• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has weed fucked you/anyone you know up?

CalmG

Bluelighter
Was inspired to make this thread after seeing one about the positive effects of smoking ganja.

For me, the effects of smoking ganja have been anything but positive, although this is partly my own fault. I first started smoking when I was 14, and completely loved it for all the reasons most smokers love it. When I turned 16, I started to realise I was gay, and being from a homophobic area with a semi-homophobic family went into denial big time. I used to be an outgoing, really popular fun loving person. Whilst I smoked weed during my denial period, I would sit in my room and talk to myself non stop for 1/4 of an hour, 1/2 and hour at a time to see if my voice was gay or not. When I was stoned, I would monitor the way I walked to see if the way I walked was gay or not. I started having panic attacks, like I was sat in this car and had to make up some bullshit excuse to leave cos I was so anxious.

Stupidly I carried on smoking weed anyway despite hating it, and the result is I have gone from this funny, popular fun loving guy into this socially anxious mess with absoutly no confidence, who over analyises everything and has none of the spark I used to have. I should have stopped smoking, yeah, but didn't take the mental health warnings seriously. The other day I was stoned, I had two voices in my head, couldn't indentify which was really me, nearly had a panic attack, and only calmed down when I stuck an imaginary badge with 'I am crazy' over my thoughts.

I have seen it effect other people too. With one guy, he was intelligent and really charismatic, but got so hooked on weed he started missing college big time, left with no grades, and started stealing vinyls to pay for weed. Of course this could be down to his personality, bu still means weed can effect some people badly. Another guy went completely fucked because of drugs, he actually is crazy, like, you can tell something is wrong with him the way he talks and everything, its werid.

So yeah anyone else been fucked over/know people who have by weed? Moderation is key and some people won't have any problems I think, but for some it's real bad, whether it's for mental reason or for the social consequences of smoking it. It certainly isn't harmless, not for everyone.

I would consider a few friends of mind weed addicts, and when I say that I mean they actually fiend for the stuff...It's like just hanging out and doing whatever isn't good enough for them unless there's weed and if there's not then they'll just go home. It's pretty sad because I just don't understand how getting high is more important than hanging out with your friends and having fun. They'll also drive around for hours doing absolutely nothing just so they can have a place to smoke because none of them have any place to go. One friend in particular is also very hostile and irritable unless he's stoned, and to top it off he almost never pays for it so it makes hanging out with him a huge drag. He didn't used to be like that either, he's been a good friend of mine for a while. Recently though, I've noticed how incredibly self-centered and obnoxious he is, and I really haven't seen him since I personally took a break from smoking. Another friend of mine who wasn't too close but who I've known for quite a while was sent to in-patient rehab for about a year by his parents. This kid wasn't as bad as the other kids I mentioned, but he was certainly a fiend just like them, had to get high every day no matter what. I think the allure to smoking weed every day is that it's "safe and harmless" compared to hard drugs, but in reality you can get addicted without even knowing it. I'm sure if you asked the kids I'm talking about if they're addicted, they would say quite the opposite.

So yes, to answer your question, I have seen quite a few of my friends get fucked up from weed. I'd like to say that I'm not fucked up from weed, but it really has brought out a lot of anxiety/paranoia in me and that's why I've chosen to take a break. Like you said, it isn't worth smoking every day if you're going to have panic attacks and persisting anxiety and paranoia all the time.

No. It may seem that way but when you look at the big picture (in school, good grades, good job) it really hasn't fucked up anyone I know.

I can't be sure as I don't remember what i used to be like.. but i believe smoking skunk everyday for 2 years and very regularly for 5 is why i am now a social retard. I feel anxious and out of place anywhere social (unless i have MDMA or speed :p) And i also get alot of paranoid / negative thoughts.. an example is i always think my girlfriend has totally gone off me but is too nice to tell me.

Your story sounds alot like mine, without the gay part. If you havn't stopped smoking i would strongly advise you to do so.. it only gets worse.

it's definitely messed with my emotions and anxiety, but i've learned to keep my shit together and not really let it affect me much.

yes, weed totally fucked me up physically and mentally and essentially ruined my life. it's been 2.5 years since i smoked and i am still suffering from residual affects. it's partially my fault of course for continuing to smoke even after i started to get negative affects but i also blame all those people and websites that say there are no permanent affects and once you stop everything goes back to normal because if i had known i wouldn't go back to normal, i never would have continued to smoke.

physically weed caused me the following problems:

- postural orthostatic hypotension
- gastritis
- lung damage

mentally it caused me the following the problems:

- anxiety
- paranoia
- panic attacks
- constant burnt out/perma-fried feeling
- head pressure
- subtle cognitive and memory impairments

these are just the lasting problems, i won't even get into the problems it caused while i was addicted. i'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced symptoms like these even after quitting weed? most specifically, i'd like to know if anyone else has experienced gastritis (or stomach problems in general) because while most of the things i listed seem fairly common among marijuana addicts, most other addicts i've talked to didn't get the gastritis.

anyway, the idea that this drug is harmless needs to be thrown out the nearest window. it did far more damage to me than all other drugs combined. sure, it's safe for most people when used occasionally, but when used heavily, its has the potential to really screw you up just like any other drug.

