Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
panic in paradise said:
the dead.

i tried a few phish albums, but, i cant help but get irritated by them, trey seems like a real dumb dick too.

every member of the dead, except maybe bob(heheh) had/has some incredible side projects, the blue grass jerry would make, is umm, heaven.

They all had/have incredible side projects, including Bob Weir! Kingfish and Ratdog come immediatley to mind:)

obviously im in favor of the dead, (c'mon guys, they INVENTED "jamband" music), although Phish's instrumental compositions are far more complex and technically demanding.

Robert Hunter's lyrics blow phish lyrics out of the water. i dont think anyone would argue that.

and on the guitar styles of Jerry vs. Trey....

Jerry's influences were chuck berry, blues, bluegrass etc. he played BANJO and acoustic guitar, he only set out to learn electric when the 'warlocks' were first formed. i mean, what would trey have sounded like if he were born in 1942? lol

in music, instrumentalists build upon the technique accomplished by musicians who preceded them, and it just keeps evolving. to ask who was a better guitar player would be like to ask who was the better improvisor: louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker? its just not a logical question

Trey is the result of a different era, and different influences. He's got a modern sound, unique tone ( as did jerry) and brought 'jamrock' guitar playing to a new level.

to me though, its like apples and oranges, you Shouldnt compare them

If you wanna compare their personality/character, that might be more interesting. Jerry is a symbol of kindness, peace, he was always humble, willing to talk to anyone, and was always trying to improve his playing, and the bands sound. Trey on the otherhand is a flaming arrogant asshole... i mean please.... just watch bittersweet motel

I vote......The Allman Brothers...but since that's not an option I'll settle with the Dead, simply because if there was never the Grateful Dead there would have never been Phish.

^I disagree. While the world may never know, phish had much much much more influence than just the grateful dead. Have you ever even listened to phish?

Have I ever listened to Phish? Have you ever listened to the Dead? I never said their only influence was the Grateful Dead, I said they wouldn't be here without them, Phish's influence can't be approximated from any one band.

And to answer your question, I was part of the 85k+ fan's at Big Cypress to open the new year....so yes I've listened to Phish just a little bit in my day.

Delsyd said:
Looks like grateful dead takes the cake on this one.

(i vote GD aswell btw).

And the reason the two are compared so often even though the soun dis completely different is because they are the 2 biggest "jam bands"
or they both were used to distribute large amounts of LSD unto the public. =D

>>
to me though, its like apples and oranges, you Shouldnt compare them>>

Oranges are tastier by far.

ebola

I'm much more of an apples fan, myself. And by apples, I mean the Grateful Dead.

Ok. I may be the opposing voice here, but I like both bands. They don't compare to me in any way, however. It would be hard to choose because I cannot compare them.
Did I just repeat myself? Ugh.

n1274400066_30040040_6270.jpg

Phish is solid, but I never crave listening to their music like I crave the Dead's

Im not doing much this summer show wise. I gotta save up to pay the remainder of my bill in September for the Ratdog Daze in Jamaica at the end of January ROCK ON! I think I'll do All Good to see Phil and Friends, though.

I think when Phish comes back it will give the scene a good kick in the ass and things will def turn up a notch.

i think if phish comes back it will be the unbelievably lamest thing ever

michael said:
i think if phish comes back it will be the unbelievably lamest thing ever

Probably about as lame as The Other Ones, Rat Dog, "The Dead", Phil and Friends, et cetera. 8)

i'm not sure about that, because those dudes actually seem interested in it. trey does not, has not, and my guess is that something would have to seriously change in his attitude for the tour to be successful musically. and as time goes on, i see this as less and less likely to actually happen.

this is not to say that some people wouldn't hail it as the second coming.

i'm not really about to see any of those other bands either, and i find myself caring less about them with every iteration of their bands.

Last edited: