rather than cardiac arrest, they will be more prepared (mentally and equipment wise) to deal with an OD because the breathing is often the most pressing problem with ODs.

Someone who isn't breathing would get top priority.

An OD afflicted member will be certainly rushed to. Fear that not.

its more than just "unresponsive subject", he specifically said to tell them ther person isnt breathing. i cant imagine that someone who is clearly not breathing would get anything less than top priority. plus by telling them its a breathing issue rather than cardiac arrest, they will be more prepared (mentally and equipment wise) to deal with an OD because the breathing is often the most pressing problem with ODs.

Well, they have all equipment on hand, and secondly they don't take your word for it, they check themselves. You tell them its a heart attack, its not like the rush there and starte shocking the gy, they make sure its a heart attack and not a drug overdose or whatever. THey can tell whats goin on.

Im going to keep it at Heart Attack, but I'll call my EMT office and see what gets priority. What I said anyways, was to say its an apparent heart attack and the person is dying.

But the idea that telling them its a heart attack and they are going to be all confused and misled when they get there, i dont think thats realistic.

Thats also why i recommended you write "DRUGS" on their person, or to stay with the body and tell them yourself you suspect foul play.

But ill call the EMT office to confirm it.

center said:
Arrests aren't convictions.

Yeah, but arrests lead to convinctions. And if you think our rights mean anything at all when it comes to drugs, you have a lot to learn. There is a war on drugs, in case you didnt know, and anything will be done to put the "drug terrorists" away.

/political rant

And if you think our rights mean anything at all when it comes to drugs, you have a lot to learn. There is a war on drugs, in case you didnt know, and anything will be done to put the "drug terrorists" away.

Which is why I recommend calling in a heart attack.

Cops do get involved. I personally know people who are in jail because they overdosed. I don't think it's crazy if you'd rather let someone die than get a felony. Which is the reason for the thread - to show that you don't need to face any legal risk at all, and that you can save a life without risking your own.

Heart attacks and unresponsive subjects (where respirations are shallow or are totally absent) are both "code blue."

As a paramedic we use the details of the call to prepare ourselves and our equipment en route. When I respond to a cardiac emergency, especially a heart attack, I prepare myself appropriately (i.e. defibrillator, ECG, etc.). If I were responding to an unresponsive, non-breathing call I would be preparing the ET tubes, getting O2 ready, and as protocol dictates for this type of call, where the cause is unknown, prepping the narcan and diabetes specific medication. The unknown non-breathing calls will ALWAYS get a dose of Narcan if the EMT does not know the cause of the lack of respirations. Although if it is a stimulant overdose, then it may be smart to call it in as a heart attack cause these are very similar.

Good job on the guide.