Info Donations Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the ribbon for xtcxtc for donations. It's a pleasant recognition of who has kept BL alive and who will keep BL alive. Also it's a nice reminder of the person he was and what he stood for.

Terrible time for USD to EU conversion right now. And don't see it getting any better. Matter of fact just read on another forum that some NYC merchants are beginning to accept Euros.

Currently as of this post;
1 EUR = 1.54622 USD

A couple more options which will eventually be added to the main "donate" page, but which we thought we'd post here for now for others to take advantage.

For those who expressed concern over seeing "bluelight.ru" on their receipts, the following additional Paypal email address has been set up: [email protected] . While being directly connected to the site, it should prove generic enough for those with the aforementioned concerns.

For those with reservations against all things Paypal, a Moneybookers account has also been set up: [email protected]

Thank you. :)

^ if people use a credit or debit card to donate to that address, what will it show up as on their bank statement? :)

Abaasy, if I'm not mistaken. johnboy can confirm when he passes by.

johnboy said:
Oh and we're not prepared to debate the technical side of things. We are hosted in the way we are for very good reasons. Enough said.

That's what I was thinking. While I could understand some people wanting to know specific figures and how their money is going to be spent, I don't see debating over technical decisions such as server and hosting questions as constructive or worthy of time or energy. I'm sure that those running the technical and financial side of things have considered all their options and found the best and most cost-effective solution. I trust that they are smart people who know what they are doing, and have considered all options. They would have to be, considering how long and how well the site has been run.

As far as I am concerned (for the little it is worth) they all have my complete trust as well as respect. Just tell me what we need and I will do the best I can to help out.

pullstring said:
disagree.

For the most part (or better part) of this community i see it maybe being like "wow, look all these people donated,maybe we can make the difference"

as for a tag....I nominate that we put the ribbon in honor of xtcxtc

I like this better.

I was just offering a different insight, tbh. I don't think that personally, but many people might.

There's a difference between moderators/admin./etc. and people who donate to the site.

GenericMind said:
Reading journals or viewing the gallery could be a paid feature.

I agree with this. Though I don't use this site for journaling or gallery, many people do. Many journal sites or the likes offer paid accounts (something like $10 a year) for upgrades such as a gallery.

I seem to remember Alan mentioning once, the possibility of charging people for additional gallery space.

pennywise said:
I'd like to once again float the idea of eventually offering some "gifts" for donating like they do with NPR. For instance, donate any amount over $30 and get a T-shirt (if you want one). If you can make the t-shirts for $5 a piece, then you still get $25 donated, and a lot more people will donate just because they want the shirt. Like I said, there are lots of people on this site that have the skills and creativity to come up with some badass shirt designs, and prob. some people who have the business and manufacturing connections to get the shirts made and people who would volunteer to get them shipped.

I know you couldn't do something like this until you raised enough money to get it started, but it's an idea for down the road. NPR and other people raising money do it, so it must work.

It doesn't have to be limited to shirts either. There are other options too.

Erowid does the exact same thing -- I wouldn't mind seeing this done at BL.

^ That and some advertising. If you could get some people pay to advertise their products on here. Legal (grey-area in places) advertisers. Stuff like lab equipment or something. Would fit the harm reduction philosophy as people would be able to handle/process their drugs safely at least.

Some of the bodybuilding websites have hook ups for filters and such for cheap (as well as a lot of other interesting trinkets). Just an idea. Maybe someone knows other sponsers. Another avenue to take is some select nutritional supplements or something of that nature.

A combination of donations and a couple of advertisers may be a way to sustain and perhaps grow.

I'd have to say I'm against allowing any type of business dealing in paraphenalia or lab equipment to advertise here.

Oh and we're not prepared to debate the technical side of things.

Then forget the technical matters.

I'm curious what you plan to do with any funds received above and beyond the costs of hosting.

I'm curious whether this is a real non-profit operation (in the sense of having some sort of oversight/accountability.)

These are both perfectly valid, relevant questions in my opinion.

Well, DEA, it really depends upon how much we get. Your assuming we'll get more than we need :\ If we get less than we need, we cut things if required. If we get more than we need, we can explore opportunities for growth and hell, maybe even put it out to the public on which project to focus on with the money....unless we decide to keep it in the coffers should we ever actually land ourselves in any kind of legal trouble and need lawyers, because you know everyone's going to stick around in a situation like that and throw money to us :\ Maybe hang onto it in case the next month or year we don't get as many donations? Maybe that would make more sense? Maybe we ought to hold off on that question until it becomes a reality? Maybe that makes the most sense?

