Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

Which one?

• Total voters
^^ True of course, but it's fun to argue about... gets people to express their thoughts and feelings and analyses which can be fascinating to hear!

Monty Python - Argument Clinic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&NR=1

Pull this up next time you and friends are buzzed... you'll all be ROTFL in no time! Watch it all the way... the last millisecond before the blackout is a genius ending to a brilliant skit.

how can you compare the two? They are completely different bands.

I think that is the point.

Anyway. Pink Floyd will always get more votes because to be honest they are more superficially satisfying. Led Zeppelin on the other hand will always have the more die hard fans because they are the acquired taste that deeply satisfies.

No joke though. Floyd would have been my pick before I, uh, discovered Led Zeppelin. Honestly I don't really listen to either anymore. Maybe I should do a revisit.

Edit; And I actually think this is a great comparison. Both bands are British monoliths from the same era, both catered to same counterculture and yet they are completely different, to the point where you would never claim to like both equally. Pink Floyd laid the foundation for album based, introspective, technology heavy music whereas Zeppelin laid the foundation for what to do with an electric guitar, a bass guitar and a drum set.

Last edited:
really? pink floyd over led zeppelin? wow.

zeppelin no contest. jimmy fuckin page dude.

Jimmy...Fuckin...Page. John Paul Jones and Bonzo are a rockin fuckin rhythm section. I love a lot of Led Zeppelin, but there is also a chunk I am not fond of. And Robert Plant...that cat can sing, but sometimes his voice gets to me. However the sheer brilliance that is Led Zeppelin far overshadows that. Live Zeppelin is transcendental. How any musician cannot have Zeppelin in their top 5 is beyond me.

Pink Floyd, oh man! Not a huge fan of Syd, but I appreciate his vision. I love More and Meddle, but Dark Side through The Wall are just masterpieces. I can jam Floyd anytime, rockin out to Obscured by Clouds, or straight chillin to Wish You Were Here.

Both in my top 5, cannot compare.

This is a tough decision because I like both bands so much....I may have to come back to this at a later date...

im not a big fan of hardrock, and i like more psychedellic stuff, thats why i choose pink floyd, even though i haven't listed to them in awhile

led is amazing, i can't deny that.

but holy fuck, have you guys watched the wall!? pink floyd has this level of understanding and amazingness that transcends everything known to man. I think you guys need to experience more floyd, man.

eat some mushrooms and molly then put the wall in your dvd player and try to tell me that pink floyd isn't a reincarnation of god, fucking try.

I probably already said this but it's pink floyd all the way. You really can't compare them to any other band out there. I fucking love them including the Syd Barrett stuff.

I love both bands a great, great deal.
Pink Floyd has the extra element of Syd Barrett, who seemed to have done too much too quickly and burned out before his time.
The loss of their friend and band mate colored everything PF did after Syd changed. You can hear their pain in the music and in the lyric.
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
syd_barrett_tights.jpg

Yeah everything they did after he left was influenced pretty much by him. It's such a shame he lost it but hey atleast he didnt die of suicide or a drug OD at 27 :\

He really was a crazy diamond

See Emily Play is probably my favorite song by Floyd. Would have been ace if Syd didn't lose the plot and carried on with the band.

Ya it's one of my favs too. I even like his solo album as weird as it is.

That 27 year old thing is some kind of curse. I feel bad for young adults today who are into old hippy/stoner music because if they have the slightest tendency for suicide, 27 is liable to fuck them up.

Syd only passed away a few years back from what I have seen in documentaries, he was already gone, long ago.

IMO, Led Zeppelin have a far better good:bad song ratio looking at all their music compared to Pink Floyd. Floyd have some epic songs that no Zeppelin song could match, but Zeppelin can get you rocking in a way Floyd never could. And their good:bad song ratio isn't as good as Zeppelin's. That's where I based my vote from because I don't think you can really compare the two.

IMO, Led Zeppelin have a far better good:bad song ratio looking at all their music compared to Pink Floyd. Floyd have some epic songs that no Zeppelin song could match, but Floyd have alot of shit too IMO. So their good:bad song ratio isn't as good as Zeppelin's. That's where I based my vote from because I don't think you can really compare the two.

For me it's the other way round. Floyd are pretty consistent in everything they do, imo. Though i agree that you cannot really compare either.

For me it's the other way round. Floyd are pretty consistent in everything they do, imo. Though i agree that you cannot really compare either.

Floyd = consistent?

They only went from doing psychedelic britpop albums, to the crazy 20 minute animal sound tracks in between until they made the increasingly refined trio of Meddle and Dark Side and WYWH, then they put out an unclassifiable single piece of rock music called Animals (probably my favorite, along with Meddle), only then to turn and do a show tunes musical which was followed up with a somber spoken word album.

Perhaps one of the most inconsistent bands ever.

I love Pink Floyd, their music has always touched my "brain" in more than one way.

But Led Zeppelin... fuck, their music touches and feels me up completely, every single cell of my brain and body.