• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

I re-opened this because I'm pretty sure we don't have a Vyvanse (or amphetamine) mega thread.

^ I couldn't find the thread either. We should have one because I could have used some quick answers to basic questions about amphetamines a few days ago.

Yea has anyone figure out how to break this down yet>?! B what u think man? figure the shit would be good for IV use after broke down!!! But yet it cant be done come on i know there are some tweakers out there that gotta hack this shit!

if this helps some of you....

I took two 50mg caps about three hours ago..on a almost empty stomach ..I opened them up and poured the sweet tasting powder in mouth...Took bout an hour to kick in....and they are very speedy..I did not take tums or any other potenating substance..I would give my left nut for a benzo right now to take the edge off a wee bit....maybe a tad bit less potent than adderall but vyvanse are very potent so user beware..I donot take amphetamines on a regular basis..the last time i used an amphetamines was four months ago and then i took five adderall 30mg..So if you were lucky enough to get a few and you don't use alot of amphetamines and want to try..then two 50mg should be way more than enough......Cheers....OP

I've been on 60mg ir adderall all night and I'm thinking about taking a 30 or 40mg vyvanse in a couple of hours. Does anyone know the half-life of vyvanese compared to adderall xr? I want to keep on going but I really don't want it to draw out and last like 10 hours.

Vyvanse seems to last closer to a full 12 hours than any other XR add meds I've been on (Adderall XR, Concerta). Still, it depends on your metabolism and the dose. Be prepared for a full 12 hours or more if you're unsure how you might react to it. Lower doses seem to metabolize a bit quicker, but there's really no way to reliably predict the duration unless you're MUCH more in tune with your liver than the rest of us.

I've been diagnosed with ADD for 2 years now. I was first on Concerta which did a whole bunch of nothing for my ADD, then was switched to Adderall XR. It helped but I hated that bump/uncomfortable boost it gave me when it kicked in. I was then switched to Vyvanse 50mg 3 months ago and it is perfect for me. I don't get that weird bump feeling when the drug kicks in, I gradually notice its affects as the day goes on. It's helped me in school a lot.

So here's the weird but AWESOME thing about Vyvanse..... You ready for this??
Ok, I've been addicted to Vicodin for 5 years and recently decided to quit. I have been taking Vyvanse as prescribed at it is actually alleviating my opiate W/D. I kid you not. I mean I don't feel 100% but I'll tell you right now if I wasn't taking the Vyvanse I would be curled in a ball on my bed in cold sweats. This drug is absolutely amazing in so many ways. I thank my doc so much for letting me try this. Anyone else get diminished W/D's from opiates when taking Vyvanse?

Vyvanse after 9 months

I'm looking over this thread after a couple of months away, and am disappointed to see almost all my posts deleted. I've had a lot of experience with Vyvanse and was sharing it as best I could.

After 9 months of daily usage, here is a "capsule" description of my trip so far:

I'm BP2 (legit) with mild occasional mania and major depressions. Response to other meds was poor. Adderall was best but, as you will read below, not as good as Vyvanse.

I started Vyvanse last August (9 months) at 60MG/day. (Two 30MG caps in the morning.) For six months or so it was fantastic. Aside from a soft but intense and long-lasting buzz its benefits were outstanding for the following: mood stabilization (no more depression!), energy (both mental and physical), ability to concentrate for long periods, and a more upbeat attitude (just keep from talking too much, typical obnoxious speed symptom). OTOH I'm a writer and you can really get carried away, being overly wordy and going off-topic when something new occurs to you. It interferes with your sleep less than any amphetamine I've taken in the past, which is quite a few, but you still need benzos or something else to nod off.

After 6 months I started to build up a tolerance to V and went to 90MG. (Two caps together on getting up, one more at lunchtime.) This worked for some things, but other benefits continued to taper. I started getting hungry again, the euphoria went away about 90%. If I went without it for a day, or even at bedtime when it had completely worn off for that day, I'd fall into an extreme depression. I mean, the get-out-the-Kleenex kind.

Still, I'm not going to give it up unless I have to. Despite the tolerance I'm going to continue V because there is nothing around that is more effective for the problems I originally took it for. I will endure some tolerance-reducing techniques if they really work to get the old thrill back, but I still benefit from it as it is. (If anybody has some sure-fire dexedrine tolerance reduction plans I'd like to hear about them, though. Haven't found anything here that works so far. And I'm not ready to quit for a couple of years.)

