• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

what's the best street fighting style?

arizona83 said:
Most of the bigger guys tend to just want to slug it out punch for punch.
I disagree. Fedor Emilianenko is a Sambo and Jiu Jitsu grappler who wins by submission a lot. Randy Couture is a Grecoroman wrestler. For those who don't know, Fedor is the all-time best heavyweight in K1 and Pride, Couture is the all-time best heavyweight in UFC. Grappling is more important than striking in all the weight classes.

demons said:
There are Mixed Martial Arts leagues like UFC and Pride where people fight in what is basically a street fight scenario with only a couple rules like no eye gouges. Jiu Jitsu is the most dominant martial art by far in MMA.

It all started when Hoyce Gracie beat Bruce Lee. Good striking is good vs other strikers, but once a grappler closes the gap, the striker has no choice but to grapple. Jiu Jitsu > all.

Krav Maga is overrated. No one in MMA uses it. After Jiu Jitsu is Grecoroman/traditional wrestling, Sambo, and then striking techniques, best by far Muay Thai--a good elbow strike is devastating--then boxing, TKD, and Karate.
When did Hoyce Gracie beat Bruce Lee? Because when Bruce Lee died Royce Gracie was 7.

You're right.. someone showed me a video and said it was those two years ago but I just checked and you're right. Oh well.

Anyway, the Gracies beat a lot of the best strikers.

Doesn't sound like you read a word said about MMA earlier on. MMA doesn't have weapons and doesn't allow cheap shots. MMA is strictly one on one. MMA is fought on a brightly lit, flat, padded floor with a fence around it, not in say a crowded nightclub or a dark alley or even your own home.

Also, the Gracies have been beaten themselves. I remember in one of the early UFC's Royce Gracie beat Kimo (a Tae Kwon Do fighter), but Kimo injured Royce bad enough that he couldn't compete for the rest of the tournament. It may have been that one that was won by a substitution fighter trained in ninjutsu.

any combo of eye gouging and knees to the crotch are the best. also fish-hooking, biting, finger snapping and throat punches.

his substitute was an nyc cop who beat ken shamrock in the finals if i recall correctly... what a great fight kimo v. gracie was....

I've always been under the impression that plain old boxing is by far the most effective style in a real fight.

Krav Maga is overrated. No one in MMA uses it.

that's because a lot of its moves are illegal in mma. shits all about the ball neck combo.

Based on the very little I know, I wonder why people don't talk more about aikido..supposedly one of the best defensive systems around.

I think the best street fighting style would be some kind of improvised and melee weapons training. Not sure if there is a formal "style" that teaches this specifically.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned in this thread is the size of your opponent. You might be a middle weight fighter and are used to taking/delivering punches to another middle weight fighter. So, what happens when that huge beastly man who outweighs you by 100 pounds starts wailing on you or gets you underneath him on the ground?

The same thing goes for multiple opponents. I mean honestly, do you really expect your fighting skills to do much for you when you're outnumbered?

It's these two things that make me think improvised weapons skills are the only way to go. There is always a weapon around if you're skilled in using various types and can get a bit of space for a second.

When you bring a weapon into the mix it gives you a huge advantage over your opponent if you know how to use it. Also in terms of multiple opponents a weapon can disable someone extremely quickly and you don't have to lay on the ground holding them or punching them in the face repeatedly while their friend comes at you.

Plus if you pick up a weapon the other person is likely to pick something up too. Now you're fighting weapon against weapon and odds are extremely likely they have zero training. When someone is holding a weapon they tend to focus on it so even if this person had some fighting training they're more likely to ignore that and just focus on fighting with the weapon which they have no skill with.

Anyway, I think the best "style" you can have is being beat up a lot and beating up other people a lot. Training in any "style" really won't amount to much if you find out that someone punching you in the arm sends you to the ground crying or you hit someone directly in the face and it has no effect. Get what I mean?

that's because a lot of its moves are illegal in mma. shits all about the ball neck combo.

Yeah, they really need to implement death matches in MMA because all the fights are pussy right now. I'd rather watch a Navy seal go hand to hand with a Taliban than an MMA fight anyday. Isn't there someway we can use inmates on death row or something to make these fights a reality? Maybe let the winner get out of prison and the loser just gets their sentence anyway. I mean, it's kind of a win win situation.. one person gets another chance at life.. another gets their sentence at the hands of another killer so there is no executioner to feel bad.

Last edited:
Mehm said:
Based on the very little I know, I wonder why people don't talk more about aikido..supposedly one of the best defensive systems around.

Because a martial art that is both complex and relies on almost nothing but compliant partner training is a fantastic way to get your ass beaten up.

Last edited:
Honestly though I think the best street fighting style is good street smarts and a sense of humor. I can't count the number of times I've avoided a fight by staying smart and funny.

When I used to live near Los Angeles practically every other day on the way home from school someone would ask me, "Where are you from?" and I'd always say, "No where." and I somehow think if I responded with anything else I was in for an ass kicking. Closest I ever came to it from the, "Where are you from?" people was when one of them kept insisting I must be in one of those "skater gangs" but luckily a cop happened to drive by and they all took off pretty quickly.

So, yeah.. that's my last bit of advice. If you want to test yourself as a fighter do it in the ring not on the street. Even if you're well trained and think you can take anyone you simply don't know if that person is gonna stab you or shoot you or his friends are gonna show up and stomp on your head. Street fights are ugly especially when someone else starts it because most people who like to start fights with random people love to have their friends neardby or a weapon or whatever to make sure they maintain some kind of unfair advantage. That kind of person isn't looking for a fair matched fight.

I'd say talk first, run second, fight last.

Kul69 said:
Honestly though I think the best street fighting style is good street smarts and a sense of humor. I can't count the number of times I've avoided a fight by staying smart and funny.

Bingo. Best way not to get hurt it a fight... dont fight. Second best... win the fight before your opponent knows there is a fight.

I was told Jeet Kune Do was pretty good.
What the Foreign Legion teaches is pretty good which afaik is a combination of most styles, drilled into them till perfection.

mooncaller said:
Because a martial art that is both complex and relies on almost nothing but compliant partner training is a fantastic way to get your ass beaten up.

Very valid. However, Aikido masters certainly train against real attackers....I think it takes a good 30 years to get to that point though. Probably not a system that the marines are going to teach.

I once downloaded an Aikido guide; the whole thing focused on talking one's way out of a fight. No physical moves were mentioned at all.

I kind of disagree with you all about training. Even though fighting in the ring isn't life or death as it is in the street, it still comes really close to simulating an actual fight. Experience is never a bad thing. Training also teaches proper strikes, throws, and submissions. Without this knowledge a person is really just flailing.

mooncaller said:
someone might not respect the tap

that is really fucking scary. fighting FTL

atri said:
any combo of eye gouging and knees to the crotch are the best. also fish-hooking, biting, finger snapping and throat punches.

throat punches. yes.

Mehm said:
I kind of disagree with you all about training. Even though fighting in the ring isn't life or death as it is in the street, it still comes really close to simulating an actual fight. Experience is never a bad thing. Training also teaches proper strikes, throws, and submissions. Without this knowledge a person is really just flailing.

I agree, any training in any type of fighting whether its boxing or jujitsu is going to help in a real fight. In boxing, you learn how to actually punch, when to punch, when to not punch, when to block and when to attack. If that doesnt help you in a real fight i dont know what does. :\

mooncaller said:
The mentality that a fighter should step into a ring fight with is that the referee and rules are there to protect the other fighter from ME.

The referee is there to pull ME off of THEIR bloody unconscious body.

The rules are there so that I maybe don't drop a couple dozen spiking elbows onto their face and beat them so retarded they can't feed themselves and so ugly that their mother wont do it for them. Because I am here to maul whatever gets put in the ring with me before they can even begin to think about putting up a fight.

The perception of a fighter should be that combat sports are put in place so that those of us who relish slamming our knees into someones jaw again and again, those of us who enjoy the feeling of literally exploding someones nose across their face with an overhand right, those of us who take sick pride in observing just how much we can actually fuck someone up with nothing but our physical body will have a venue to do it in, with like minded types, where we can maul each other in relative peace without anyone having to go to jail at the end of the day.

A lot of the combat athletes I know...and myself aswell....are not "sport fighters" because we want to "play" a "sport", we're "sport fighters" because we like to beat the shit out of people on a semi regular basis. You've got to be at least a little bit of a sadistic fucker to get into these games, when you love violence to the point where you make pursuing violence in the most brutal manner allowed by law your HOBBY and not just something that "might happen on the street" you're at least bit fucked in the head.

I think it's funny that people feel that because a combat athlete is relatively courteous to their opponents (who we respect) in the ring that that same courtesy is going to be extended to someone who goads us into a fight outside the ring. That we're still going to play by the same rules and respect the tap.

Lastly, If you step into the ring with the mentality that the ref is there to save you and that your opponent will play nice then you've already fucked up. For one thing that's just a weak mentality to go into a fight with.

For another people get injured, people get crippled, people die. I watched a guy get his heart stopped by a kick in an amateur kickboxing match not more then a few feet from where I stood and not more then an hour before I fought in the same ring.. If they didnt have a difibulator on hand at that tournament that dude would be dead. Not sport dead, Not dead till the referee tells him it's cool to come back. Just plain old dead. "Protect yourself at all times" isn't something they say at the beginning of every fight because it sounds pretty.

well i don't really know if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me here
(sounds like an ego inflation), but i find it hard to believe that a streetfight would go down the same as a regulated one. sure, there is no doubt that training in any kind of combat sport will increase your chances. but you're missing the point. what happens when a gun gets pulled out, bam, peace out.
there's no rules against that kinda shit, like if his 12 other buddies decided to jump in too.

i wasn't trying to say that fighters rely on refs to protect them, i agree, if that's their mentality, they're fucked. but don't deny the role of the ref/rules compared to a anything-goes situation. i'm sure you want that ref to step in when your opponent lands one under the belt.