Phish vs The Grateful dead

So what is it BRAH?

• Total voters
the grateful dead is hands down the greatest band ever in the history of the earth.

i started listening to phish about 4 years ago, mostly their studio albums and then to 100% live (as with the dead). phish is "fun". when dead tour stopped phish tour in the 90's (see 94-99) was pretty happenin ;). specially 97.

listen to the sing me back home from 8/1971 (on dicks picks 35, what im listening to at the moment)...TELL ME THIS IS NOT THE GREATEST MUSIC EVER.

the actually heirarchy is

grateful dead
allman brothers
widespread panic
phish

I don't (or at least I try not) to pass judgementon Phish or The Grateful Deap from the fact th tjey're not intact. Of course because tthat's why the judge were repelled by the system.

Trey rips it up way better than jerry ever could

Jerry can play more silky smooth beauty than trey ever could.

I think that about sums it up.

You've gotta be kidding me.

Phuck Phish.

obamadead2.jpg

Life may be sweeter for this? I dont know, see how it feels in the end.

the dead.

i tried a few phish albums, but, i cant help but get irritated by them, trey seems like a real dumb dick too.

every member of the dead, except maybe bob(heheh) had/has some incredible side projects, the blue grass jerry would make, is umm, heaven.

Phish, hands down, because it takes real talent to scrape a running vacuum cleaner hose across your fat belly and call it music. You play me a clip of Jerry Garcia playing the electrolux on his gut and then we'll talk but until then, Phish are the kings of anything involving the word hippie.
Or tripping.
Phish revolutionized tripping! Sure the Dead brought it to the mainstream, but Phish allowed people to trip while watching their favorite band soar across the audience in a giant hotdog! Until then, music lovers could only hallucinate giant hotdogs filled with people but Phish turned the hallucination into a reality allowing for even stronger, intenserer hallucinations! Plus Phish copywrited the word hippie so now The Dead aren't even allowed to use that word anymore unless they spell it with a y like hippy. You know, the lame spelling.

Where's the option of "they should both be raped by excessively cute woodland creatures?"

;)

drew345 said:
I guess I will continue the recent trend of vs threads.Personally im going with the dead because they were revolutionarys even though phish definatly wrote better songs.

Come again? Phish wrote better songs, are u serious? I love phish but their lyrics are whack... GD's songwriting was WAY better, especially the Hunter songs. How can you compare songs like Ripple, Eyes of the World, Standing on the Moon etc... with stuff like Wolfman's Brother?

phan said:
Trey rips it up way better than jerry ever could

Jerry can play more silky smooth beauty than trey ever could.

I think that about sums it up.

This sums it up??

JosephTHeSequel said:
Come again? Phish wrote better songs, are u serious? I love phish but their lyrics are whack... GD's songwriting was WAY better, especially the Hunter songs. How can you compare songs like Ripple, Eyes of the World, Standing on the Moon etc... with stuff like Wolfman's Brother?
They both have there good and bad points. Phish has some quality writing to like Nothing,Free,wading in the velvet sea,A song I heard the ocean sing. and the dead has some shitty songs as well.

the dead does, and it sucks that those are the ones that get radio play.

ive talked to too many people who heard truckin, casey jones, and touch of grey, then drew the line there for what to base their opinion on.

how many songs have they written or covered?!? i couldnt imagine.... 1000+?!?

HAhahah. THis is funny. It comes back to this little thing me and my friend always notice. At shows, there's always these annoying as fuck hippies just constantly talking about which Phil lesh show was the best, or who the guy with the best doses is, or what the best phish or dead date was. We call it pure hippy bullshit. And it's funny as shit. THis is what's going on here. pure hippy bullshit.

Get over it, they're both amazing bands and you guys are turning into a bunch of politicians with all this mindless utterly useless arguing. Phish is better technically, but GD is better period. That's it.

China Rider said:
Which band is more versitle?

Grateful Dead
I totally disagree. Phish played nearly every style of music known to man throughout their live shows and albums, sometimes in the same song.

The Dead stayed more rooted in their familiar sound, sometimes veering more towards country or bluegrass or jazz here and there. During their live improvisational sections, the underlying chord progressions and rhythm stay within their original motif most of the time. This is not to discount the Dead by any means, thats just their style and its amazing.

A versatile musician is one that can play a variety of styles of music well. The same goes for a band.

phan said:
HAhahah. THis is funny. It comes back to this little thing me and my friend always notice. At shows, there's always these annoying as fuck hippies just constantly talking about which Phil lesh show was the best, or who the guy with the best doses is, or what the best phish or dead date was. We call it pure hippy bullshit. And it's funny as shit. THis is what's going on here. pure hippy bullshit.

Get over it, they're both amazing bands and you guys are turning into a bunch of politicians with all this mindless utterly useless arguing. Phish is better technically, but GD is better period. That's it.

I love both bands. But I think it is funny phan that you go and talk a bunch of shit about what you call "hippy bullshit." You say this thread is "pure hippy bullshit." What has been happening in this thread is discussion on which band is better. You then say "they're both amazing bands.... and utterly useless arguing." But you then drop your own opinion "Phish is better technically, but GD is better period. That's it."

I disagree with that statement. I question what makes you such an authority on the subject that you say that as if it's fact and the discussion needs to end there. You talk a bunch of shit because we are arguing what you think is a pointless subject, but then you feed into what you call "a pointless argument." I guess you are one of the hippie nerds and you just don't know it... yet... Wanna PM me and talk setlists?

Last edited:
Totally, man. I agree. Just a thought that I noticed. I'm only human. I have to admit that my post was contradictory, but it is true. I didn't mean to come off offensively.

Just so you know, though, phish is better. It's like comparing Wright bro's plane with a fuckin jet fighter. Sure, the wright plane is beautiful, couldn't have it any other way, but the jet fighter beats it hands down. admit it.

listen to live shows from the 70s, a lot of dicks picks are good choices

it is by far the best live music ever played. phish brought no emotion. jerrys guitar had the ability to move thousands to tears at points (this happened). the grateful dead is the king of jambands and the greatest band to ever play music. they were the music of a revolution, the 70s. phish brought on neo hippies. phish scene died people of hard drugs in lot and in the band (well, trey).

smack did kill jerry, though. he was MUCH older and IMMENSLEY(sp? stoned;) ) more accomplished than trey anastasio.

grateful dead

/thread