• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

all right i took a pill at 12:30pm. it kicked in 15 minutes ago (2:30pm) and it wasn't gradual. i just came up kinda hard within 5-10 minutes. are you supposed to eat with it too? i just had some yogurt and cereal with the pill.

it seems a bit edgier to me than 20mg adderall...but i guess i may as well give it a try for a while and see how it goes.

PS - is adderall around the same price as vyvanse? as it is i pay around 80 for 15 pills of vyvanse. in two weeks the dosage goes up..so i'm wondering how much more that will be too.

cheers

Change in dosage procedure

I'm putting a lot of time and creativity getting dosage right on Vivanse because my shrink and I think it has strong potential for improving quality of life on a long-term basis for adults with BP2 and other problems.

As BP2 I am prone to depression, poor social skills, and lack of motivation. Otherwise, everything is groovy! Vyvance was intended for children with ADHD but has been found to work for adults with different letter combinations variety too.

You'll know V is doing what it was meant to do when you begin to feel pleasantly calm and yet energetic at the same time. (Not "speedy" though.) You'll be motivated and will get a lot done. You will also enjoy life more and be easier to live with.

In my experience, Vyvanse is most effective if the following precautions are taken:

RULE #!: DO NOT BUILD UP TOLERANCE
You can build up a tolerance to V but it takes a pretty long time -- a few months of steady usage. You can lose the tolerance in about a week of cold turkey -- it's not as bad as some. (Be ready for late-night depression.) The best approach is to take just enough to get you centered and a tiny bit buzzed. Do not take any more than you have to.

Everybody's experiences are difference. I have found V to be smoothest upper I've taken yet. It has never made me anxious or irritable -- I don't even know I'm off until one to two hours have gone by. (I am an averaged sized guy, j-u-s-t- bordering on tolerance but I know how to stay under the line. My dosage is 60MG.

I used to take one 30MG, wait an hour, then take the other 30MG. Now I take both at the same time for a less peaky effect.

RULE #2: DON'T TRY TO GET TOO HIGH

Vivanse gets you pleasantly high TAKEN AS PRESCRIBED. Why mess up a good thing? If V helps you with your symptoms, consider the getting-high part a bonus. But if you start "chasing" the high, you'll build up a tolerance and lose the benefits. For instance, I went to 90MG/day for a while and started gaining weight. (See below.) If you sense tolerance coming on, take a 4 7-day holiday.

RULE #3: Don't #)@)$*# STARVE YOURSELF.

Most of us want to knock off a few pounds but with V we can really get carried away. Normal dosage will kill your appetite but you can eat smaller portions of healthier stuff and still loose weight while feeling healthy and looking good.

If for any reason you stop taking V that weight is going to want to come back on pretty fast. Get used to the eating style described in the preceding para and it won't be so bad.

RULE #4: FACTOR SOME WD INTO THE SR
Don't expect to feel V's pleasant effects for the duration of the high. You'll spend 1 - 3 hours of that time coming down, which is never a pleasurable experience where uppers are involved. I'd count on about 6 hours of "medication" then 2 or 3 of withdrawal. Benzos help, but watch it, they are addictive little buggers that build up tolerance big-time.

RULE #5: Don't BS your shrink.
Over several months of usage I have discovered my doc sees this drug from the same perspective I do: You don't need high dosage. If you up the dosage level, you'll develop tolerance. So why bother?

It's probably a good idea to take a vacation from V every two or three weeks, for a few days. It's powerful stuff and induces you to push yourself harder than you would ordinarily. Use Buluelight to keep fellow V users posted on how your experiences have gong -- it's still pretty new for treating adults.

i agree with your 'rules' 100% i'm on vyvanse 50 mg, been on it for three months now. i never used amps much in the past, its not what i like in a recreational drug, but as something to improve my adhd, its worked wonders.

i've been taking breaks on the weekend, and on lay days during the week. i love how gradual it comes up, and how gradual it lays me down. not a crash, more of a slow motion fall, heh. i have a routine of taking my 50 mg in the morning before i eat.

about the eating stuff, i had a week off from school last month, so i didnt take any, the weight i put off the first month came back quick! now i just keep snacking during the day instead of just skipping lunch, and the anorexic effects are minimal. (weight has never been an issue for me though) tends to keep my mood better in the evening as well.

