• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

rashandreflex

Bluelighter
yes, that is the correct spelling...odd, though

anyway, has anyone come across this yet? what did you think?

it is a new ADHD medication that i believe has just been introduced in the US. there is no reason to think it would be particularly desirable given that it is specifically designed to be less well 'liked' by known drug users (heh). it is also a pro-drug, so it needs to be metabolized by the stomach before becoming psychoactive.

i just find it amusing that companies try to make drugs less abusable in a variety of ways (although in some cases i doubt they're trying too hard), and the abusers always figure out a way around it, heh.

Vyvanse.com is the web site for info from the maker (Shire).

They tested it for "Drug Likability" and it rated at half of dexadrine. The maximum dose recomended is 70 mg. which looks like it equals 35 mg. of dexadrine.

Even though the manufacturer rated it a "half as abusable as dexadrine", the US Government gave it a 100% rating as a Schedule II Controlled Substance.

My impression from Shire's press campaign was to get it scheduled as a Sch. III so doctors could give refills, call in scripts, etc.

rashandreflex said:
it is also a pro-drug, so it needs to be metabolized by the stomach before becoming psychoactive.

So what is it converted to? Meaning, since it's the prodrug, what is the chemical that actually produces the effect then? Obviously some form of amphetamine, but what specifically.

Is it the stomach that metabolizes it? I mean are you 100% sure? Because unless it's metabolized by an enzyme in the stomach, you could mimic the stomach's conditions in a jar (PH, heat, etc) to cause the active chemical to be released.

I would bet it's enzymatic though, but someone neesd to provide more info about this.

it is a conditionally bioreversible derivative of amphetamine, so i guess that's what it metabolizes into. i am not sure how it is metabolized in the stomach...obviously if it's stomach acid, it'll be easy to put it in some lemon juice or something and let it sit for awhile...voila! amphetamine...guess the FDA saw through shire's ploy, too

^its dextro-amphetamine thats been fused to l-lysine, so the body has to seperate the two molecules before it becomes active, essensailly its a extended release dextro-amphetamine that connot be easily converted to instant realease (unless as toxicferret stated you could just put it into acidic liquid to realease the amphetamine).

my feeling as for shires reason for releasing this is to have the next drug to pimp out to doctors when the copywrite on adderall runs out and they loose theyre bigest cash cow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyvanse

It wouldn't be a problem converting it into amphetamine if you had some trypsin around. The easiest way to get trypsin would be from vomit, but I really can't see amphetamine junkies getting into swallowing vomit.

stirfry said:
^its dextro-amphetamine thats been fused to l-lysine, so the body has to seperate the two molecules before it becomes active, essensailly its a extended release dextro-amphetamine that connot be easily converted to instant realease (unless as toxicferret stated you could just put it into acidic liquid to realease the amphetamine).

my feeling as for shires reason for releasing this is to have the next drug to pimp out to doctors when the copywrite on adderall runs out and they loose theyre bigest cash cow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyvanse

Exactly right. They lost the adderall patent war and now they need something very quick. Fuck shire. Adderall IS "SHIRE" by the way. That drug is one of the top 10 prescribed drugs in the world. The XR version is the only thing keeping them above water, so to speak.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it certainly seems like.

oh i didn't realize adderall xr was shire! well, then it's definitely just a ploy to keep their market share like janssen and invega recently, etc.

Vyvanse

Just was prescribed for my ADHD. Better for people with ADHD then Adderall IMO...

Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows if Vyvanse would test positive for Amphetamines/Methamphetamines in a drug test. Probation meeting in a few days and need to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.

Vyvanse is a prodrug or conditionally bioreversible derivative of dextroamphetamine according to info I found. I would imagine that because of this it would cause a positive on a urine screen, although I have little to no info on it's metabolites. If you have a prescription for it, just take the bottle in with you when you take your drug test.

EDIT: Apparently it is metabolized into dextroamphetamine. See here:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2007/021977lbl.pdf

what's funny..

Funny thing happened to me last week. While visiting my doctor who has 40+ years experience, when asked about Vyvanse I said it's the prodrug of d-amphetamine (dextroamphetamine/dexedrine...) right? He says no. It's Adderall. Technically he's partially correct being that there is d-amphetamine in Adderall in various salts (I read 75% d-amphetamine somewhere correct me if I'm wrong) but In the way it was described to me was out right wrong!

