• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin. to cook or not to cook?

rollingsixxxes

Bluelighter
recently ive seen/heard people talking about NOT cooking their dope. this is confusing to me. i live in chicago so all the dope i get is white/tan/beige sometimes brown and always POWDER. but i always have cooked it. i noticed on another site(opiophile) that most people who get the good powder dope do NOT cook. they just mix it up then suck it up through the cotton like its cocaine.

when i put my couple bags in the cooker i always add heat till it bubbles a lil bit then add the cotton n suck it up. usually 30 seconds total depending on what im using as a cooker and how well it transfers heat. i was wondering if anyone KNOWS. not thinks but KNOWS that it makes a difference. like if the heat may destroy some of the dope? i dunno. the dope is very very powerful and when i cook it , it mixes quick with usually NO pulp or anything left. so its not really that cut up. its pretty raw. very very good quality. usually always white or off white. im not sure if just mixing it up(cold cook) would dissolve it all and be able to suck it up through the cotton.

i mean YEAH i could try to do a cold cook but ive always added heat and by some chance it doesnt work well and i dont get as high, id be really, REALLY pissed at wasting dope. so maybe thats why i havent tried it. when i dump it in the cooker and add water i can see that the powder is there at the bottom just waiting.

so if i mix/stir it up would it all dissolve just like with cooking? i know tar is a different story i lived in CA for 16 months and had plenty of tar and it requires cooking unless you wanna sit there for 40 minutes stirring it. so my question is, for people who have done BOTH, is there any difference?

i heard that cooking it makes it dissolve faster and that cooking MAY burn off some of the dope? some people have said that to me as well. so... do you guys cook? and if not, why not? do you/have you noticed ANY difference? should i start to just mix it up and add NO heat? ive always cooked it. works well, im just wondering if there is anything behind adding no heat. thanks

when i shot dope i would cold shoot it. always good powder.

Cooking (tar) heroin seems to produce a cleaner looking (and feeling) shot, in my opinion.

I don't cook untill it boils though, seems like wasting dope to me.

Cook the H, either tar or powder until it briefly boils. You are not wasting dope - just evaporating a little water. You boil briefly to knock out the impurities in the dope. If you do not cook you are begging for endocarditis (bacteria in the lining of the heart) or osteomylitis (a bacterial infection in the bone). You *really * don't want either of these conditions, both of which can leave you in a wheelchair.

I know that some of y'all are going to say, "I have never cooked and have had no problems" but I have never gotten AIDS while slept with people unprotected. See what I mean? You might get lucky, you might not.

Please be careful.

to kill bacteria you have to cook it for a good 15 minutes... google it. so i know that part isnt true. and obviously i know you have to cook tar for the most part. duh. im talking about real heroin. powder. ive noticed alot of people arent cooking it and im just wondering why and if there is ANY difference.

And for the love of God or your Higher Power, filter it with cotton when you draw up, NOT a cigarette filter.

To Cook or Not to Cook?

For safety reasons, cook it. I am not a chemist, but I have to go on what has kept me safe and alive after sixteen years of boy.

I don't know if there is a real diff or not - a good question. The crowd I hung with ALWAYS cooked, and I guess I just took after them.

Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Heat v Boil

Okay I googled. At www.harmreduction.org it recommending HEATING because it may kill some bacteria/viruses. When you googled what did you get?

Last edited:
ccm said:
Cook the H, either tar or powder until it briefly boils. You are not wasting dope - just evaporating a little water. You boil briefly to knock out the impurities in the dope. If you do not cook you are begging for endocarditis (bacteria in the lining of the heart) or osteomylitis (a bacterial infection in the bone). You *really * don't want either of these conditions, both of which can leave you in a wheelchair.

I know that some of y'all are going to say, "I have never cooked and have had no problems" but I have never gotten AIDS while slept with people unprotected. See what I mean? You might get lucky, you might not.

Please be careful.

Thats not true at all. Actually, its quite the opposite. Cooking powder dope causes more impurities to dissolve into solution. Also, cooking for a few seconds will not kill bacteria. It requires constant heat for a matter of minutes (not sure exactly how many) before bacteria will be destroyed.

It goes like this: If you are using tar, you need to cook to get it dissolved. If its powder, it can be cooked but does not need to be.

ccm said:
Okay I googled. At www.harmreduction.org it recommending HEATING because it may kill some bacteria/viruses. When you googled what did you get?

Well, that is incorrect too. Also, that is not a scientific source. Its pretty much the same thing as using a post from bluelight as a reference. Google it again and check it on a chemistry or science website.

Isn't adding water sufficient enough to dissolve impurities? You are saying that heat interacts with the impurities to release them into the mix? I have never heard that. Of course, in the South tar is the norm. Unfortunately. When I have had enough luck to happen onto powder I have cooked to light boil. I love love love powder 'cause I can see the register.

ccm said:
Isn't adding water sufficient enough to dissolve impurities? You are saying that heat interacts with the impurities to release them into the mix? I have never heard that. Of course, in the South tar is the norm. Unfortunately. When I have had enough luck to happen onto powder I have cooked to light boil. I love love love powder 'cause I can see the register.

Yes, that is what Im saying.

The reason people heat any opiate is to promote its dissolving into solution but most opiates will dissolve freely in cold water. Certain cuts in powder dope will not dissolve without heat, but if you add heat, they will. Most users assume that those particles floating around in their spoon are actually particles of dope so they feel they have to heat it to get all the "dope" to dissolve, but obviously its not dope, its cut.

Tar you are supposed to heat, you are right about that, but it does more harm than good to heat powder.

Last edited:
Well, being as how I am one of the few remaining people in the universe that doesn't know everything, thank you for clarifying six. Now I know! :)

Tar dope is def real heroin. ive had some tar that was better than powder before. but where in live in the US, we dont get very much tar here, its all powder. I got smoe tar this once that looked like slate, when mixed with water the shot was 100% black. for some reason i figured why not heat it, and when i did all the black dissapated out of the shot almost instantly leaving an amber yellow shot. The filter had a little bit of blackish, oily residue in it. i usually never cook my shot tho, always do a cold one. the best dope when it comes to IV is the fine light tan/grey pressed smooth texture rock colombian stuff.

when you crush it up and make a shot, it all dissolves with a quick stir and leaves a yellow to dark amber shot. no residue left in the spoon and nothing clogging the filter, and the filter should be pretty clean except for a little discoloration.

now if you shoot a pill of scramble you def have to heat it since each cap is an O size some are 00 there is a ton of powder inside, lots of cuts, some soluble some not. when you put the water in it usually thick so you have to cook to break everything down. or you could do it cold and make due with the filter that will prolly clog. benefit is you got all the water soluble cuts and not much of the insoluble ones, which would translate into particulate matter if you got them in the rig somehow.

where as if you heat the shit out of it till everything forms a uniform solution you get everything in that pill in your shot. everyone that shoots scramble cooks it and they all say they are addicted to the cuts. i always thought that was weird.

The only reason I ever cook dope is to break down (tar heroin). When I get my standard powder, I never cook it.

You really don't even have to cook tar but I just choose to because otherwise it's a bitch to stir lol :)

i used to cook my dope, til i realized it didn't do anything to help and i was getting more powerful shots cold-cooking. it seems like a good amount of posters here are getting low-quality tar. there is such thing as great tar that can be better than a lot of powder. the tar i get is probably medium-high range stuff. 0.1g will dissolve in 80 units of water in 3-5 minutes without heat. it will leave very small pieces of cut at the bottom of the solution while the liquid is dark yellow or light brown. using a 30 ga. needle and cotton filter i NEVER get any visible particulates in my rig. never any pain or skin reactions... it's very easy to see a register and a good dose will keep me high for a GOOD 3 hours.

only dopes use dope?

rollingsixxxes said:
to kill bacteria you have to cook it for a good 15 minutes... google it. so i know that part isnt true. and obviously i know you have to cook tar for the most part. duh. im talking about real heroin. powder. ive noticed alot of people arent cooking it and im just wondering why and if there is ANY difference.

FIFTEEN MINUTES!!??are you serious?
HAVE YOU EVER SHOT DOPE OR HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE SHOOT DOPE?? I don't think more then 10 seconds tops with a bic lighter or matchstick is neccessary. more then that and it's over kill. and i mean kill/dead as in evaporation. all you are tryin to do is get the heron to blend into the liquidmix. overheating your mix can and will cause any cuts/stretchers to jell up and you''l lose the shot. but what do i know i am presently i'ving 2 bundles a day 5-7 stamps per fix and i've been using since 1984.
I remember the times when we would car pool into the bronx and of course always being ever so eager and so clever i did witness more then once, my fellow dope fiends dumping contents of bag/stamps into said pin/syringe and then opening door of car and leaning out and drawing up water from puddle of water. and if they were lucky it was running water from an open fire hydrant.....then you shake then shoot. fun fun fun who could wait till they got home? were talkin nice s/e/a white h,yummie

Last edited:
^ Yes he is serious, but I dont think its that long. Its more like 3 - 5 minutes, but the fact that quickly heating your dope does not kill any bacteria is still true.