• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin. to cook or not to cook?

kadaj said:
i used to cook my dope, til i realized it didn't do anything to help and i was getting more powerful shots cold-cooking. it seems like a good amount of posters here are getting low-quality tar. there is such thing as great tar that can be better than a lot of powder. the tar i get is probably medium-high range stuff. 0.1g will dissolve in 80 units of water in 3-5 minutes without heat. it will leave very small pieces of cut at the bottom of the solution while the liquid is dark yellow or light brown. using a 30 ga. needle and cotton filter i NEVER get any visible particulates in my rig. never any pain or skin reactions... it's very easy to see a register and a good dose will keep me high for a GOOD 3 hours.
WOW!! i couldnt imagine... why not go to a gas station and get some water out of the sink!! talk about one minute of your life that is worth while!

kadaj said:
i used to cook my dope, til i realized it didn't do anything to help and i was getting more powerful shots cold-cooking. it seems like a good amount of posters here are getting low-quality tar. there is such thing as great tar that can be better than a lot of powder. the tar i get is probably medium-high range stuff. 0.1g will dissolve in 80 units of water in 3-5 minutes without heat. it will leave very small pieces of cut at the bottom of the solution while the liquid is dark yellow or light brown. using a 30 ga. needle and cotton filter i NEVER get any visible particulates in my rig. never any pain or skin reactions... it's very easy to see a register and a good dose will keep me high for a GOOD 3 hours.
What the fuck are you doing injecting 80 units of water? That's the reason you aren't getting a good high when you cook it. Try cooking it with like 20-30 units. You'll get a much better high.

blackdog said:
FIFTEEN MINUTES!!??are you serious?
HAVE YOU EVER SHOT DOPE OR HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE SHOOT DOPE??
I remember the times when we would car pool into the bronx and of course always being ever so eager and so clever i did witness more then once, my fellow dope fiends dumping contents of bag/stamps into said pin/syringe and then opening door of car and leaning out and drawing up water from puddle of water. and if they were lucky it was running water from an open fire hydrant.....then you shake then shoot. fun fun fun who could wait till they got home? were talkin nice s/e/a white h,yummie

haha, ive done that a bunch of times. back load the powder and use puddle water or melted snow to mix with. shake and shoot. baaaad for you tho. always gotta filter.

i seen the needle and the damage done

sixpartseven said:
^ Yes he is serious, but I dont think its that long. Its more like 3 - 5 minutes, but the fact that quickly heating your dope does not kill any bacteria is still true.

seriously think about this ...matter of fact try this at home,get 30 units of water from a 1cc pin and squirt it into a soup spoon and hold a flame under it first for 15 minutes ,then do it again fot 3-5 minutes, and again for 15-30 seconds and see the temp.too much heat will cook the dope out of the solution first of all or jell the cuts. especially if they are pharmacuetical.
and most of all i don't know of too many junkies that have the patience to wait more then they have to, to boot up. i mean if it turns to solution without heat then there wont be any heat used at all.just bang zoom.
dawg,
oh wait a minute........you guys are talking about tar? oh shit man i'm all about east coast powder a nice off white or light brown. and you put the water on it, a few flicks of warmth from your lighter and you can smell it asking to be sent up yer tubes i/v. it gets the color of coca-cola and you'll be smacking your lips in anticipation getting a little jittery as you tie up and proceed to stick that pin of liquid pleasure and warmth and well being into your bodie. oh baby let the lady HERON wrap her arms around you and hold you tight in her everloving embrace......yummie

Last edited:
rollingsixxxes said:
to kill bacteria you have to cook it for a good 15 minutes... google it. so i know that part isnt true. and obviously i know you have to cook tar for the most part. duh. im talking about real heroin. powder. ive noticed alot of people arent cooking it and im just wondering why and if there is ANY difference.

It takes cooking for that long to get rid of all the spores and to make something absolutely sterile. But boiling it for a short time will kill most of the bacteria and inactivate many of the viruses and reduce the risk...

needles and pinz ah

Groovy guru said:
It takes cooking for that long to get rid of all the spores and to make something absolutely sterile. But boiling it for a short time will kill most of the bacteria and inactivate many of the viruses and reduce the risk...

it seems i've a lot to say concerning said subject.
remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
also a dogs mouth is supposedly cleaner then a humans.
i have never used an alchohol prep never ever in 24 years of fixin dope.
i've used the same pin fer weeks at a time.
also the same bottle of water for weeks at a time.
what i'm saying is my body probally would go into shock from a sterile solution?
peace /respect dawg,

Groovy guru said:
That's the reasoning I use.

