• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Are we old fuddy duddies?

zephyr said:
Half the threads that survive beyond one response aren't necessarily GOOD, they just conform to the strict guidelines.
Thats kinda funny. I was half way through listing the guidelines for what makes a 'successful' thread but gave up due to hating the outcome.

ie. A topic requiring only general knowledge, one that people can express a 'personalized' opinion, preferably one thats visual or moral in nature, and whateverthefuckyoudo dont make the poster be creative in order to contribute

:(

hey people i'm relativly new here but had 2 pop in n say that i still like to think we aussies go hard. i have found the aus drug dissussion 2 b dominated by pill (E) talk. so i jump over 2 the social thread 2 c whats happenin.. im medicated @ the moment on anti psycs n benzos. but still manage to get a drink/smoke/ etc whatever in most dayz maybe thats just me or this is somewhat an irrelivant point, just had 2 say it love the fact there r so many aussies here, fuddyduddy or otherwise:)

S.M.F.G said:
i have found the aus drug dissussion 2 b dominated by pill (E) talk. so i jump over 2 the social thread 2 c whats happenin..

Funny about that, considering it is a drug sub-forum.

S.M.F.G said:
hey people i'm relativly new here but had 2 pop in n say that i still like to think we aussies go hard. i have found the aus drug dissussion 2 b dominated by pill (E) talk. so i jump over 2 the social thread 2 c whats happenin.. im medicated @ the moment on anti psycs n benzos. but still manage to get a drink/smoke/ etc whatever in most dayz maybe thats just me or this is somewhat an irrelivant point, just had 2 say it love the fact there r so many aussies here, fuddyduddy or otherwise:)

welcome and stick arround smfg.

Samadhi said:
I think it's a case of the majority of members don't see the metric fuckload of crap that we have to unapprove/edit, etc, as well.

The problem i have with highly emotive threads is that, unfortunately a small handful of knobs ruin it for the rest of you. It is inevitable that controversial threads turn in to shitty flame-fests and people resort to slanging matches filled with ad hominem attacks, and quite frankly, i'm sick of mopping up after it. We're happy to unapprove/edit some threads, but when we wake up to 2 pages of shit slinging, it becomes a little tedious.

If members can maintain a level of maturity above that of a 9 year old (i know you are but what am i?), then we'd be more open to leaving such threads open. I refer to threads such as the disaster that was the Indigenous Australian thread (yeah, images depicting "coons" and comparing Aboriginals to gorillas is totally awesome :|)

All of you who are complaining about the state of this forum, do something about it and stop complaining... we can only do so much as moderators. Also, aside from the Golden Nangs, there have been great intiatives here such as The Bluelight Christmas CD swap, that has been pretty damned successful for a long time.

I also take slight umbrage to the insinuation (well, to the outright accusation, actually) that threads in Aus Social are closed down toot sweet whenever anything resembling topical conversation apprears. Total and utter crap... see my comment about 9 year olds in response to that.

I'd play the world's smallest violin for ya in sympathy, but I actually have no sympathy for the aus social mods- tough titties mate! :D

(Plz don't ban me hehe)

At least you get to see the 4x crap (if you say it is, then it MUST be :p) before its filtered out along with the character of the poster who takes their time out of their life to post it.

If someone wants to come off as a total racist git like in your example- why bother cleaning the mess up- it makes THAT PERSON look like the tosser they are, not the whole damn forum.

You make more work for yourselves, seriously. Maybe there are too many mods, maybe there are not enough contributing members anymore, maybe fucking moebro should pull his finger out and post more, maybe LURKING should be forbidden! Or kidnapping popavich and holding him at gunpoint would work?

These zany, somewhat illegal ideas to put the boot up the arse of this shrivelled forum are bought to you by the letters k and y.

We need social lubrication Samadi!

Originally Posted by Samadhi
I think it's a case of the majority of members don't see the metric fuckload of crap that we have to unapprove/edit, etc, as well.

The problem i have with highly emotive threads is that, unfortunately a small handful of knobs ruin it for the rest of you. It is inevitable that controversial threads turn in to shitty flame-fests and people resort to slanging matches filled with ad hominem attacks, and quite frankly, i'm sick of mopping up after it. We're happy to unapprove/edit some threads, but when we wake up to 2 pages of shit slinging, it becomes a little tedious.

If members can maintain a level of maturity above that of a 9 year old (i know you are but what am i?), then we'd be more open to leaving such threads open. I refer to threads such as the disaster that was the Indigenous Australian thread (yeah, images depicting "coons" and comparing Aboriginals to gorillas is totally awesome )

All of you who are complaining about the state of this forum, do something about it and stop complaining... we can only do so much as moderators. Also, aside from the Golden Nangs, there have been great intiatives here such as The Bluelight Christmas CD swap, that has been pretty damned successful for a long time.

