• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

oxymorphone vs hydromorphone vs oxycodone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebobjohn

Bluelighter
Hey all, I'm wondering what gives the best pain relief AND calming/soothing/warming/"euphoric" effect of the three medicines when taken ORALLY.
Are hydromorphone (dillaudid) and oxymorphone (opana) as good as oxycodone, given that their oral bioavailability is so much less (I think)?

If you could have pain medicine to either help with you pain and/or to get high on (BUT only orally - no snorting), which of the three would you want?

It all depends on the method of administration you use. If you IV hydromorphone has the best rush, many think it's better then heroin. Oxmorphone has such a low bioavailabilty (~10% oral) it's not as good and I here that it gels up if you try to shoot/snort. Oxycodone has the best oral bioavailability out of all of them, and IV is great. Orally the best pain killer is oxycodone if you were to IV, IMO, hydromorphone would be the best (never IVed oxymorphone and other methods weren't as good as IV hydromorphone).

EDIT: just read you only wanted orally, I'd say oxycodone for sure.

i agree with mukant if youre not going to IV or insufflate oral Oxycodone is the best choice out of all three due to its splendid oral bioavailability.

But i enjoy natural opiates more than synthetic ones so morphine/heroin are my personal faves, even though heroin is technically semi-synthetic but thats a grey area since heroin is simply a morphine delivery system. Morphine bioavailability is decent, however heroin BA is very low and is completely converted to morphine in vivo so you cant take advantage of its greater lipophilia.

Hope this was helpful.

of the 3, hydromorphone.

oxycodone sucks balls (hydrocodone is better for both pain relief and a kick ass euphoria) and oxymorphone is probably the most overrated narcotic of all (hydromorphone rocks oxymorphone in everyway, pain relief and euphoria).

I also prefer morphine and heroin to all. something about the morphine that just feels so fucking good.

after heroin/morphine, come hydrocodone/hydromorphone.

well this is a post on oxymorphone, so just wait for "bigpoppadouche32" or whatever his name is to pop in here and type in all caps about eating a high fat meal and getting 1000% (yes, 1000 percent) bioavailability.

Arsteraad said:
even though heroin is technically semi-synthetic but thats a grey area since heroin is simply a morphine delivery system.

arent all opoids (at least the morphine based ones like hydromorphone, oxymorphone, diamorphine) essentially "morphine delivery systems" under this defintion? they all metabolize into morphine, but the highs are all drastically different.

no. only heroin and codeine metabolize into morphine.
anything that starts with hydro or oxy and/or ends with -one, metabolizes into something similar, but different to morphine.
but thats irrelevant because the 'codone' parent compounds have activity before being metabolized anyway.
so, no.

I am oxycodone addict all the way. I have been addicted to all you mention, but something about that speedy oxy high is just for me.

A few things have been overlooked in some of the responses.

1. Posts are indicating that Opana would not be a good choice. Most people always are thinking Opana ER (extended release), since that is by far the most commonly scripted form of oxymorphone in the US. However, I would be very confident in saying that if you were to get Opana IR (immediate release), a much more rarely seen animal, you would likely have the the best pain killer/high for ORAL useage. I would easily bet on that in double blind testing.
So, if you can find a doc to get your that. You are sitting pretty.

2. Since this whole thing hinges on the fact that you will be eating the drug. Oxycodone is likely the next choice. Roxi, which does not have APAP, gives you more options, if you decide to go beyond oral admin.

3. You left out Hydrocodone, likely thinking its just not strong enough. Well, if you have a low tolerance, hydro is top notch analgesic for oral administration. Its the only opiate I will consider no other way of taking except orally. Its really not a bad choice, its cheap, and relatively easier to kick from. Very solid choice for oral admin opiate.

Doesn't heroin also get converted to 6-acetyl-morphine? Is this drug active?

I haven't had hydromorphone or oxymorphone, but comparing oxycodone to morphine i would say:

Oxycodone causes more pain relief for the amount of euphoria
Oxycodone is mildly stimulating in contrast to morphine
Morphine has better overall euphoria, but I possibly haven't had enough oxycodone to judge for sure
Hydrocodone is one of my least favorite and makes me feel drowsy and morbid

^^hes asking for the best out of the 3 for oral admin.

1.oxycodone
2.oxymorphone
3.hydromorphone

just due to the bioavailability of oxy it's def. the winner. hydromorphone and oxymorphone should never be eaten first cause they suck when eaten and second cause you are wasting a wonderfully I.V'able drug. oh and oxy should never be I.V.'d (only eaten and snorted) due to the fact that you can obtain just as good if not a better high from eating/snorting. just my $0.02.

of the 3, hydromorphone.

oxycodone sucks balls (hydrocodone is better for both pain relief and a kick ass euphoria) and oxymorphone is probably the most overrated narcotic of all (hydromorphone rocks oxymorphone in everyway, pain relief and euphoria).

I also prefer morphine and heroin to all. something about the morphine that just feels so fucking good.

after heroin/morphine, come hydrocodone/hydromorphone.

Dude you are an idiot if you thing hydrocodone is better then oxycodone! I get percocet and my sister get the norco, they dont do shit for euphoria or pain relief. Hydrocodone is one step above codein which aint bad but you need about 1000 mg to even feel like you have taken it. I will agree that hydrocodone is better then nothing but it just DOES NOT compare to oxycodone no way. You are probably one of those guys that still get relief from vicodin 5/500...lol...