Are we real non-profit or just pretend? johnboy has answered that one back in post #36. He's answering as honestly as he can, and he's the man in position to know the truth. But I'll re-iterate a comment I made elsewhere and jb has said himself - we need to remain as transparent as possible, it does us no good to be secretive about our operations.

And, I will apologize if my tone is surly - I'm having a shitty day and you don't deserve snarky remarks. Sorry.

Is there a way to be updated on how much is needed and how much has been donated thus far? I think thats fair to ask so we be given some figures if donations are wanted for something that is not yet an established non-profit.

FFS. Read post #36.

If you need a shorter version: There is no final figure as to what we need and if you cannot deal with that then do not donate.

Every moment we spend in here defending ourselves takes time away from actually getting it all done, and also demoralises us as to why we are bothering in the first place.

I don't see the big deal in needing to know exactly how each dollar is going to be spent. How much of your money are you really planning on investing in a donation? $20? $50? Unless it's a whole hell of a lot, it doesn't seem like it really matters. Hell, I enjoy using BL enough that I would donate something even if I knew it was going to be spent by the owner and tech people on crack and whores. It's not really a huge deal.

Just donate your few $$$'s, I doubt its going to be all that much anyway, and trust that it is going to be spent on necessary stuff. Even if it wasn't...oh well, you threw away a few bucks. How many people spend $500 on a treadmill and then use it as a clothes rack, you know? :\

johnboy said:
FFS. Read post #36.

If you need a shorter version: There is no final figure as to what we need and if you cannot deal with that then do not donate.

Every moment we spend in here defending ourselves takes time away from actually getting it all done, and also demoralises us as to why we are bothering in the first place.

I wouldn't call people wanting some accountability of where their money is going to be attacking you. If you cannot deal with those types of questions you probably shouldn't be asking for money in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
pennywise said:
I don't see the big deal in needing to know exactly how each dollar is going to be spent. How much of your money are you really planning on investing in a donation? $20? $50? Unless it's a whole hell of a lot, it doesn't seem like it really matters. Hell, I enjoy using BL enough that I would donate something even if I knew it was going to be spent by the owner and tech people on crack and whores. It's not really a huge deal.

Just donate your few $$$'s, I doubt its going to be all that much anyway, and trust that it is going to be spent on necessary stuff. Even if it wasn't...oh well, you threw away a few bucks. How many people spend $500 on a treadmill and then use it as a clothes rack, you know? :\

____________Just my opinion owners need not waste time reading________

But honestly i think people are more enthusiastic about donating if they truly know that their money is making a difference. Granted most people prolly trust the owners here its just more motivational to know the exact amount of help a person has provided.

But for me i came here and had a mod close my topic and give me no explanation ( it wasnt an offensive topic and i just didnt know where to look to find out why it was closed). Newbies aren't to inclined to help a machine that operates like that. He should have seen i was new and pm'd me or something about the closure.

DG, a progress bar is one of the features which has already been brought to the table for future development,thanks. We have no ETA on any of the list of features we would like to incorporate at this time.

We appreciate the suggestions - and I'd like to stress that word "suggestions", in contrast to weighted questions which really don't offer any help to get this project off the ground at this early stage. Let's try to keep in mind that the name of the game at the moment is survival and the people best up to making that happen are those who have been keeping us running all along. Thanks.

Thank you SA. A progress bar at least is something.

Johnboy- I understand you are in a position of strong need however some of your posts within this thread are a little unfriendly. I dont think my question or some other peoples have been that out of line. The type of response you seem to be giving is turning off myself and a few others I have spoken to. As far as this thread...I thought this was a discussion thread (the title sure implies that). I personally donated to a few various things in the last few months and learned of misuse of the money after the fact so I am more skeptical due to that. Im not saying you or anyone else here has malicious intentions fyi.

i've been enjoying the benefits of this website for free for several years now, so i don't see any reason *not* to throw a donation towards the cause. i also don't need a full accounting of how my relatively small sum is allocated. people who want something for nothing will always soil discussions like these with excuses and demands. reasonable suggestions (like anonymous donation) should of course be explored, but in the interest of getting shit done it's probably best to ignore the rest of the quibbling.

if the financial situation warrants it, i agree that community areas like the gallery and journal should be paid services. the harm reduction forums carry the real message here, and those should be preserved first and foremost. everything else is a luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.