As for cooking dissolving more cuts... I've never experienced this. All the dope I've ever cooked has been completely dissolved, as least to the naked eye, before any heat has been applied. Now, a few times cooking it did precipitate a black film on top of the dope. I figured that it was a specific cut reacting to the heat. A cotton picked up all of the visible black shit. That dope sucked, and it only happened with one or two batches.

Heating for a little bit, until bubbles are visible at the bottom of your cooker, isn't going to fuck up your shot. Why not do it? The potential benefits outweigh the risks, IMO.

I do not cook but I do boil my water beforehand. I have never had a problem and I am pretty sure as others have said that any length of time with a lighter and a spoon is unlikely to hurt bacteria or other nasties.
edit-this is east coast, downtown brown powder heroin

Last edited:
I read this whole thread and Im still torn between whether to cook or not to cook. I just told my friend to stop cooking because i thought i knew what i was tlaking about, now im going to have to tell him I have no idea what im talking about and to do what he wants.

bow-viper1 said:
What the fuck are you doing injecting 80 units of water? That's the reason you aren't getting a good high when you cook it. Try cooking it with like 20-30 units. You'll get a much better high.

J/w, why does less water matter, isn't it the same amount of dope?

^^ yeah i think his point was kind of (completely) ridiculous. in fact, when you are cooking (even when your not, but it makes less of a difference then), i figure it is better to have more water that not because some will ebaporate, but if you evaporate 5 units and you only have 30 unites total thats a bigger percentage of your mix than if you have 80 units and 5 of it evaporates.

plus, the more water the better because there is always some amount (albeit small) of liquid left in the spoon (a thin film and/or some in the cotton), so again the more water you use overall the less concentrated it is and the less you lose when you can't get every last drop. AND if you lose any squirting out the top of the syringe to get all the air out or by missing part of a shot, again you will lose less for all the same reasons..

simple math.. losing/missing/evaporating 5units out of a 80 unit shot is a lot less wasteful that losing 5 units out of a 20-30 unit shot..its simply being cautious to use more water. plus ive heard its better on your veins, it stings less (when its tar) and if you miss a few units at the end or something you dont lose half your shot.

you dont get "a much better high" from only using 20 units of water as opposed to 80. thats just absurd. you might have felt that way because its quicker to inject 20 units and the rush might come on a tiny bit faster but i highly doubt that. chalk it up to placebo if it isnt just blind speculation on your part.

some people say cooking it kills some of the dope, but that isnt possible seeing as heroin evaporates at 275 degrees C and water boils at 100 degrees C, meaning you solution never gets any hotter than 100 degrees, therefore it never gets hot enough to "kill" the dope.

one thing you want to keep in mind when cooking though, be sure to let the solution cool sufficiently before pulling it up into the rig. its not good for obvious reasons to inject a near boiling solution. if you dont have time to wait do what i do and leave 10-20 units in the syringe after you fill the spoon, and squirt that room-temp water in once you are done cooking to cool down the solution.

Last edited:
has anyone mentioned that cooking is sometimes necessary?
like the op, i too hail from chicago and the dope i get simply will not dissolve if heat is not added, you can stir that shit all you want and it it will simply become a suspension, with the undissolved shit floating on the top.

i dont know about the bacteriocidal benefits of cooking dope but, doing so always yields a more uniform solution, i dont know if that is because the cuts are dissolved by the heat and therefore you have a potentially more toxic situation, but then again i'd rather inject a fully dissolved cut than one which is only half-so.

there are a few rare instances in which i can prep the shot w/o having to cook it, but this is usually because the water to dope ratio is close to 2:1. as its been mentioned before, the more water the less cooking. But personaly i always bring the solution to a boil for a sec, and then stir, and finally inject.

But if you do cook, always remember, let that shit cool, you dont want to inject water close to the boiling point.