Techni-mumbo-jumbo

The key difference between the metabolism of Vyvanse and d-amphetamine is "..being a prodrug, lisdexamfetamine has different properties than dextroamphetamine; for instance, lisdexamfetamine is metabolised in the gastrointestinal tract, while dextroamphetamine's metabolism is hepatic."
-- wikipedia.org

This gives Vyvanse a much slower release where as dextroamphetamine sulfate is rapidly absorbed. Common controlled release-type stuff used by fast absorbing drugs.. ie. Concerta (Ritalin) Adderall XR (Adderall) etc etc..

Actually, some drugs have to be prodrugs in order to cross the BBB. Example Levodopa (l-dopa). The BBB or Blood-brain barrier in short is a filter used by the brain to keep naughty chemicals and such out and let good drugs I mean things in. Since dopamine cannot cross the BBB, it has to be administered in its prodrug form (see above) l-dopa which is able to cross the BBB it crosses over and is metabolized into dopamine.

MODS::
I'm sure this info is somewhere on the board and if it isn't .. ^^^^
If this belongs in another thread or such please feel free to move it.
-----------
Everything and beyond on d-amphetamine PDF h11p://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/nda/2007/021977s000_PharmToxR.pdf
Stupid truncating.

A crude metabolic drawing of the breakdown of prodrug Vyvanse that I found using images.google.com (not sure how correct this is.)::

:
::
::....

dehmmy
[ corrections always welcome ]

Last edited:
My pdoc just recommended I switch from Concerta ER 54mgs/day to this Vyvanse & explained that it has a much smoother ride. Would this be better than Concerta in anyones opinion?

Philoscybin said:
My pdoc just recommended I switch from Concerta ER 54mgs/day to this Vyvanse & explained that it has a much smoother ride. Would this be better than Concerta in anyones opinion?

probably so

Philoscybin said:

Having been on methylphenidate and currently, dextroamphetamine, I'd say that Vyvanse could easily be the better potential option. Compared to methylphenidate, I've found that dextroamphetamine, is by all means, a smoother ride, in that its comedown is substantially less unpleasant and it has less side effects such as jitters, insomnia and headaches. However, it will likely take a little adjustment to find what dose of Vyvanse provides the best therapeutic effects, so don't expect it to instantly perform better than Concerta. IMO, once you find the 'ideal' dose, it'll more than likely provide better results.

I was just prescribed this on Wednesday, I am really hoping it helps me focus. I took 1 30mg capsule this morning and it did seem to help quite a bit. I'll be able to give better info on it in about a week.

well i chose to switch from concerta to vyvanse and just got a script written out today for 30mg/day from my psychiatrist at the facility/treatment center i'm currently residing.

I'm not to sure I like Vyvanse. Suprisingly it made me really aggitated and gave me really bad cotton mouth, which comes as a shocker considering how many of the 15mg dexedrine spansules I went through (abused, crushed the little balls of joy) when I was younger. Go figure. I actually was talking to my Dr. about getting switched to something else at a lower dose. From what I've read the 30mg vyvanse equals out to about 10mg dexamphetamine once it's through your system... Maybe I am just getting old (i'm 23) and can't handle speedy shit in my system, but honestly I'd rather be unfocused then pissed off, shaky, and lacking saliva. I know I should give it a few more days until my body is used to it, but it's still a bitch.

Vyvanse works great (i take 70mg/day right now), i switched from DextroStats but still take one dextrostat before each class (so 3 dextrostats a day) to help me focus.
I'm still titrating onto vyvanse and adjusting my whole amphetamine regimen

they put me on this in rehab

its shit

me and 5 other people who were put on it around the same time all started to refuse within 2-4 days of taking it.

no vyvanse for me

Just got this script today, looked quite promising. Took two 30 mgs, about to take a 50 (2 30s on a full stomach got me on the same level as 30 mgs of adderall, except more calm and organized. It's a reverse isomer of the dextroamphetamine molecule, i'm still experimenting to find adderall equivalency, but for focus purposes it's a god-damn miracle drug to me.

For example, I've been on coke about a month, having a couple breaks, 9 days without total out of that whole period, but I used it for both recreational and academic purposes.

Also, i get 120 footballs a month (+4 in-month refills) and find the combination absolutely perfect.

Granted I am diagnosed with the conditions for both scripts, it still puts me in a state of mind I enjoy so much that I'd take it over coke. 3 blissful weeks since my last break, and I gave my girlfriend a half-gram (all of my personal leftover) for free.

Now that, my friends, is a disclaimer for this shite. Still would like to see a more committed bluelighter come up with an equivalency chart.