• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Morphine vs. Heroin

Deep Kick

Bluelighter
what is your preference?

what differences do you notice?

a few studies of addicts show they have no preference when taking M or H IV'd... i'd think oral or insuffilated heroin would be slightly more euphoric and slightly faster of a rush... i've had M IV'd and drank it, and only snorted H so i can't really compare...however M drank feels almost as good as sniffing H...

i read that...

The pharmacology of heroin and morphine is identical except the two acetyl groups increase the lipid solubility of the heroin molecule, and thus the molecule enters the brain a bit more rapidly. The additional groups are then detached, yielding morphine, which is what causes the subjective effects of heroin. Therefore, the effects of morphine and heroin are identical except that heroin is slightly more potent and acts slightly faster.

(wikipedia 'morphine' page)

^^ i found that to be pretty interesting ^^

IV Heroin is far and away the better of the substances.

^ i assume so... but can you explain why? the rush is stronger and hits quicker? is there any subjective difference like for example between hydromorphone IV and heroin IV or oxycodone IV?

I found the IV morphine high to be lacking. Never tried heroin, might one day though. The best in my opinion has been either IV fentanyl or IV hydromorphone.

I read that same study the OP is talking about.

Here is more of it (the bolded parts are the most interesting part of the study, but reading the whole thing is good read):

In a study comparing the physiological and subjective effects of heroin and morphine administered intravenously in post-addicts, the post-addicts showed no preference for one or the other of these drugs when administered on a single injection basis. Equipotent doses of these drugs had quite comparable action time courses when administered intravenously, and on this basis there was no difference in their ability to produce feelings of "euphoria," ambition, nervousness, relaxation, drowsiness, or sleepiness. Although the heroin abstinence syndrome was of shorter duration than that of morphine, the peak intensity was quite comparable for the two drugs. Data acquired during short-term addiction studies did not support the statement that tolerance develops more rapidly to heroin than to morphine. These findings have been discussed in relation to the physiochemical properties of heroin and morphine and the metabolism of heroin. When compared to other opioids — hydromorphone, fentanyl, oxycodone, and meperidine — post-addicts showed a strong preference for heroin and morphine over the others, suggesting that heroin and morphine are more liable to abuse and addiction. Morphine and heroin were also much more likely to produce feelings of euphoria and other such subjective effects when compared to most other opioid analgesics.

SOURCES:

W. R. Martin 1 and H. F. Fraser 1

1 National Institute of Mental Health, Addiction Research Center, U. S. Public Health Service Hospital, Lexington, Kentucky

Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics, Vol. 133, Issue 3, 388-399, 1961

I at one time was able to get hold of 10mg made for injection morphine pills.

Heroin has the better rush, but I would rather he pharms than the street drugs. you know the dose and know they are safe.

Personally, I do find IV morphine and IV heroin to be the most intense and euphoric opiate high.

IV hydromorphone just doesn't have legs - all bark, but not bite, basically. Though the rush is quite intense (I would say more intense then heroin and morphine's rush, but not by all that that much).

IV oxycodone isn't even worth mentioning here among the "big dawgs". It's junk compared to IV heroin/IV morphine and IV hydromorphone.

Oxycodone should play within its own weight division - with methadone and hydrocodone. Hardcore IV morphine/IV heroin and IV hydromorphone are on a level oxycodone wouldn't be able to hold a candle to.

GreenMachine said:
I found the IV morphine high to be lacking. Never tried heroin, might one day though. The best in my opinion has been either IV fentanyl or IV hydromorphone.

I guess everyone is different. If you found IV morphine "lacking", then it's likely that you will also find IV heroin "lacking". Heroin is a morphine prodrug. Heroin exists only in the external form, so there really is no such thing as "heroin". Once in your body, it quickly converts to morphine which then strongly binds to the opiate receptors and then ba bang ba boom, you're stone out of your mind.

What I am trying to say is that heroin IS morphine with two acetyl groups added to the original morphine molecule. The two acetyl groups increase morphine's lipid solubility. The two acetyl groups also just basically kind of act like a "propeller", pushing morphine across the BBB at a slightly faster rate than the original morphine molecule.

IV hydromorphone is all talk and no walk. Fentanyl is even worse. Only the inital rush from those two are intense, other then that - both are all bark and not bite.

Morphinator said:
I guess everyone is different. If you found IV morphine "lacking", then it's likely that you will also find IV heroin "lacking". Heroin is a morphine prodrug. Heroin exists only in the external form, so there really is no such thing as "heroin". Once in your body, it quickly converts to morphine which then strongly binds to the opiate receptors and then ba bang ba boom, you're stone out of your mind.

What I am trying to say is that heroin IS morphine with two acetyl groups added to the original morphine molecule. The two acetyl groups increase morphine's lipid solubility. The two acetyl groups also just basically kind of act like a "propeller", pushing morphine across the BBB at a slightly faster rate than the original morphine molecule.