Hey all, I'm wondering what gives the best pain relief AND calming/soothing/warming/"euphoric" effect of the three medicines when taken ORALLY.
Are hydromorphone (dillaudid) and oxymorphone (opana) as good as oxycodone, given that their oral bioavailability is so much less (I think)?

If you could have pain medicine to either help with you pain and/or to get high on (BUT only orally - no snorting), which of the three would you want?

They are all good if you take enough, but be careful, if you take to much you may have serious problems. I had the dilaudid a long time ago and it is good, the oxycodone breaks down into oxymorphone in your liver so it is basically like taking it. Heroin breaks down to morphine in your liver so it is similiar as well. Hydrocodone breaks down to??? I will have to find out huh.. The guy who said oxycodone sucks and hydrocodone is way better is an idiot and really has no clue what he is talking about, I am sure you know what is better between the two!

A few things have been overlooked in some of the responses.

1. Posts are indicating that Opana would not be a good choice. Most people always are thinking Opana ER (extended release), since that is by far the most commonly scripted form of oxymorphone in the US. However, I would be very confident in saying that if you were to get Opana IR (immediate release), a much more rarely seen animal, you would likely have the the best pain killer/high for ORAL useage. I would easily bet on that in double blind testing.
So, if you can find a doc to get your that. You are sitting pretty.

2. Since this whole thing hinges on the fact that you will be eating the drug. Oxycodone is likely the next choice. Roxi, which does not have APAP, gives you more options, if you decide to go beyond oral admin.

3. You left out Hydrocodone, likely thinking its just not strong enough. Well, if you have a low tolerance, hydro is top notch analgesic for oral administration. Its the only opiate I will consider no other way of taking except orally. Its really not a bad choice, its cheap, and relatively easier to kick from. Very solid choice for oral admin opiate.

I agree that the hydrocodone is great for those not used to or tolerant to meds. I also agree that it is alot easier to get off of and not fee like you are dying. I had to change to oxycodone because I was taking so much hydrocodone and didnt even feel it or get any relief at all. After taking the percocet for 6 months, I went to the dentist and ahd wisdom teeth pulled, he gave me 10 norco 10/325 I took them all and called the next day needing more..lol.. the dentist said that is hydrocodone what is your problem, I just said I am in pain. So he called me in 10 more which I ate in about 8 hours, I was still in alot of pain the next day so I went for a follow up at the dentist, he was freaking out on me about taking all those pills, But he knew my wisdom teeth were bad because I am 29 and they have been there for years. He still freaked out though so I just left.

no. only heroin and codeine metabolize into morphine.
anything that starts with hydro or oxy and/or ends with -one, metabolizes into something similar, but different to morphine.
but thats irrelevant because the 'codone' parent compounds have activity before being metabolized anyway.
so, no.

Oxycodone breaks down to oxymorphone; codeine and all other extracts that come directly from opium poppy break down to morphine in the liver/body. The body has it's own process of making things better. All synthetics have their own conversions that I am not familiar with but I am going to check it out tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here's all the information about the different opiates:

Oxycodone is active it self and metabolizes into Oxymorphone

Hydrocodone is not active and metabolizes into Hydromorphone

Codeine and Diacetylmorphine (Heroin) metabolize into Morphine

So people who don't like hydrocodone and like hydromorphone are
basically getting a much higher dose and a rush from IV hydromorphone
the chemicals end up the same. If you take hydromorphone orally its really
the exact same high as hydrocodone.

About oxymorphone, not all pills jell up when mixed with water, and many
people believe oxymorphone has the best high when taken IV (or at least equal to heroin).
Oxymorphone also has a much lower histamine response than morphine based opiates so there is much less itching and flushing of the face and skin(which is something to consider if your taking these all the time or at high doses).

If you strictly were taking it orally and you had a big enough dose of oxymorphone it would be better than oral oxycodone, just you'd lose a lot more in the liver. Taking hydromorphone
orally would be exactly like taking a lot of hydrocodone orally.

Its really up to personal preference which opioid you like best but the euphoria of oxymorphone is easily up there with diacetylmorphine.

Hope that helps.

only a tiny tiny percentage

Oxycodone breaks down to oxymorphone; codeine and all other extracts that come directly from opium poppy break down to morphine in the liver/body. The body has it's own process of making things better. All synthetics have their own conversions that I am not familiar with but I am going to check it out tonight.

Like the post above mine states, some oxycodone metabolizes into oxymorphone but not the majority of it and most of the effects are due to oxycodone itself.

Also, not all the 'extracts' from the poppy plant convert into morphine. Papaverine, thebaine and noscapine certainly aren't pro-drugs for morphine, though thebaine is a pro-drug for oripavine I believe. In fact, only one alkaloid from the plant is converted into morphine your liver; codeine.

mmmCHRISx said:

only a tiny tiny percentage

For a single dose, on average around 15% of oxycodone is converted into oxymorphone but as this study looks at, long term patients may have higher serum levels.

^ Probably to look smart. That didn't work out too well though.

And he quadruple posted as well! Time to wield some power around here and use that merge button...

ETA: Ouch, that sure put a dint in his post count.

Status
Not open for further replies.