about rule #4, i dont really notice a shitty feeling in the comedown part of taking vyvanse. around that time i'm usually winding down anyway, and by the time the stimulation has completely worn off, i'm perfect for bed. although i havent been sleeping as much, i still get my 5-7 hours a night. and strangely enough, vyvanse has turned me into a morning person.

and on rule #5, words of wisdom man.

sometimes less is more, in the whole pro to con ratio. the first week i was put on 30 mg, to start on 50 mg after that. this caused some bad insomnia for me, so i dropped down to 40 mg for the first month. just that 10 mg less was perfect. now i feel that 50 mg is a good sweet spot, been just as effective now as it was a month ago.

taking more vyvanse doesnt make the effects a whole lot stronger IME, but it sure does make it last a LOT longer. i like my sleep, and that deters me from abusing it. i'm feeling good of a mid-dose, i dont want to fuck up a good thing.

I take way too many benzos (my next tapering project) and don't have problems sleeping when using Vyvanse. When I overused Vyvannse (90MG) I'd just build up tolerance, and there is no stronger motivator that avoiding tolerance if you want to keep getting the benefits of a drug. At normal usage (60MG) I don't think insomnia is going to be a problem, provided I am willing to take a year or so to taper from the benzos.

i've been off of benzos from about a month before starting vyvanse. actually since i've started vyvanse i havent touched a benzo. tried 20 mg of ambien to sleep one night, and that was a trip.
i usually have a high tolerance to the psychedelic/deliriant effects of ambien, but something about the combo and running on very little sleep, made it quite interesting. zero amnesia, and full blown delirium for half an hour, tell tale ambien hallucinations and all that.

i'm an insomniac as it is, enough so that the rebound insomnia from (ab)using sleep aids is pure torture. vicious cycle. i have a hard time with self control and a big rx to benzos, so its in my best interest to stay away. with vyvanse, i notice i dont sleep as long, but the sleep is more refreshing. better than any sleep aid has given me, and i've been prescribed the whole gamut of them over the past 5 years.

good luck tapering, i hope sleep doesnt become too hard to achieve coming off benzos while being on vyvanse.

In my experience, I have used a lot of different stimulants (ranging from pharms to cocaine, and ever cocaine freebase one time) and I find vyvanse to be garbage. It makes me jittery, gives me headaches, and makes my head race like hell! Although, I am rather odd because I find 90mg of oral Methylphenidate to be a more likable high than freebase smoking. No joke, one of the times I did the good ol' 90mg regiment, I wrote close to 3000 words on a friends facebook talking about how much of a good person they were hah. But to be honest, vyvanse is garbage. Avoid it.

yea i'm getting a cold sweat and feel like i'm crashing now..a little depressed. i found adderall way smoother, made my mind clearer, and i could relax and had no anxiety..i didn't even feel like i was on a drug. i don't feel relaxed on vyvanse. i feel a bit speedy and sort of on the edge. my stomach is messed up after i tried eating just snacks throughout the day.

i hope i can switch to adderall..at least once this script is out. i don't even feel like taking any more tho, to be honest. =/

you definitely need to force yourself to eat while on vyvanse. it's hard at first...you need to find food that you love and keep reminding yourself that if you eat, the comedown will be a PIECE OF CAKE.
when i add weed to the equation feeling the comedown becomes almost laughable.
then again thats just me, and when i have taken adderall and smoked i went psychotic and started praying 8)

Last edited:
Didn't like it or find it to work as well as my regular Adderall for ADHD but can't take the long-lasting kinds of Adderall anyway because I wouldn't be able to eat a thing!

thats strange that people felt adderall to be smoother than vyvanse.
vyvanse is basically an xr dexidrine

i've had adderall before, and that gave me more perhipial effects because of the levo-amphetamine in it, i assume. i've smoked, snorted and iv'ed meth and coke (smoked the base). and i have to say, vyvanse is the smoothest out of all of them. slow come up, and a gradual enough come down where i dont feel the leftover jitters of adderall and other stims.

different strokes for different folks, i guess..