I also take slight umbrage to the insinuation (well, to the outright accusation, actually) that threads in Aus Social are closed down toot sweet whenever anything resembling topical conversation apprears. Total and utter crap... see my comment about 9 year olds in response to that.

Definitely guilty of the shit talk here and there. I do agree that most of the time its utter crap and i should keep my mouth shut. But what i dislike is how strictly some topics are moderated. Sure, it may go off topic for a little bit, but it could be valuable discussion and it usually ends up getting back to the original topic anyway. I may be ranting due to my sleepless night, but this is the way i see it.

I do understand where you're coming from IT, however speaking for myself, i think i've been one of the most lenient moderators in Aus Social. When Kat and I were modded, i really felt that the forum became more relaxed, which is what we had actually aimed for.

There are topics, however, that i think need to be moderated - such as the Indigenous Australia thread, the politics thread, and other subjects that tend to be more emotive. I will unapprove/edit posts that break our guidelines... unfortunately, there have been numerous times in those threads where discussion has degenerated into what can only be described as clusterfucks. When, as moderators, we see this over and over and over and over again, when a thread like that pops up, we instinctively cringe. :\

As for other threads that go off-topic, sometimes members only need a reminder about keeping it on topic, and they do - people are making out that every thread that encourages a skerrick of topical discussion is closed? I don't get that at all.

Samadhi said:
I do understand where you're coming from IT, however speaking for myself, i think i've been one of the most lenient moderators in Aus Social. When Kat and I were modded, i really felt that the forum became more relaxed, which is what we had actually aimed for.

There are topics, however, that i think need to be moderated - such as the Indigenous Australia thread, the politics thread, and other subjects that tend to be more emotive. I will unapprove/edit posts that break our guidelines... unfortunately, there have been numerous times in those threads where discussion has degenerated into what can only be described as clusterfucks. When, as moderators, we see this over and over and over and over again, when a thread like that pops up, we instinctively cringe. :\

As for other threads that go off-topic, sometimes members only need a reminder about keeping it on topic, and they do - people are making out that every thread that encourages a skerrick of topical discussion is closed? I don't get that at all.

I'd agree with everything you have said there and would say thats fair enough.

:)

I think you mods in here actually do a very good job. I agree that this place certainly is quite relaxed since you guys have taken over. My past experience with a particular Aus Social mod was rather unpleasant (it involved if someone flamed/called me names she would leave it there but if i went to say something back to them she would delete it, even if i did sugar coat it) so i am really glad and relieved that crap doesn't go on anymore.

When shit gets removed from the threads, it is merely because it is in fact nothing but shit. Sure it may be entertaining for some to read of another person being attacked and flamed, but at the end of that day it's really just nonsenses that just makes the place look untidy. I am over the flame wars. I am over being involved, being attacked. The lot. I am glad we have consistent mods who do their job and don't favor. Their fair, which hasn't always been the case in the past.

zephyr said:
I'd play the world's smallest violin for ya in sympathy, but I actually have no sympathy for the aus social mods- tough titties mate! :D

(Plz don't ban me hehe)

At least you get to see the 4x crap (if you say it is, then it MUST be :p) before its filtered out along with the character of the poster who takes their time out of their life to post it.

If someone wants to come off as a total racist git like in your example- why bother cleaning the mess up- it makes THAT PERSON look like the tosser they are, not the whole damn forum.

You make more work for yourselves, seriously. Maybe there are too many mods, maybe there are not enough contributing members anymore, maybe fucking moebro should pull his finger out and post more, maybe LURKING should be forbidden! Or kidnapping popavich and holding him at gunpoint would work?

These zany, somewhat illegal ideas to put the boot up the arse of this shrivelled forum are bought to you by the letters k and y.

We need social lubrication Samadi!

Play me a sonata in G minor, or cry me a fucking river. We don't (and have never) allowed racist comments, or comments that defame any individual or group. Sorry, but just because you think bigotry is entertaining doesn't mean that the rest of us do. We like to encourage people to post in Aus Social and allowing racism, bigotry, and other negativity isn't really welcoming people. We BOTHER cleaning the mess up for that very reason.

Seriously, we were made moderators because our peers (beng other staff, senior mods and admins) deemed us suitable to moderate to the guidelines set in place. So the crap we moderate IS crap, and yes, it's because we say it is, but it's essentially because it breaks the Aus Social guidelines. The people you mentioned in your post are all rad, but they certainly didn't make the forum. If they want to post, they will, but if not, then - whatever.