For me benzos are essential for a smooth landing at the end of the day, just a bit as soon as you start to come down, then more at the time you typically fall asleep.

At the day's beginnig, drop one tab of Norco 10/325 and two Vyvanse 30MG as soon as you open your eyes and your day will get off to a very nice start, even months after the first time you do this. I can see Phil's point about V making it easier to get off pain killers. I take the Norco because of my back (legit) but would give up the Norco if I had to choose between them.

If your life is really messed by up ADD, BP, depression, etc., I'd recommend giving Vyvanse a try and see if it works for you.

So what is it converted to? Meaning, since it's the prodrug, what is the chemical that actually produces the effect then? Obviously some form of amphetamine, but what specifically.

Is it the stomach that metabolizes it? I mean are you 100% sure? Because unless it's metabolized by an enzyme in the stomach, you could mimic the stomach's conditions in a jar (PH, heat, etc) to cause the active chemical to be released.

I would bet it's enzymatic though, but someone neesd to provide more info about this.

It is completely about the stomach metabolizing it. The amphetamine in vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine. I personally have experience with vyvanse. It isn't entirely new.

When I had gotten some I took 2 70mg capsules and it didn't do much at all until about 3 hours later. Unfortunately the way it is metabolized, no matter how much you take of the drug it can only be processed at a certain rate. So you only get so much of it. Think of it like this. Instead of letting a line of 50people into a store at once, the regulate it to 1 person at a time. Thats how vyvanse works. They did this simply to reduce the abuse of ADHD medication.

This link will tell you all you need to know about vyvanse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6pEziHMK4
Hope this helps :]

Hello, I am new here:

I went to my psychiatrist who prescribed me both xanax xr (2 mg) and Vyvanse, titrated up to 70 mg. I have issues with generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and depression. I was given the xanax xr for generalized anxiety/social anxiety. I also have a learning disability that falls on the nonverbal spectrum, and my psych thought that this would help with organizational issues. Needless to say I DO NOT have ADHD, and I find it a little worrisome that I was prescribed this med.

In any case, this drug combo indeed has made me much more talkative, confident, and motivated, I almost feel great! It is to the point, however, that I feel as if it is much too good to be true. I due tend to have crashes at the end of the night (depression, rumination, irritability), and my psych has upped the dose to deal with this. Ultimately, I feel as if the benefits from this drug, for me, are a simple amphetamine high that will eventually dissipate (I have never taken amphetamines, and I can now get a sense of why they can be addictive).

I was also surprised that my doctor didn't mention that I would feel like this? I mean, for me, it is almost a 70-80% improvement in depression and motivation. I would at least expect him to mention that I might be on cloud 9 for a bit but, really, perhaps, this shouldn't be the goal of the drug?

I hope that I find a drug combo that comes close to this, because it is really helping me with work, anxiety, etc, and I am quite sure this can't last forever.

Confuser,
Surprisingly vyvanse is rather hard to build a tolerance on.. You'll get a mad tolerance for the xanax but as far as the vyv. goes, i've been on it for a year(30mgs) and it has helped me the same for the entire year. I totaly know what you mean, you do exude confidence on it, more open to talk. Its weird that an ADHD medication can help depression but this one does it rather well.

Thanks for the reply, I am at such a crossroads in my life right now that the boost of confidence from the Vyvanse helped me get motivated to continue pursuing my current goal of starting a private practice to help remediate learning disabilities.

Because of my LD, I frequently become anxious (well, always anxious), and fall into depression...this, then leads to social anxiety (despite the fact that I have friends, and have always made friends). I tend to get 'natural' highs when ever I am successful professionally/academically, and become more social, confident, etc. However, experiencing these successes is often difficult because of my learning issues. Vyvanse, so far, has tended to put me in the same mood that I experience when I have my own natural highs (albeit, a little more amped up).

I am also interested in my psych's reasoning behind prescribing Vyvanse. He knows my cognitive profile (i.e., cognitive abilities, etc.), and that most of my difficulties are, theoretically, due to deficits in the right hemisphere of my brain (making tasks such as organization, visual-spatial tasks, planning, time awareness, etc., particularly difficult). He proceeded to tell me that we were lucky to live in the age of cognitive enhancers and that we should trial a stimulant (while being cognizant that it may increase my anxiety). Sounded intriguing to me but, again, I do not have ADHD, at least not according to my evaluation, or any past school history. So, am I right to assume that Vyvanse may help everyone, regardless of whether or not they have ADHD?