Ambien / Vyvanse / Benzos

I usually have a high tolerance to the psychedelic/deliriant effects of ambien, but something about the combo and running on very little sleep, made it quite interesting. zero amnesia, and full blown delirium for half an hour, tell tale ambien hallucinations and all that.

Whoa, so that's why I've been getting all those hallucinatory dreams! Along with benzos I recently started taking taking Ambien as well to sleep. The ultra-realistic dreams started happening right away. For example, I'd have a Technicolor dream of being somewhere else -- a motel maybe -- and get up in the middle of the night thinking I had to check out and attend some special event.

I'd wake up (sort of) and be getting ready to shower at, like, 3:00 a.m. when my partner would ask what the fuck I was doing. Then I'd fully awake and realize I was in my own bathroom.

Maybe this is the Vyvanse and Ambien interacting. It's never happened to me before. Thank goodness these are not scary dreams. In fact I find them funny as hell afterward, but realize I can't go on forever with these things, so gotta either develop a tolerance to them or make a meds change.

Like you, I'm an insomniac. I started Benzos years ago. Now, along with the Ambien to knock me out, I take two Temazepam and four Xanax! Be really careful upping your benzo dosage -- they are one of the most addictive drugs and take forever to taper. I started the Ambien recently to supplement the benzos. Maybe I'll be able to taper the benzos and still get some sleep due to the Ambien. In the meantime, I'll see you in my dreams!

A few weeks ago I messed up my back. It's serious, worn-out disc. I don't need to fake back pain or BP2 because already I've already got those problems and don't want to be a non-functioning garbagehead anyway. Nevertheless we all need a break once in a while so . . . The orthopedic surgeon wrote me for 90 Norco 10/325s plus two refills. Let's just say the the right dosage, at the right times, of Vyvanse/Norco/Temazepam can make your day a pleasant one from beginning to end.

Oh yeah, one last thing about some ppl who respond negatively to Vyvanse. This is totally normal, as everybody's brain is different. Because so many here like Vivanse, I would recommend trying it if Adderoll doesn't work for you. (It didn't for me.)

This is my 3rd day and the anxiety isn't getting any better. The dirty feeling is getting worse..extremities are always cold and i'm sweating all the time. I slept fine the first night, but the past two days have been rough. It seems like it's lasting longer every day. Is that because it's building up in my system? I would think it would start to fade out a little with tolerance. The first day it lasted about 7 hours, yesterday it was more like 15 hours. As for eating, i have an appetite, but i feel sick to my stomach after eating anything. I guess i should explain this to my psych. I would ideally like to just get some adderall IR. Then i don't have to mess with waiting 2 hours for it to kick in and being wired 24/7 cause that's what it feels like. Strangely, it makes me obsessive and less social while adderall makes multi-tasking and socializing effortless. I don't see how such similar drugs can be so different.

Last edited:
Usually the first few weeks on Vyvanse are the best so if you are going through bad side effects after only three days and not getting any benefit, you should contact your doc and see if s/he can switch you back to adderoll right away. Be prepared to return the unused Vyvanse to the doc or the pharmacy.

thanks man. that's good to know.

i was able to separate the l-lysine from the d-amphetamine simply using a little alkaline water and protease..let that sit for an hour then ingested. i got a fairly strong rush instantly. it seems much smoother and more effective this way. so i'll see how the rest of the day goes...

well it's getting better..i think. or maybe i'm just feeling it less as i build tolerance cause it seems after about 4-5 hours the main effects start to wear off and i get tired sooner..tho i'm still focused and awake i'm yawning a lot.

i think i'm feeling like a zombie later in the day cause i'm used to taking a lot of amino acids and vitamins that keep my fatigue at bay, but how do i take them now without killing my amphetamine buzz?? I wanna make sure my brain is getting enough nutrients and not getting fried..which is probably what's going on.

Also, when would it be best to take an antacid? Before or after taking vyvanse?

As i mentioned before, taking the pill whole really f-ks with my stomach and the effects are much edgier overall than IR...the simple protease method i used isn't foolproof tho..while i did get a rush and feel the effects immediately, it still lasted way too long for me to sleep well later.

