Is low-dose OTC codeine available in some US states?

No, but if you are lucky maybe you could find a pharmacist who will sell you codeine cough syrup since you dont need a prescription to get it.

sixpartseven said:
No, but if you are lucky maybe you could find a pharmacist who will sell you codeine cough syrup since you dont need a prescription to get it.

You don't need a prescription to get schedule 5 drugs?

If your next door neighbor is a pharmacist, then sure, I guess. If he will do it for you.

Im not going to discuss it any further. Do your own research on it if want. I feel like Im helping you guys scam pharmacys, and I dont want to do that.

I'm quite sure he would allow me to buy some. After all he does know about me overdosing and going to rehab. I just thought it was surprising to know that you can buy codeine without a prescription here.

sixpartseven said:

I don't follow, could I walk up to the pharmacy section of a local supermarket and politely request it without them freaking out? There's a slim chance that the pharmacist might just be like "sure" and then sell me the bottle of lean?

Slim is an over statement, but in theory, yes you could do that. Id count on them freaking out and refusing it, though.

http://www.dhss.mo.gov/BNDD/PseudoephedrineFAQs.html#8 the main focus of this page is on ephedrine containing cough syrups but it still applies to all Schedule V drugs.

Will I have to have a prescription to purchase the schedule V products?
No. Consumers may purchase OTC pseudoephedrine and multi-ingredient ephedrine products that are schedule V controlled substances without a prescription.

http://drugs.about.com/od/buyingdrugs/a/buycontrsubst_2.htm for this one read down towards the bottom under the "Schedule V" section.

Schedule V: These are the only controlled substances that are sometimes available without a prescription. However, the buyer may be required to prove his/her age over 18, and sign a register before purchasing. Cough medicines with codeine are examples of Schedule V drugs.

I should also point out, it depends on that state you are in. Schedule V drugs are not federally controlled (well, technically they are, but keep reading) rather the way they are sold is dependent on state regulations. If the state you are in says you need a prescription, then youll need a prescription, but as far as I remember, most states dont say that.

Last edited:
working in a pharmacy i could tell you almost any pharmacist wouldn't do that, people come in with scripts for codeine syrups so most consider a prescription neccessary

Yes it actually is. I live in Georgia and I know of one pharmacy that sells a cough syrup with codeine. You have to sign a log and can't buy more than one in 5 days. I believe its called D R or Something R. But yes it is available but its full of other shit that makes it barely worth it seriously.

I have heard reports of people being able to get it in the U.S. OTC. I think it depends on the state and even the county you're living in. In most states you can't get codeine OTC. Sixpartseven is right.

what about lyrica? i see free samples of it given away but i doubt any pharmacist would sell it

Yes, lyrica falls under the same category. Just look up Schedule V drugs. Any drug under that scheduling has the same policy attached to it. Most pharmacists will still not sell you any schedule V drug without a prescription.

That's not entirely true. A CV drug MAY BE sold without a prescription, but only if the FDA has approved an OTC version of the drug.

They can't sell any CV drug they want unless there's a CV, OTC prep available.

^ Than why are codeine formulations allowed to be sold without a prescription? There is no OTC codeine product in the US.

I cant find the link at the moment, I will in the morning, but it says something along the lines of codeine with either promethazine or chlorphenermine (sp?) are the only codeine formulations that can be sold without a prescription. Codeine alone in the syrup cannot be sold without one, but as long as it is in combination with another drug (one of the ones i listed, and a few others) than it can be.