So, what social lubrication to you suggest? Let's see - reapproving the drama, flamefests and 5 pages of bullshit in threads, racism is allowed, what else? Sounds tops so far. :\

i wouldnt say that this forum is full of fuddy duddies per se; but like others, has its own vibe; which if i had to; would label Aus. Soc as being conservative.

in saying that; i keep in mind the history of the forum and the fact that most users have been here for 5+ years, alot of you have met one another (which will always change the social dynamics of any internet based relationship/community) and that were all now older, have moved on; and no longer in the height of our drug use (not everyone). any relationship had over that time period is destined to change, especially when moving into adulthood and during major developmental stages in lifestyle.

i appreciate the forum for what it is, and if ever am in search of another atmosphere, have other areas of bluelight where i can go to fulfill that, and do. the only suggestion that i could put forward to improve the mundane crux we sometimes encounter, is by perhaps introducing a few weekly based competitions (photography, photoshopping, research topics etc) or team based games to keep conversation, freedom of thought/expression and ideas flowing.

...kytnism...:|

They are fantastic ideas, Kytie :) We welcome any new ideas from all members, and i'll get my thinking cap on. I had SUCH a ball with the Colour Wars comp (ORLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!) ;).

I'd be really keen to see something similar in here, i'll round up the mods & admin and see what we can come up with. :) (Member ideas are also welcome)

Because that is the problem, it doesn't just make that individual poster look like a tosser, it does indeed make a mockery of the whole forum.

kytnism said:
the only suggestion that i could put forward to improve the mundane crux we sometimes encounter, is by perhaps introducing a few weekly based competitions (photography, photoshopping, research topics etc) or team based games to keep conversation, freedom of thought/expression and ideas flowing.

...kytnism...:|

BINGO.

I dont think this places boreingness has anything to do with the indigenous persons thread being closed................its all to do with the fact that the only thing that ever happens is that someone smiles, frowns eats or drinks or tips afl or nrl.

It needs livening up and that livening up needs to come from above as well as from within.

If you lead it they will come.

I also seriously think that at least half of those threads should either be closed or merged.

why nopt have a smile and frown thread all together...hell the smilers might rub off on the frowners.

do we really need a what did you just eat thread???............... NO seriously.........do we really?

Lets work to reduce by at least half the number of repetitive boring silly threads.

Maz, i appreciate your comments, but the smile and frown threads work - so does the food thread. I'd like for people to perhaps add recipes in there, because part of my fuddy-duddiness includes cooking a heap and i like trying new things. :) If we were to merge the smile/frown threads, they'd be closed in a few days, they'd fill up so quickly. It's really apples and oranges - some people like them (like me) and some don't (like you). They have a high volume of traffic, so they aren't going anywhere.

I'll put my thinking cap on to see what i can come up with to spice this place up. I don't think, either, that the problem is the closing of threads - because it doesn't really happen very often, at all.

Samadhi said:
If we were to merge the smile/frown threads, they'd be closed in a few days, they'd fill up so quickly. It's really apples and oranges - some people like them (like me) and some don't (like you). They have a high volume of traffic, so they aren't going anywhere.

Good point.

lil angel15 said:
Because that is the problem, it doesn't just make that individual poster look like a tosser, it does indeed make a mockery of the whole forum.

I agree with this. Also, more importantly IMO, it makes the forum uncomfortable for some people. If the forum is full of racist abuse, and that turns people away from BL, then it's detracting from our mission. I don't want someone to miss out on harm reduction information because they got flamed to hell, or read continual hateful comments against their race or gender or orientation or whatever.

People miss out on harm reduction because of hypocrisy, nickyj's comment being a shining example of such in this thread. His comment may be tongue in cheek, but it is quite true, things that should be openly discussed are not because of the behind-the scenes shit stirring by people who are perfectly happy to dabble in drugs with other members of this forum, but god forbid they air any weaknesses they may have.

I know a little about this- from personal experience. There have been many many occasions where BL could have played more of a harm reduction role in my life, personally, and I would be more open about discussing it, but bluelight is the last place on earth I can ask any questions or participate in any discussion that would have been beneficial.

In fact, BL made certain situations a hell of a lot worse.

Aus Social is not directly involved in harm reduction as drug discussions take place in the drug forums. This discussion is more about the social aspects- or lack thereof- in the social forums.

Its not exactly the most social of forums, which is why there is not that much social participation. You don't need to be an Einstein to figure that one out.

What is more fun and popular- a bar or a library? Which is Aus Social more like- a bar or a library?

Derr.