Is low-dose OTC codeine available in some US states?

I'm quite sure he would allow me to buy some. After all he does know about me overdosing and going to rehab. I just thought it was surprising to know that you can buy codeine without a prescription here.

Your neighbor is a pharmacist who knows that you've previously had a drug problem and even OD'd, and you think he'd sell you codeine?

That doesn't sound like a very responsible pharmacist to me.

Seriously, come to Oz sometime! All the codeine you want, OTC. I've just had some in fact, very nice stuff.

Then again, we can't get things like Kratom and Salvia Divinorum...

i live in NC and i've bought codiene cough syrup over the counter before. just like regular codeine syrup with an antihistamine

wiggi said:
I'm quite sure he would allow me to buy some. After all he does know about me overdosing and going to rehab.

Yeah, that always increases my chances of getting narcotics. And they especially love it when I tell them I'm suicidal as well 8)

johanneschimpo said:
Yeah, that always increases my chances of getting narcotics. And they especially love it when I tell them I'm suicidal as well 8)

QFLOL

sixpartseven said:
^ Nope. Good luck finding a pharmacist to sell them to you though.

i dont understand, if you dont need a prescription, why do you have to get it from the pharmacist? it seems they should just make up their mind, either require a prescription or make it OTC... as you describe it it sounds like some quasi-OTC but still controlled medication.

im not trying to scam a pharmacy i have no interest in codeine im just interested in the law. just ignore this if its breaking any rules or anything.

sixpartseven said:
Yes, lyrica falls under the same category. Just look up Schedule V drugs. Any drug under that scheduling has the same policy attached to it. Most pharmacists will still not sell you any schedule V drug without a prescription.

Is ephedrine (Bronk-Aid) Schedule V if you have to sign a register? If they sell that will they sell codeine syrups or Tylenol 1?

Nik Dynosaur said:
i live in NC and i've bought codiene cough syrup over the counter before. just like regular codeine syrup with an antihistamine
I live in NC and have bought codeine syrup (10 mg. per teaspoon) without a script. The last attempt several years ago was a multi -pharmacy quest without success. Most of the pharmacists told me they chose NOT to sell without a script as it "draws a bad crowd to my store". (Couldn't just say "not available -- had to let me know they COULD sell it, but chose not to sell to me.)

I live in VA and I know of two pharmacies that sell OTC codeine cough syrup. You can't buy a bottle more than once every 48 hours. So far ive bout 4 bottles in the last 8 days. They are starting to get onto me so I am going to lay low for a little while :(

The cough syrups contain 100mg gaufinesin/10mg codeine per 5ml and have 115mL in the bottle. Last couple times ive gone into the pharmacies they have given me a little grief, but I walked out of the store with my bottle, tipped it, and had a happy day.

The bottles cost 16$ and you cannot get them at any chain pharmacies, only independently owned pharmacies, even some of those refuse to sell it without an rx. I am lucky enough to know of 2 that do.

I had to unapprove some posts. Don't give advice on how to con a pharmacist into scoring codeine. This board isn't around for that. I've allowed this thread to stay here even though it's a regional question. I think I will shift this over to NSADD now.

-> North and South American Drug Discussion

Can't you get low dose codeine pain tabs like Tylenol #1s and do an extraction?

sly.gif

If it's anything like the other phenothiazine I've tried (a cat tranquilizer) I doubt if I'd agree. I've read that some people can't metabolize codeine to morphine though, and others are especially good metabolizers due to having multiple copies of the enzyme.

bupropion said:
sly.gif

If it's anything like the other phenothiazine I've tried (a cat tranquilizer) I doubt if I'd agree. I've read that some people can't metabolize codeine to morphine though, and others are especially good metabolizers due to having multiple copies of the enzyme.

If you are refering to Promethazine, it is not a phenothiazine. Its an anti-histamine.

I think it still has about 1/10th the antidopaminergic effects of chlorpromazine (relative to antihistamine effects).

chinacat311 said:
i dont understand, if you dont need a prescription, why do you have to get it from the pharmacist? it seems they should just make up their mind, either require a prescription or make it OTC... as you describe it it sounds like some quasi-OTC but still controlled medication.

im not trying to scam a pharmacy i have no interest in codeine im just interested in the law. just ignore this if its breaking any rules or anything.

you probly have to show id for it, like buying needles in my state, you have to ask the pharmacist and show id, even though you dont need a prescription and its considered OTC

^ yep, and sign a registry so they can keep track of who is buying and how much/how often they are buying it. Its highly regulated, IF you are even lucky enough to find a pharmacist who will do it.