Yes it certainly will have bad affects in the long run. Unquestionably it makes peoples demeanor alot more sluggish over prolonged use ( and not just when high).

People who have said 'no' here just haven't smoked enough to reach the point where their body will start to encounter negative affects. But in the end just about everyone will stop smoking weed. And not do it forever as they all like to foolishly think.

nycrosshairs said:
Yes it certainly will have bad affects in the long run. Unquestionably it makes peoples demeanor alot more sluggish over prolonged use ( and not just when high).

People who have said 'no' here just haven't smoked enough to reach the point where their body will start to encounter negative affects. But in the end just about everyone will stop smoking weed. And not do it forever as they all like to foolishly think.

The only one foolish is you.

"Sluggish" or chill?

I know personally some 60 year old people who *still* smoke, and have been to MMJ meetups where there's freaking 80 year old grandmas who are smoking it up.

Weed is not for everyone, just like one medicine is not good for every problem. Some people benefit from it, because the effects of weed have a good impact on their physical health (as pain relief or otherwise) or their personality. Others won't. Some people can smoke mad weed and be fine, others will not. Some people will *always* use it in moderation, others will not. We're all different people ;).

I have one friend who knows several people who smoke weed, and it's had a negative impact on their lives. I have several friends who smoke, and it's had a positive impact on their lives and creativity and outlook on the world. Definitely think CalmG has the right view. Same thing for all substances, and particularly true for alcohol and cigarettes. I personally don't know anyone who's happy they smoke cigs though =/.

bbthechamp said:
it's definitely messed with my emotions and anxiety, but i've learned to keep my shit together and not really let it affect me much.

This happened to me but not from pot but from having friends/family I'm close to die suddenly out of nowhere. :(

I'd smoke during this time and it didn't help matters at all so I stopped using everything for a few years (even alcohol and caffeine); but I wouldn't say that pot itself directly made me anxious/depressed, and it didn't always fuck me up physically/emotionally as bad as alcohol can.

I don't think marijuana is the cause of these symptoms, maybe potentates(fucking spellcheck) them, but is not the cause.

physically weed caused me the following problems:

- postural orthostatic hypotension
- gastritis
- lung damage

mentally it caused me the following the problems:

- anxiety
- paranoia
- panic attacks
- constant burnt out/perma-fried feeling
- head pressure
- subtle cognitive and memory impairments

postural orthostatic hypotension? gastritis? head pressure? hypochondriac?
maybe you should see a counselor.

nycrosshairs said:
But in the end just about everyone will stop smoking weed. And not do it forever as they all like to foolishly think.

I'm distressed to learn that weed has had such a negative effect on some people. the first time a person told me that he was having anxiety problems due to smoking weed, I didn't believe it was that. I thought it was something else. But now I have heard others say the same thing so they can't all be wrong. I still think it must have to do with the person's mental condition to begin with. And that the weed only brought it out. The brain is a delicate thing.
The slightest chemical imbalance would likely cause problems. Its a shame that not everyone can enjoy weed. I've smoked for 39 years and I don't plan on stopping......ever.

I've never had any problems.. yet

Nor have any of my friends

Most of the people I know who have a proper addiction to weed and could be considered having a problem with it started when they were very young, like 13-15 and are now 20+. I think it is much harder to stop if you have been doing it that long and started so young. Tends to be less of a problem with people who started much older. But then everyone is different, this is just what I've noticed with people around me.

people that consider themselves addicted to weed are by rule, retarted. One of the least addictive drugs out there, and ive tried many.

smoking hella weed brings out issues that were already in your head. Its not for everyone.

drscience said:
I don't think marijuana is the cause of these symptoms, maybe potentates(fucking spellcheck) them, but is not the cause.

postural orthostatic hypotension? gastritis? head pressure? hypochondriac?
maybe you should see a counselor.

what would a counselor do? sure, it might help with anxiety but seeing a counselor doesn't cure things like gastritis and postural orthostatic hypotension both of which i have been diagnosed with by medical professionals. these are physical and not psychological problems and i was perfectly physically healthy before i started smoking weed. postural orthostatic hypotension is a well documented affect of marijuana. as for gastritis, i am not sure why i have that. that's why i asked if any other marijuana smokers have had stomach problems.

wowitch17 said:
people that consider themselves addicted to weed are by rule, retarted. One of the least addictive drugs out there, and ive tried many.

smoking hella weed brings out issues that were already in your head. Its not for everyone.

people that consider themselves addicted to cocaine are by rule, retarded. one of the least addictive drugs out there, and i've tried many. see, i can make baseless and useless statements which contribute nothing positive to this discussion too.