Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
all right then forgive my ignorance but i havent heard any songs from either of these bands. could anyone recomend some song worth getting

Lmao thats like asking the proverbial what if....My personal Choice For The Grateful Dead would have to be King Bee, Mr. Charlie, Or Anything live from 1966-1972

I'm gunna have to go with my favorite band of all time, The Dead. I love phish's jams, and i really cant wait for this summer's tour... but The Dead will always be #1 in my book

Same for me. Phish has made my jaw drop at times with the crazy stampede their jams have evolved into; but the Dead just have an intangible quality that makes it a sort of spiritual experience. I feel like Phish's sound tickles the upper regions of my brain, whereas the Grateful Dead touches my soul.

They are two completely different concepts and sounds, but the Dead at their best (eg. 3/1/69 and shows of that caliber) are just in the highest bardo of musicianship; those boys were, as the Blues Brothers would say, "on a mission from God." :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the dead. I feel like I don't "get them" like some of you guys do. It's not from lack of experience either, I have a good amount of dead shows on my computer, including some the "the greats". I enjoy them very much when I'm in the mood, but I don't feel the magic like you guys talk about. I actually do feel it with phish though.

I guess the different strokes thing is true.

i can't possibly make a choice.........

the dead on one hand are what got me into the whole scene back in the 90's, but i only caught the last few years of the band with jerry.

Phish, well i got to ride out tour all through 95' to 2000, so phish brought me to some great places.....

I think i already posted in this thread but ill say again: Stupid question :p I have to go with phish though, basically for the same reason that amor fati stated. I just don't feeel that special thing with the dead...they're great and all, but phish takes me there. The dead doesn't.

Im not a big fan of either, but I said the dead because I like the song friend of the devil. My favorite song from phish is contact.....

all right then forgive my ignorance but i havent heard any songs from either of these bands. could anyone recomend some song worth getting

Here's one of my fave phish songs (only audio for the first 40 sec's, check the lightshow!) The Squirming Coil-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oidROxGXzVM&feature=related

and prolly my favoritest video on youtube, you can see the psychedelia in the air...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsa9M6izTA0&feature=related LOL with such joy! at 1:40

*dancin happy*

Rebuttal?

By the way, you gotta stick around for "The Squirming Coil" until the end; the piano jam outro is really what the song is all about.

The Grateful Dead, of course.. I could never quite understand PHISH... Never really cared for their music

You've gotta be kidding me.

Phuck Phish.

obamadead2.jpg

Yes Sir, PHUCK PHISH!!! Although I'm a Libertarian and never agreed with "The Dead" supporting OBAMA... If Jerry were a live I don't believe that would've happened.. GOD BLESS THE GRATEFUL DEAD!!

As a Phish fan I don't feel the compulsive need to hate on the Grateful Dead so why do many GD fans feel the need to hate on Phish? I like both bands. If you don't like Phish, fine, but no one gives a shit if you do or not.

Enjoy your Rat Dog shows in all their mediocre glory. :p

haha... I don't really hate on Phish.. I just kinda appreciate the above Phuck Phish post... It's a Philly thing I guess. I don't know enough about Phish to really hate on them.. Obviously, you give a shit FINDER, because it bothered you enough to write about it.. Sorry to dis PHISH and offend you buddy... Like I said, I should't hate on something or even comment, for that matter, on something I really know nothing about.

You seem to have missed my point. First off, I was speaking generally, not at you specifically. Secondly, I really don't care if people like Phish or not, what I said was I don't understand why so many GD fans feel the need to hate on Phish--that's what bothers me.

You seem to have missed my point. First off, I was speaking generally, not at you specifically. Secondly, I really don't care if people like Phish or not, what I said was I don't understand why so many GD fans feel the need to hate on Phish--that's what bothers me.

Yeah man, I understand what your saying. I personally don't know many Phishheads and the ones I do like The Dead also. I really don't know of any Deadheads that hate on Phish. Most Deadheads I know really just never heard them or got into Phish. And the ones that I know that have listened to Phish, pretty much dig Phish... Ya Mean?

Enjoy your Rat Dog shows in all their mediocre glory. :p

Hey now:(
Bob Weir is the fucking man and Ratdog is awesome, but sadly their days are just about through...considering Furthur will be touring heavily in '10....Winter Northeast tour was announced yesterday....can't wait to see them at Cornell (Barton Hall!), Lehigh University, University of Delaware and Radio City Music Hall on my birthday.

GD>Furthur>Rat Dog>Phish=D

its just narcissism.

both bands are great but different.

Some people enjoy one and not the other. Some enjoy both. Some enjoy neither.:\

no such thing as bad music IMO. its just not all music is for everyone.

still haven't heard any of their songs
i guess i'm kind of boycotting them because of the hype
plus they have beards (i think. maybe i'm mistaking with zz top)