IV hydromorphone is all talk and no walk. Fentanyl is even worse. Only the inital rush from those two are intense, other then that - both are all bark and not bite.

Exactly, heroin is a prodrug of morphine and basically breaks down into morphine, but the chem. structure of the heroin sends it to your brain faster. That's the reason most opiophiles will pick the junk. I IVed both many times, and prefer Heroin, hands down, no question.

But in regards to fent and hydromorph, they each have their respective amazing/orgasmic rushes, which is what many look for just as much as the high itself (including me ;)). I combine it with heroin to add duration to the high. It is true bliss, but it could just as easy as true death...if ya know what I mean.

Here are the chemical structures of Heroin and Morphine:

Heroin:

220px-Heroin-2D-skeletal.png

Morphine:

200px-Morphine-2D-skeletal.png

As you can see, they are virtually identical. On the heroin molecule you see the two acetyl groups attached to the left, on the morphine molecule, it's identicle . There is no such thing as heroin. It does not exist, it only exists in the external world. In vivo, it is quickly converted into morphine, and i is the morphine that binds to the opioid receptors and causes all the good stuff.

Heroin in itself is basically nothing. It's a morphine pro-drug (and believe it or not, it is an inactive substance - until it reacjehes your veins and turns . Morphine is the mother of all narcotics, BL'ers should know that my kmo

Here are the chemical structures of Heroin and Morphine:

Heroin:

220px-Heroin-2D-skeletal.png

Morphine:

200px-Morphine-2D-skeletal.png

As you can see, they are virtually identical. On the heroin molecule you see the two acetyl groups attached to the left, on the morphine molecule, it's identicle . There is no such thing as heroin. It does not exist, it only exists in the external world. In vivo, it is quickly converted into morphine, and i is the morphine that binds to the opioid receptors and causes all the good stuff.

Heroin in itself is basically nothing. It's a morphine pro-drug (and believe it or not, it is an inactive substance - until it reacjehes your veins and turns . Morphine is the mother of all narcotics, BL'ers should know that my kmo

Why the double post?

Also, it's not straight heroin to morphine. There are intermediaries that are active as well. (6mam and 3mam)

There is no such thing as heroin. It does not exist, it only exists in the external world.

Lol...OMG, her01n do3znt ex15t? 0h no3zzz!

A better way to describe heroin to the laymen would be to say that it's a pro-drug; it doesn't have much psychoactive effect itself, rather your brain changes the molecule to create morphine. The purpose of the prodrug is to provide slightly better potency and, of course, the rush.

Also, it's not straight heroin to morphine. There are intermediaries that are active as well. (6mam and 3mam)

6mam specifically is something they can drug test for and tells the tester right away that you have been using heroin, as opposed to another opioid.

Last edited:
only sniffed H a couple of times, got me nodding, but feels a bit more dirty than pharmaceutical grade morphine iv'ed... so unless it was pure H, i would say morphine (uncut)...

Mr Blonde said:
6mam specifically is something they can drug test for and tells the tester right away that you have been using heroin, as opposed to another opioid.
Yes, it's an indicator that heroin has been used. Also, it could be an indicator that 6mam was used. (Highly unlikely. But it can exist by itself.) :)

heroin all the way. the overall high feels pretty similar, but its the rush thats makes it more preferable. ive always liked IV morphine tho, back in the day i liked to bang about 30mgs mixed with a little bit of coke, you get the coke rush and the pins and needles. i cant even remember how many times i puked from that combo.

morphinator: Just because morphine and heroin look structurally similar doesn't mean much. Slight variations in a given molecule can make a huge difference in psychoactive effects. Converting morphine to diacetylmorphine vastly increases morphine's lipid solubility and therefor makes it much easier to be absorbed in your body.

Also, it could be an indicator that 6mam was used.

Lol, yeah, I forgot that. Is there any recreational abuse of 6-MAM? Is it used in medicine or anything? How does it compare to heroin or morphine?

Morphinator said:
Personally, I do find IV morphine and IV heroin to be the most intense and euphoric opiate high.

IV hydromorphone just doesn't have legs - all bark, but not bite, basically. Though the rush is quite intense (I would say more intense then heroin and morphine's rush, but not by all that that much).

IV oxycodone isn't even worth mentioning here among the "big dawgs". It's junk compared to IV heroin/IV morphine and IV hydromorphone.

Oxycodone should play within its own weight division - with methadone and hydrocodone. Hardcore IV morphine/IV heroin and IV hydromorphone are on a level oxycodone wouldn't be able to hold a candle to.

I am a rather avid user of K4's as I can get them regular and cheep. I would not say thought that they have a better rush than heroin or morphine. The rush can be good if you do a good bit but still not as good as morphine or heroin. As far as the duration goes I like to skin pop some and then shoot the rest, this makes it last longer and you get the rush.