Not exactly.
Confuser, This may help. Think of it like this ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. There is ADHD, and ADD. ADHD = You are hyper all the time, and you can pay attetion for shit. ADD = You can pay attention but you are very very easily distracted. So you may have just ADD. Meaning you cant focus on one exact thing without somthing else bothering you.
And some people who dont need it may be effected different, so no. Its not safe to say its good for everyone regardless of medical status.

Actually, I think I may have miscommunicated a bit. I didn't mean to imply that it is a good idea to prescribe these meds to just anybody, I think that an ADHD diagnosis should be confirmed first (through observation, testing, etc.). I was just confused that he wanted to give it to me as a 'cognitive enhancer,' despite the fact my neurcog. assessment did not point to ADHD/ADD at all. I would then expect that anyone taking VyV. would have increased motivation, and task completion abilities.

I did take a crash course in ADHD over the summer for my masters in learning disabilities, and we learned about the distinction between ADD/ADHD. Aside from the CPT, I can't remember what other clinical tests are used to diagnose ADD/ADHD. I was definitely in the normal range for the CPT. As to being distracted, who knows, perhaps I was in school at times, but I am guessing that was more due to just not understanding the material. In college, I could easily sit through a lecture, and take copious notes.

Ultimately, I will continue to follow my psycs guidance, because he has experience working with adults with my cognitive profile. I hope that my motivation continues on this med.

Vyvanse seems to last closer to a full 12 hours than any other XR add meds I've been on (Adderall XR, Concerta). Still, it depends on your metabolism and the dose. Be prepared for a full 12 hours or more if you're unsure how you might react to it. Lower doses seem to metabolize a bit quicker, but there's really no way to reliably predict the duration unless you're MUCH more in tune with your liver than the rest of us.
I've found my Vyvanse script (Just started at 30mg a month ago) lasts shorter than my Concerta did, 8-9 hours vs. 10-12 hours from my experience.

Thanks for the reply, I am at such a crossroads in my life right now that the boost of confidence from the Vyvanse helped me get motivated to continue pursuing my current goal of starting a private practice to help remediate learning disabilities.

Because of my LD, I frequently become anxious (well, always anxious), and fall into depression...this, then leads to social anxiety (despite the fact that I have friends, and have always made friends). I tend to get 'natural' highs when ever I am successful professionally/academically, and become more social, confident, etc. However, experiencing these successes is often difficult because of my learning issues. Vyvanse, so far, has tended to put me in the same mood that I experience when I have my own natural highs (albeit, a little more amped up).

I am also interested in my psych's reasoning behind prescribing Vyvanse. He knows my cognitive profile (i.e., cognitive abilities, etc.), and that most of my difficulties are, theoretically, due to deficits in the right hemisphere of my brain (making tasks such as organization, visual-spatial tasks, planning, time awareness, etc., particularly difficult). He proceeded to tell me that we were lucky to live in the age of cognitive enhancers and that we should trial a stimulant (while being cognizant that it may increase my anxiety). Sounded intriguing to me but, again, I do not have ADHD, at least not according to my evaluation, or any past school history. So, am I right to assume that Vyvanse may help everyone, regardless of whether or not they have ADHD?
ADHD or not Vyvanse, Ritalin, Adderall, etc. will still be stimulants in your system. So doctors could technically prescribe them for someone they feel needs a boost but is not truly diagnosed with ADHD.

Last edited:
Vyvanse is the best amphetamine ever, but it's still just an amphetamine after all

"Ultimately, I will continue to follow my psycs guidance, because he has experience working with adults with my cognitive profile. I hope that my motivation continues on this med . . . "

We've corresponded before. I'm about a year ahead of you on Vyvanse and very similar personality. Despite anything I may have said before LOL I recommend you do not exceed max. 60MG/day (normal size male). You'll get terrible depressions as you withdraw every evening if you start upping the dose. It's the best amphetamine ever but it's just an amphetamine, not a panacea. You've got to work with who you are.

I'm fighting to get back from 90 to 60, and it's no picnic. If I can eventually get to 30 and stay there, and it continues to be of help (even without euphoria, etc.), I may continue it.

Not being patronizing, just want you to avoid the anxiety/depression aspect of withdrawal. Have muchos benzos on hand. Good luck.