Does race matter

FrostyMcFailure

Bluelighter
When it comes to lifting does anyone think a particular race has an edge or anything like that?

i kinda think lighter ppl are better at weight lifting and wrestling darker are better at kickboxing and running. europeans seem to be the strongest

Although there are small differences in the genetics of different ethnic groups, I haven't seen anything I would regard as substantial evidence that there's a particular advantage one way or another in sports. (For instance, US basketball is mostly black athletes, while UK soccer is mostly white athletes...yet both sports make pretty much the same demands in terms of coordination, speed, cardiovascular capacity, etc.) I think cultural forces are the big factor when one ethnic group or other is over-represented in a sport.

Good point with the cultural influence but i cant help but wondering, African american's were forced to act as slaved for a few hundred years when North American civilization was supposedly an adolescent. And they mainly only reproduced with their own kin due to inter racial breeding laws etc.

say james worked the field for 50years and got mad strong bc of it, then he breeded with marry who did the same for 50years & this repeated itself many hundreds of times through out different generations, would it be easier for their off spring to build muscle & speed then it would be for some one who was created by weaker families of people who were forcing the slaves to work for them? Maybe this explains the NBA

genetics doesn't work like that. also, your understanding of history is very flawed.

There undoubtedly is variation in human genetics from 'race' to 'race' - I put race in ' ' because we are all VERY similar genetically so distinguishing between groups of homo sapiens and calling them 'races' is in my opinion pretty damn stupid. The major differences aren't recent though.. they are thousands of years old. for example, Eskimos and other native American people adapted to survive on low carb diets because they were primarily hunter societies. This doesn't mean that because X ate nothing but protein/fat, his offspring were better suited to that same diet, you can't alter your genetics through behavior or experience. What happens is that of 20000 or so people, only so many survive on the diet to produce offspring, those who survive had different genetics and passed them on, and the process took thousands of years to occur.

For muscle mass its hard to say which race is best suited. Ronnie Coleman is black and Jay Cutler is White and there are also some Asian competitors with good size... so I think it might just be irrelevant.

Last edited:
NOT trying to be racist at all...

black people seem to be harder to knock out - ALL of my friends including black people say they're more primitive so they hit hard and can take a beating even though back whenever 1600-1800s boxers were all white and fought for like 40-65 rounds.

white people seem to make good MMA fighters usually best on the ground.

Asian people seem to make good mma fighters usually with crazy offense - flying axe kicks and shit.

as for lifting? it's like personal genetics if your 5'8 220lb ur going to lift more than someone 6'1 220lb but then you can also be genetically strong having a higher mycofril fibres over sacrophague (spelling is definately wrong) volume your going to have more efficient muscles pound for pound. I see tons of very strong asians and usually they're small, short and skinny I see many large built black men at the gym (wow that makes me sound like a homo) I think it's like ethics or something black people seem to like to live up to im a big strong black man stereotype...

My answer - no race has a edge on lifting weights.

Thanks for contributing Flavoraid, for a green lighter those were pretty astute statements. & no worries, its fairly obvious your not a racist to everyone who doesn't have to cry about discrimination when they hear the words "black and white" in the same sentence.

The theory behind the slave argument for stronger black genetics is simple. Black people in slavery times were thought of as property. Now, if you were a slave owner, would you want stronger or weaker slaves? Stronger, so you'd have the stronger father/mother more children. It made economic sense. It's cold, but so is economics.

I've also heard Germans seem to get bigger easier and quicker.

Genetics is a funny thing though, and a "black" person and "white" person could have closer genetics than two "white" people.

