• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Rimonabant (Marijuana Blocker)

i can't see how this would work out long term, since the body produces endogenous canabinoids that are somewhat nescesary.

Plus, why would someone want to imunize you against a medical valuable compound like morphine?
there are some problems with blocking natural ocuring endogenous substances.

As stupid as it sounds, I wouldnt mind something that blocks the effects of weed, I don't smoke weed anymore because all I get from it is negative effects, but when I'm with friends sometimes i cant resist smoking it if they're smoking it too, I love the taste too much.

rave23 said:
i can't see how this would work out long term, since the body produces endogenous canabinoids that are somewhat nescesary.

Plus, why would someone want to imunize you against a medical valuable compound like morphine?
there are some problems with blocking natural ocuring endogenous substances.

WOD vaccines wouldn't block endocannabinoids neither would they block endorphins, they would block benzopyrans like THC, and the true opiates.
morphine vaccination or cocaine vaccination could be seen as a useful tool to treat recidivist addict and make them productive members of the brave new world. Its just too bad they would have to suffer pain during surgery, or have to be given other opioids that they don't have antibodies to for analgesia. But the good news is that treated individuals will be bar coded and chipped so the ER and surgical staff know that they will have to use other analgesics other than morphine diamorphine and congeners.

vecktor said:
WOD vaccines wouldn't block endocannabinoids neither would they block endorphins, they would block benzopyrans like THC, and the true opiates.
morphine vaccination or cocaine vaccination could be seen as a useful tool to treat recidivist addict and make them productive members of the brave new world. Its just too bad they would have to suffer pain during surgery, or have to be given other opioids that they don't have antibodies to for analgesia. But the good news is that treated individuals will be bar coded and chipped so the ER and surgical staff know that they will have to use other analgesics other than morphine diamorphine and congeners.

I got a chance to chat with the guy who recently was in the news for his meth vaccine. Apparently they don't cross the BBB and are selective enough that they don't affect dopamine.

The stuff is quite new here in Europe (1-2 years out on the market) and I honestly call it BULLSHIT! As far as I heard/read, there were some (I guess 2) suicides during the phase III trial. No wonder, one of the main controindications nowadays is depression... But even if you're not depressive in the first place it will make you anything but happy.

And the fat, obese morons that took this (instead of stopping eating earlier) had some quite nice rebound effects that brought a major percentage back to pre-treatment weight. One should consider heavy eating as a dependence disorder like opiate dependence and alike. And since WHEN are cannabinoid antagonists/inverse agonists the remedy of choice for such an illness? (Ok, I admit, dealing pharmacologically with cannabinoid receptors is quite a new field in medicine, compared to "old friends" like opiate or GABA receptors)

In my eyes this is simply a new way to make money out of a emerging and ever growing part of industrial nations populations: The Fats! This "medicine" won't help much more then it does bring harm. Fuck it!

MurphyClox

(apologies for the strong language)

When there are very few effective treatments for obesity that don't involve surgery, you can see why this looks like a good idea.

And for some it is.

You'll find that with all pharmacological obesity treatments that post-treatment the majority will get fat again. Happens with this, happens with speed, happens with orlistat.

For a change though it's an effective treatment that doesn't cause oil to drip out of your ass or addiction.

I think if they made an Amphetamine/Orlistat combo addiction might be completely preventable ;)

Not the very worst idea so far :)

Edit: I would like to illustrate my last post with some background info... Read this if you like: http://www.acompliareport.com/News/news-061107.htm
It should make everyone suspicious when a drug is approved for the european market but rejected by the FDA (at least it was for a long time)!

Rimonabant messes around with a neurotransmitter/hormon-system that we just started to understand. Ill money-making!

Murphy

Last edited:
15kg less

My wife lost 15 kg of body weight with 100mg rimonabant (which came from China) daily over about 6 weeks without experiencing any side effects. I'D call it the first successfull weight-loss-drug, no matter what the FDA idiots say.

MurphyClox said:
Not the very worst idea so far :)

Edit: I would like to illustrate my last post with some background info... Read this if you like: http://www.acompliareport.com/News/news-061107.htm
It should make everyone suspicious when a drug is approved for the european market but rejected by the FDA (at least it was for a long time)!

Rimonabant messes around with a neurotransmitter/hormon-system that we just started to understand. Ill money-making!

Murphy

I think the FDA is enough of a failure that we really can't make any conclusions based on what it decides to accept or reject.

Unfortunate, I guess.

Holy_cow said:
My wife lost 15 kg of body weight with 100mg rimonabant (which came from China) daily over about 6 weeks without experiencing any side effects. I'D call it the first successfull weight-loss-drug, no matter what the FDA idiots say.

15 kg in 6 weeks? I seriously doubt that this happened due to Rimonabant. First: How can you be sure that the chinese (!) provider really gave you genuine rimonabant? They're quite infamous for providing anything but the real compound. Second, this is far too much weight loss in far too less time for Rimonabant. Never ever! Check the study reports... Any else explanation sounds more credible to me. Diet? Sports? Whatever...

can anyone elaborate on how low the 'ultra-low dose' of rimonabant used in the study on CB1 agonist tolerance would be? just for curiosities sake. and could this same principal be applied to stimulants, eg super low dose DA antagonists with amphetamine?

any reports on psychoactivity? I don't mean like "ohh, i'm so high", but some kind of activity it must have, right? Besides leading to depression with continuous usage..

I think rimonabant is getting pulled from the EU. I heard that people given it for withdrawals will abuse it, ie they get some activity from it at a high enough dose.
Drugs that block the inactivation or reuptake of anandamide and 2AG are expected to be more successful than rimonabant.

People are getting high from a CB1-antagonist??? What kind of 'high' is this? Can anybody comment on this?

...yeah, most antagonists are indeed inverse agonists. But how can one get high from it?! THC is indeed niiiiiiice, so I would imagine the opposite to be baaaaaad. Don't you think?!

...yeah, most antagonists are indeed inverse agonists. But how can one get high from it?! THC is indeed niiiiiiice, so I would imagine the opposite to be baaaaaad. Don't you think?!

Indeed. Just telling what i heard, at higher doses it has an effect. Don't know why.

Considering the neurotoxicity issue, I'm not going to be trying it any time soon.

And something that does the polar opposite of get you stoned, makes as much sense to me as my mother IVing holy water (I forsee spontaneous human combustion if that were to happen=D)

Cannabinoids do decrease GABA release, I wonder, could this be whats going on, surely the inverse of a decrease, would be an increase, so could massive doses of rimonabant actually be acting as a GABAergic sedative? allbeit one that is likely to give one some horrid neurodegenerative disease.

IIRC it is now in europe, only available off label, under strong advice not to use it, IMO its one of the nastiest things to hit the pharm market any time recently, and I could probably have given them a fairly well educated guess as to what an inverse agonist of a receptor whos agonists are neuroprotective and protect against neurodegenerative diseases.

Abusing it? sheesh, gimme a bong and an oz of skunk any day=D

On the one hand, as a species we have a history of zealously promoting puritanical, oppressive policies, and have a history of using 'treatment' and 'medicine' as covor to commit atrocities, as a whole and just in recent American history (ex homosexuals being shot up with Apomorphine, electroshock therapy, etc, the use of Sodium Amobarbital and related drugs like Thiopental as 'truth serums'/confession inducing drugs, various unusual chemicals forced onto incarcerated addicts [like the MK-ULTRA studies done in the Lexington Narcotic Hospital in the '50s, most notably telling addicts in for treatment that a new drug to treat addiction was being tested on them, when in reality they were being used by the feds as gunea pigs for hallucinogenic experiements, like the group of black detoxed former Morphine addicts who were injected with Iboga alkaloids). Hell, we use them in the 'extraordinary rendition' program, Barbiturates injected into supposed terrorists to make them easier to subdue and kidnap when legal channels are out of the question. Plus, habitual sex offenders are given sentances involving involuntary chemical castration (massive doses of Estrogen like hormones).

But, I seriously doubt a drug to suppress Cannabis intoxication would ever be used, at least not in any Western country. Most of the West is centre-right as far as majority politics, but for the last 40 years attitudes towards drugs have continued to soften, even in ultraconservative areas.

There is work being done on 'vaccines' for Cocaine and Heroin addiction; Time magazine ran a covor story about it several months ago. An infant would be given the vaccine at the same time as other inoculations, and it would prevent them from ever experiening a high from Cocaine or Heroin if they were ever taken, thus preventing addiction. However, even this will most likely never get widespread use due to the growing anti-vaccine movement and civil liberatarian legislators. This is assuming the technology ever bares fruit, and can meet safety standards.

Eventually, society will go back to the days where drugs are all decriminalized, if not outright legalized. Europe is already setting the stage, it won't be too long.