I should've mentioned I've never had a script for adderall. I was given one 20mg IR by a friend once to see if it would help me and it was very smooth..didn't even notice it but i was more productive and calm. I am wary to explain all this to my psych to try to get adderall IR as i've just been diagnosed with ADD last week and this is my first scripted med. He knows my drug history but is quite liberal about it (he said it's fine to get high occasionally..and mentioned LSD and marijuana as being therapeutic but not to be overused) maybe i should just mention the side effects of this xr and how it turns my stomach in knots. Either way, i think i'll just ride this out for another week till i run out and see him again..and explain this.

What do you guys think?

Vyvanse was more expernsive than Brand-name Adderall in my area but I take generic Adderall

Using Adderall to reduce Vyvanse tolerance symptoms

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but just in case . . . GOMUR and others were comparing Vyvanse and Adderall, but ironically the two work together pretty well.

If your Vyvanse is starting to "sag" -- where you build up a tolerance and are bagged by lunchtime, a little Adderall will bring back the buzz -- at least, most of it.

I haven't taken Adderall, but when I told my psych I was sagging, he put me on 5MG (1/2 of a 10MG tab) Adderall to be taken in the morning along with my 30MG Vyvanse. (I do this as soon as I wake up 'cause it takes an hour to kick in.) Then, around 1:00 p.m., I take a 10MG Adderall.

I tried this for the first time today. The Adderall is super-smooth and complements the Vyvanse nicely -- I didn't get any overdose or speedy feelings, just an extension of that lovely Vyvanse buzz I used to have all day. Hey, it's 9:00 p.m. here and I'm still writing. Maybe all I need is a .5MB Adderall in the afternoon.

By the way, psychs are aware of this issue so it won't freak your doc if you ask to try both for a month or so because on Vyvanse alone you are starting to feel "fatigued and unmotivated" in the afternoons, but you don't want to increase your Vyvanse dosage. (60MG is optimal for most people.)

that's not gonna reduce your tolerance at all- what you're doing is adding a more potent amphetamine which will end up increasing your tolerance.

I understand your logic, but was assured by my psych, who's being doing this for a long time, that the two drugs, Vyvanse and Adderall, are complementary and for unknown reasons tend to stabilize the tolerance level so that the user, if taking the drugs as prescribed, will continue to achieve the medically intended benefits without future increase in dosage.

I have only a superficial understanding of dopamine uptake (embarrassing to say in a community that obviously contains so many chemists). But as a boomer-aged stimulant user -- recreational when younger, medical now (for the most part LOL) -- experience informs me there are two definitions of tolerance:

1) A reduction in the psychostimulant's desired (by the user) effects -- euphoria, appetite decrease, greater physical stamina, etc. -- over time with the dosage remaining constant.

2) A reduction in the psychostimulant's intended (by the doctor) effects -- reduced agitation and distraction, greater ability to assimilate information, etc. -- over time with the dosage remaining constant.

As a certified, card-carrying BP2 I have found that my subjective tolerance (T1) to Vyvanse rose far more quickly than my medical tolerance (T2). In other words, after a few months I wasn't pleasantly high anymore but my BP2 symptoms continued to be subdued.

Hypothesis: Most of my doc's Vyvanse patients are T2 types. This is why he believes the addition of Adderall, for reasons scientifically unknown, will stabilize T2. I am hoping it will also stabilize T1.

The immediate pleasant effects of increased psychostimulant dosage (via the Adderall) are, of course, meaningless. Finding out whether Vyvanse+Adderall stabilize T1 will require a lengthy interval of taking the two medications simultaneously, at consistent dosage. Four months should suffice. After which time I'll inform the board of my findings. Who knows? The damn combo might just work.

yeah, i have noticed the mental effects to remain fairly steady after the first month of regular use (started at the beginning of this year). slightly diminished euphoria, better appetite, and longer sleep (now back to a 'normal' level, for me at least).

although, a couple of weeks ago, i had a semi-panic attack, more than likely unrelated to the vyvanse, and had trouble sleeping (probably related). doc put me on mirtazapine 7.5 mgs for sleep, and they didnt do anything sleep wise. (i've taken them before, so maybe that can be a factor. although it was over a year since i've last taken it.

i found that, compared to the other recreation drugs i've done (mostly downers, not that recreationally into uppers) tolerance grows pretty damn slowly. i can be content at this 50 mg dose for a while.