Happy shooting!

blackdog said:
seriously think about this ...matter of fact try this at home,get 30 units of water from a 1cc pin and squirt it into a soup spoon and hold a flame under it first for 15 minutes ,then do it again fot 3-5 minutes, and again for 15-30 seconds and see the temp.too much heat will cook the dope out of the solution first of all or jell the cuts. especially if they are pharmacuetical.
and most of all i don't know of too many junkies that have the patience to wait more then they have to, to boot up. i mean if it turns to solution without heat then there wont be any heat used at all.just bang zoom.
dawg,
oh wait a minute........you guys are talking about tar? oh shit man i'm all about east coast powder a nice off white or light brown. and you put the water on it, a few flicks of warmth from your lighter and you can smell it asking to be sent up yer tubes i/v. it gets the color of coca-cola and you'll be smacking your lips in anticipation getting a little jittery as you tie up and proceed to stick that pin of liquid pleasure and warmth and well being into your bodie. oh baby let the lady HERON wrap her arms around you and hold you tight in her everloving embrace......yummie

I never said that you should cook your dope for that long. Im on the side of this argument that says its pointless to cook it at all. And BTW, you arent supposed to heat pills when you shoot them for that exact reason.

And no, Im not talking about tar. I said tar is the only dope that should be heated. Im on the East Coast too and my shit dissolves like snow when it hits water, so there is absolutely no need to heat it.

Arsteraad said:
has anyone mentioned that cooking is sometimes necessary?
like the op, i too hail from chicago and the dope i get simply will not dissolve if heat is not added, you can stir that shit all you want and it it will simply become a suspension, with the undissolved shit floating on the top.

Those are the cuts. The heroin will dissolve readily leaving any cuts that arent soluble floating on the top. You dont want that dissolving.

sixpartseven said:
Those are the cuts. The heroin will dissolve readily leaving any cuts that arent soluble floating on the top. You dont want that dissolving

i know they are the cuts, but i find that if i don't dissolve them, they clog the rig, also hw sure are you that the heroin dissolves perfectly into water, maybe yours does because youre on the east coast and the shit you get is purer. Also not all powder is the pure hydrochloride salt, its possible that some batches can be more basic than others, but hey you seem to know a lot more anout what im referring to here, so defer my judgement.

blackdog said:
it seems i've a lot to say concerning said subject.
remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
also a dogs mouth is supposedly cleaner then a humans.
i have never used an alchohol prep never ever in 24 years of fixin dope.
i've used the same pin fer weeks at a time.
also the same bottle of water for weeks at a time.
what i'm saying is my body probally would go into shock from a sterile solution?
peace /respect dawg,

wow.
is this supposed to be some kind of poem extolling the virtues of being a dirty ass motherfucker when IVing shit and breaking all the basic rules of the harm reducton philosophy?

Youre hardcore man 8)

Do not follow this guys advice 8) dawg 8)

Groovy guru said:

so you say if i heat up my needles i can share them, cause the heat will destroy the HIV virus 8) righty-o man, righty-o...

Sorry, but you are full of it =D

// I'd like to invite you for dinner and educate you about bacteria, viri, and spores man. Did you finish biology in high school?

rave23 said:
so you say if i heat up my needles i can share them, cause the heat will destroy the HIV virus 8) righty-o man, righty-o...

Sorry, but you are full of it =D

// I'd like to invite you for dinner and educate you about bacteria, viri, and spores man. Did you finish biology in high school?

Actually, I have a doctorate in biochemistry.

Re-read my post and see what I actually did say.

If you get a chance some time in your career, try plating bacteria and phage at too high a temperature and tell me what happens to the titer...

^ haha pwned. ^

i always cook..clearly it will not sterilize your solution, but im pretty sure it will kill some of the bacteria and if you are unlucky enough to have viruses in the shot maybe a couple of them will be destroyed too.

he was ''pwned'' because the guy claims to have a doctorate in biochem?

you know its amazing that you actually have any spare time to take off the lecture circuit and devote it to the illumination of our base minds. Just joshing though, i'm sure you more than deserve the doctorate that you possess and the privllege/salary that goes along with it.

I'm just sick of the word "pwned'', confine that shit to online gaming.