• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin. to cook or not to cook?

blackdog said:
I remember the times when we would car pool into the bronx and of course always being ever so eager and so clever i did witness more then once, my fellow dope fiends dumping contents of bag/stamps into said pin/syringe and then opening door of car and leaning out and drawing up water from puddle of water.

That made me scream IRL

I suggest you read the forum rules before posting again. -GenericMind

Last edited by a moderator:
SpunkySkunk347 said:
That made me scream IRL

unfortunately most i.v users come across these kind of situations

I used water from a toilet once , and vowed to always carry a water bottle and clean cotton from that day on , and well now i do.

ROFL Who cooks OxyContin? Thats what I want to know! *facepalm* I'm with everyone else, heat tar/cold powder.:! (even though I've never seen tar(no tar in Michigan that I'm aware of)

I'm not a heroin user however I'm intrigued, surely you could purify the heroin in some sort of solvent via filtration and leave yourself with a pure powder?
Or is tar already impure and still has a combination of morphine and bits of opium in it still?

I know this would be too much effort for most but if you are only an occasional user surely it would be preferable to use a pure product.

You can purify, both forms, but you're putting in effort and you're gonna lose some of the active drug. There are a few threads about purifying dope.

I know this would be too much effort for most but if you are only an occasional user surely it would be preferable to use a pure product.
It is preferable, but if you are an infrequent user, well, you wouldn't be using that much...

Using black tar, I've never heated, just stirred until dissolved, but used a .2 micron luer filtered syringe for bacteria.

hello bro. doesn't the filter absorb alot of the sloution ? i mean if you fix 1 shot, dont ya lose some or most in the filter itself ? dunno just courious.

To cook or not to cook...

Why is that the question? Is the cost of a micron filter really so exorbitant? 0.22uM will filter out all bacteria/viruses, and no cooking is involved.

hello bro. doesn't the filter absorb alot of the sloution ? i mean if you fix 1 shot, dont ya lose some or most in the filter itself ? dunno just courious.

Not if you use a real syringe filter. Hydrophobic filter elements (usually a Teflon/PTFE membrane) won't absorb any solution at all.

Yes he is serious, but I dont think its that long. Its more like 3 - 5 minutes, but the fact that quickly heating your dope does not kill any bacteria is still true.

5 seconds at 100'C will kill everything bacterial but bacterial spores (Bacillus & Clostridium species). Why do you think UHT milk lasts for ages? it's only heat treated for a few seconds but kills all the bacteria that make it go off.

It takes 15 minutes to kill some viruses (like hepatitis C), but for the most part rapidly heating it to boiling is a sensible move - just think, if it's been brought in by bodypacking, it's been separated out by people who've been handling things covered in shit (which is mostly bacteria from the gut). As mentioned beforehand, endocarditis or septicaemia are to be avoided at all costs

Is the cost of a micron filter really so exorbitant? 0.22uM will filter out all bacteria/viruses, and no cooking is involved.

They don't filter out viruses

How long do most viruses live when not in vivo?

Depends on the virus.

For example, Hepatitis B and C can exist for a long, long time (nearly indefinitely?) when outside the body.

AIDS/HIV would not live that long outside of a human body.

I learned this somewhere along the line...forgot who but I remember it to be true.

Can anyone relate?

Heroin is not heated to avoid contamination but rather to treat soluble or poorly soluble adulterants and dilutents. IF you have very impure heroin , chances are it will require a decent amount of hear ("decent" being all of 5 seconds). Some forms like Tar (an Acetate)will take alot longer, or rather short but repeated heating and agitation.

That said, contamination does happen, espcially with the afore mentioned Tar, Botulism anybody? Microns, as Fast correctly noted will not catch viruses. They are 3 times as effective as say cotton, and are great for cleaning up tablets (getting out all the talc, starch, and what not).

Heating the 3 or 4 seconds most users apply is not going to hurt it so why not err on the side of safety?Even in Cambodia when I was IMing as pure as it gets I was heating.All it takes is one misstep to ruin your life. 3 or 4 seconds is not going to cost you that much of your experience so better to just do it.

CaptHeroin: HIV exists outside the body, absolutely, since you can gain it fromn a utensil this should be self evident. However, it does not survive long and must be in the correct medium to survive at all.

HCV (AKA Hep-C), which I have by the way, does not survive indefinitely but does survive much more heartily than HIV IF given the proper medium. All in the medium.

I've never understood why people worry about destroying drugs with heat. You always hear about how morphine is destroyed above 70*C, yet you see vids in the news of the Taliban cooking large batches of opium by boiling them in steel barrels over open flames for extended periods of time. Water boils at no less than 95* in Afghanistan.

And what about heat killing psilocybin? I've seen people bake shrooms onto pizza at 400*F and then eat it and trip balls.

Seems to me like a brief heating/boiling is nothing to worry about.

I've also wondered the exact same things for the same reasons Fail Fighter.

I want to add that when I stated "get HIV from a 'utensil' I was referring to a syringe, not a fork as an English speaker miight easily think. One cannot get it from saliva of course and the connotation might be negative so I wished to calrify that.

I did it as a post rather than a re-edit because I wanted it to be expecially noted by anyone who might have assimilated the information I provided.

Fail: While I agree that the short exposure to heat is not going to be that harmful to the alkaloids, using Afghan cooks is not the best analogy. They have the lowest yields in the world. While the rest of the world is getting 10:1 ratios on morphine extraction they are lucky to get 7:1 and this could be due to their long exposure to heat (instead of a couple of hours which is neccessary, the cook for more than 24 hours!).

Well there you go - a full day of cooking only destroyed 30% of the yield. So what's a brief boil going to do? And there's also people who boil PPT and it doesn't affect the yield.

Sounds like heat is less of a problem then people originally thought. Maybe someone try cooking a shot and not cooking one, test out both and see what the difference is ?

Fail: But the point Fail, is that they are also just about the only source country that boils its opium. Others bring it to boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Still, the point is that a 3 or 4 seconds with a match is not going to be a perceptible degradation, at least to my way of thinking.

I will settle this now with a few facts and common sense... dope IS souble in room temperature water.... so mix water a dope... and it will ALL dissolve into the liquid! anything that doesnt dissolve is a cut, not dope, and not something u want to bang! If you heat it up... these other cuts will get to there disolving temps and become part of the liquid!! So dont heat! your just melting more cuts into the mix!!!

Best case senario--

1. Mix with cold water , stir
2. filter with cotton to remove cuts
3. clean spoon and spray back into spoon
4. heat to kill germs
5. suck back into syringe using cotton!

Great idea right! This makes everyone on both sides of argument happy