^^ thats true ,butactually the slave owners "bread" them ,stongest with the strongest /biggest with the biggest ETC. ETC. so imagine what yars and years of that kinda so called "breeding" wuld produce.....if you want to know look at todays "black americans"...

if atmosphere had mch to do with it ,jewish people would pro suffer the most as ALOT of the jewish "race" dies/got killed so alot of the genetcis were lost

not to soundlike an asshole but i would rather be a "black slave" than jewish and made to watch my friends family die in the ways they did,s id take slavery over that anyday man oh man my simpathy goes out to every jeish family that had to deal with that

that bein said yu dont even NEED to have great genetics to be a pro ,look at dorian,alot of people that he looked weird but he brought every thing together for the stage

so thats the way i see it as long as you know how to get your shit together for that "moment" than the olympia would be yours,of coarse you gotta play the MASS game like the rest of the pros

I think to a certain extent we are over estimating the intelligence of the slave owners, though there is no doubt that some of the more enterprising owners did in fact try to "breed" a "stronger" slave and etc (also keep in mind that large musculature does not equate to a more productive slave...)

But keep in mind that african-americans make up only a very small percentage of total world "black" population, so the breeding explanation is very limited in scope.

One may also try to argue that because people of african descent have an average height greater than any other race (and therefore longer appendages), the "appearance" of musculature on average may be less visable than on those who are shorter. But perhaps this tendency to grow vertically can be applied horizontally, fostered with heavy training of course, especially at a younger age (taking advantage of the GH and etc).

Honestly I am not sure, and as others have said it is almost entirely an issue of individual genetic potential. I suppose its possible for this "genetic tendency" for large musculature to occur more frequently in certain races, specifically in those of african descent...

Evidently early man (homo erectus) had some pretty serious musculature, which actually doesnt make sense to me, but...

there are definately differences in physical characteristics in different races of humans. Asians tend to be shortish and lightly built, pacific islanders are big and muscular, caucasians are about what we would say average and negros are generally tall and strong. Obviously that is extremely general and there are hundreds of different races in between and within that there is much overlap of genetics.

In terms of lifting weights no race seems top be head and shoulders above others, more down to individual genetics and training. However I think eastern europeans like Bulgarians or Romanians or something are tanks for lifting heavy bars, from observing the olympics etc.

I agree culture does come into it and what they are exposed to and what they tend to enjoy. But for example the 100m sprint is undisputably the domain of black negro runners, all races have had a fair crack at running as fast as they can and none are as fast period. Swimming is dominated by white caucasians basketball by tall strong fast american negros. Soccer I think takes a variety of characteristics and skills so it is not dominated by a certain race, caucasian, south americans and asians are awesome at soccer and I would imagine american negros would be good at it also if they played it but they don't very often. If they did I would bet shorter and faster more agile black guys would play rather than 6ft 10 dudes.

Black guys and nordic guys tend to put on mass easier then others, primarily asians(from what i've seen). I've only seen a handful of asians who were anywhere near my size (and were definitly clean). I could be wrong, but my chinese buddy can bench 40 more pounds then me (315) , and he was in horrible, horrible shape. He shot test weekly, and drank a six pack every night, while I drank nearly a liter a night. He was stronger in that ONE lift then me, but evrything else including appearance was less.

My genetics were pretty fortunate to me, and i ahve no idea how i got big while I drank. Probably just that nordic dutch/polish viking blood fighting through, haha. However i know black dudes who DO NOT juice, drink tons of beer, eat like shit, and are still big and not fat.

I feel like everyone is guessing based on stereotypes. I dont think we know anything wihtout studies being conducted? I also dont think anyone here is racist, a very good discussion imo. I wish i could contribute more, but I really have no idea what the truth is.

From the jailhouse training I've watched, blacks just DO put on mass and get definition easier than whites. Hell, we bred them for those traits!

you know how many little black kids i see with six packs?

god damn.

No way you can tell me black people havent been "bred" by slavery to be more jacked. It's like they do one push up and already have killer arms!

slavery in the USA lasted 249 years. I very much doubt that was enough time to cause significant genetic drift.

Any other arguments are pretty much irrelevant. Slave owners weren't so much concerned about producing athletes as they were producing a large quantity of slaves because slaves were so expensive and the supply was falling / demand was rising.

culture accounts for the huge amount of professional black baseball, basketball, and football players in my opinion. Same cultural phenomenon would explain the huge amount of professional white power lifters, swimmers, golfers, hockey players, etc. Its not that either group of people is genetically better than the other its just that they are raised from a young age to want to play particular sports.

Last edited: