Burning Man Festival 2008 - 8/25-9/1 - Black Rock City, NV

Burningman!

I am going, and camping in hushville (its nice to come back to a quiet place at night when you want to sleep).

I went in 2006 and had a blast, and I expect this year will be fun too.

I know people from camp wabi and from the temple of all gods collective, but don't know if they are going this year.

This time I am going to be putting ointment up my nose early so i don't get the bad nosebleeds I got last time.

pm me if you are going to be in a nifty camp, I might swing by and give you something :)

Can't wait to go home to black rock city.

yeah, we might arrive there on tuesday as well. hmmm, so can you chose in advance where you're going to camp?

^ yes and no. a lot of the camps are pre-placed by the burning man organization but there is also a ton of open camping. here's a map of the city layout. the parts in blue are reserved and the rest is open for anyone. the areas closest to the inside will fill up very quickly, so if you don't arrive until tuesday (or later) then you will probably end up camping a bit further away from the action. read the website for answers to almost every question you can dream up: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/

Sorry about the multiple posts, my computer was freaking out.

I'm excited to be camping near to the abstininthe bar :)

fortune has smiled on me :D

do you guys want to plan a specific meet up or something?

your chances of pulling off a successful meetup (of near strangers no less) at either root society or opulent temple are slim to none. both of those camps are huge and will be packed with hundreds if not thousands of partiers during peak times. coordinating with people at burning man is incredibly challenging for a number of reasons. i would recommend picking somewhere very specific and meeting up during the day as early in the week as possible if you're really committed to the idea, but my guess is that your priorities are going to shift once you actually get to the desert. i'm lucky if i even know what day it is out there half the time, haha.

either way, i expect a full report from all of you upon your return :)

I'm thinking about bringing my turntables but I'm not even sure if the generator for the RV would be be able to power the amp. @lterego, I remember reading about you taking your turntables to burning man. What did you power them with?

^ they were powered with a generator. most things out on the playa that plug in are powered with generators. we've had various sizes over the years as our sound system has grown, but when we were smaller a little genny on the back of my buddy's conversion van did the trick. you'll need to take a look at how much power the RV generator puts out and then see if that will pump enough juice for your system.

haha - this is turning into the "ask a jaded veteran" thread. i'm happy to answer any other last minute questions for people heading out next week though, so fire away :)

^Well, if you want, I will be at 7 and Dart on 4pm on tuesday. Look for the dude with a orange tigger hat and a red camelbak and say "hi yucatanboy" :)

yucatanboy2 said:
^Well, if you want, I will be at 7 and Dart on 4pm on tuesday. Look for the dude with a orange tigger hat and a red camelbak and say "hi yucatanboy" :)

yeah yeah, I'll be there too :D

burning man was amazing.

meeting red arrow at a playground was pretty random.

ill post up pics when i get the chance.

Yeah dude, it was awesome...

a 50 ft ketchup bottle that was a frenchfry stand
Dj dan and carl cox rocking the opulent temple
Margaritas and jello shots along my road
Watching someone walk on glass at center camp
Drinking at a one-man tiki bar at 4 in the morning
Dust storms lasting for 10 days

I swear the LSD to person ratio in that city was the highest ever

yeah those dust storms were killer. if you got free LSD, chances are you got them from my friend from our camp. he had like 170 hits of acid that he would keep giving some away like hotcakes.

i got to dj at the happy hour camp on farlane and 9:30. which was pretty fun to do. kept getting tacos and water.

lol, great stuff bren!

staroceanhouse looks totally BAKED in that photo. ;)