Info Donations Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not dissing the art at all, there actually seems to be quite a wide selection, but maybe we could make even more, with cool murals and more detailed work and stuff like that. I mean, I don't want to take a bite out of frizz's business or anything, but if BL needs funds, it could really use proceeds from merch. sales, and could help boost total sales by advertising on the board.

there could also be some kewl drug/rave/counterculture-related stuff, rather than just BL logos. Sort of expanding the product line a bit.

Seems simple to me. For those that want to donate now, they can. For those that want more information before they decide whether to donate or not, they will get it when it can be given. For those wanting a different way to donate, these ways are coming. For those that don't want to donate, continue as usual.

Ill donate a larger amount if i can have an ol' BL lightbulb T !

hehe just pm me and I will run to paypal!

xox.

I <3 BL and will do what I can do help.

*kiss*

L2R said:
there already is one

http://www.cafepress.com/unofficialbl

frizz & admin, any chance this baby can become an official fundraising source?

Already talked to friz about it usurping what he set up, and he's fine with that. We just need to work on getting our side of things set up (that damn time element again ;) Where's a magic genie when you need one?)

my thoughts

i don't think that small red donate word atop the page gets much attention, the staff should send all BL members a private message explaining the situation Bluelight is in ( more will read it . )
Explain that no contribution is too small but it has to be a continuing effort in order to keep Bluelight up and running. One time donations are good, but monthly or bi-monthy contributions
of even five or ten dollars are just fine.

Appoint two or three people just like you have moderators to keep track of funds and operating costs and send out a news letter to members every two months keeping everyone up to date with the current operations of fund raising and when Bluelight will be down for maintenance and looking for new moderators etc.

As for tags I suggest something as simple as put in their ( public profile ) 2008 donor -2009 donor etc.

As alot of younger people don't have a credit card but would like to send money could just as easy drop in a 7-11 and get a money order but the pain in the ass is getting in line at the post office to mail the envelope to a different country, have a Bluelight member in the Untied States act as a central mail drop off and every 10 or 14 days could send all the checks and money orders at once to Bluelight headquarters ( where ever that is ) . sorry to waste your time but it just an idea....

Winding Vines said:
Ill donate a larger amount if i can have an ol' BL lightbulb T !

hehe just pm me and I will run to paypal!

xox.

I <3 BL and will do what I can do help.

*kiss*

SEE?!?!?!

I told you so.

pennywise said:
I'd like to once again float the idea of eventually offering some "gifts" for donating like they do with NPR. For instance, donate any amount over $30 and get a T-shirt (if you want one). If you can make the t-shirts for $5 a piece, then you still get $25 donated, and a lot more people will donate just because they want the shirt. Like I said, there are lots of people on this site that have the skills and creativity to come up with some badass shirt designs, and prob. some people who have the business and manufacturing connections to get the shirts made and people who would volunteer to get them shipped.

I know you couldn't do something like this until you raised enough money to get it started, but it's an idea for down the road. NPR and other people raising money do it, so it must work.

It doesn't have to be limited to shirts either. There are other options too.

People like to have something to remind them of their donation (not a fault, just the way people are) and would be a lot more likely to donate (there's no real link betwwen the gift & the product. I happily gave £40 to Erowid for a mug that would be lucky if it cost more than a quid to manufacture (probably less than that). Also like it because it's a 600ml mug -biggest I've ever seen that wasn't a novelty one (waits for the mug envy posts due to personal inadequacy to start!)

Some really good suggestions being added here. Thank you, everyone!

Winding Vines, I'm really attached to that old logo as well. I have it saved in several sizes on an old hard drive in the hopes that it might end up on one of my T-shirts some day too. I can chat to frizz or whoever may be taking over that channel to see how feasible it is to revive that bulb. :)

Mazey said:
my thoughts

i don't think that small red donate word atop the page gets much attention, the staff should send all BL members a private message explaining the situation Bluelight is in ( more will read it . )
Explain that no contribution is too small but it has to be a continuing effort in order to keep Bluelight up and running. One time donations are good, but monthly or bi-monthy contributions
of even five or ten dollars are just fine.

Appoint two or three people just like you have moderators to keep track of funds and operating costs and send out a news letter to members every two months keeping everyone up to date with the current operations of fund raising and when Bluelight will be down for maintenance and looking for new moderators etc.

As for tags I suggest something as simple as put in their ( public profile ) 2008 donor -2009 donor etc.

As alot of younger people don't have a credit card but would like to send money could just as easy drop in a 7-11 and get a money order but the pain in the ass is getting in line at the post office to mail the envelope to a different country, have a Bluelight member in the Untied States act as a central mail drop off and every 10 or 14 days could send all the checks and money orders at once to Bluelight headquarters ( where ever that is ) . sorry to waste your time but it just an idea....

quit wasting our time and go back to your cage!

nah, seriously, those are all superb suggestions. cheers mazey:)

can a personal check be sent to the australia address? and if so, it would be a U.S. check, so would I need to take euro conversion into account?

^better to western union transfer imo
not as many fees and charges

methinks the problem lies in the bank or person getting the check. international banks would we wary of them, and fees and a lengthy time for ensuring the funds ensue.

Personal checks, sent internationally, are a royal pain in the ass. They charge fees to convert the funds and sometimes also a commission based on a percentage and it can take a month for it to go through. It's better to send an international money order, it's much much easier and cheaper. You can get them at the post office in the US, probably in other countries as well.

I will donate as soon as I get my economic stimulus $$ from the government. Sorry I can't afford to right now.

I know cash in the mail is not a great idea generally, but how bad an idea is cold hard currency in the INTERNATIONAL mail, properly concealed?

it's a bad idea because if it goes missing, there's no way to get it back.

alasdair

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but what about direct debit into a bank account? Particularly for Australians into jb's account?

^^The donation page has been updated with a street address to mail things within Aus, and a separate paypal has been made for those concerned about 'bluelight' showing up on their statements. Not really answering your question, but leading up to it, bear with me. The secondary paypal addy is the parent entity that owns enlighten, bl, and pr.com and is known as abaasy - I believe jb is working on getting abaasy's account info available for exactly your request - direct deposits. I don't think he's got it ready, but it's being worked on.

I must also apologise for the delay in adding the progress bar. We're just waiting for some final info before that goes up. Thanks in advance for your patience, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.