Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

Which one?

• Total voters
ninjadanslarbretabar said:
from what i remember the movie was crap and the album only had 2 song from them

wiki check.. 3 song from them
i do remember that i liked one of the song and it wasn't a pink floyd number...

i didn't cared too much about Zabriskie Point...

oh but :

those are new to me and might deserve some care..

oh no no:) not the MOVIE soundtrack..

pink floyd released an album called The Complete Zabriski Point Session
it's about 15 songs long, most songs around 6 minutes long, some interesting improvisional experimetation, overlapping sound textures and lots of relaxing guitar instrumentals

heres a picture of it:
big.jpg

sorry for the misunderstading, it's not listed on amazon or any other major music outlet, but if you torrent around you can find it easily, and trust me, it's a whole world better than that movie soundtrack

yeah my fault, it had been a while since i last thought about that album, reminds a bit of a nice rainy day for some reason..

GratefulFloyd said:
n1274400066_30040040_6270.jpg

guess....
Pink Floyd to me may be the greatest band of all time, although I enjoy Led Zep I find Pink Floyd's lyrics and sound to more fit my style

omg <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

pink floyd FTW

heres something i had to make for my graphic design class, it had to be an ad promoting a show or album
thewall.jpg

nothing special

just showing my love for floyd

yeah I noticed that too..... someone should create the southern rock showdown.... Allman Brothers v. Lynyrd Skynyrd,, ..... has anyone seen that show on CMT about the origins of Southern Rock... it was all about those 2 bands

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
sorry but did you resurrect syd for that tour and left gilmour out ?
:)
(in reference of the guy to the right)

no thats how the pic was

images

Both Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd have had reigns as my favorite band. LZ around age 13-16. PF from around 20-23.
Unfortunately, I burned myself out on both of them. However, if I to be totally objective about it, I would pick Led Zeppelin over Pink Floyd.

My reasoning:
1. It took Pink Floyd a several albums before they really hit their stride. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, were fucking awesome from Day 1.
Meddle (PF's 6th album) was where Pink Floyd finally found their sound. Everything before that was pretty hit or miss. Some flashes of brilliance and a lot of experimental artwank.
Compare PATGoD to Led Zeppelin I. Saucerful of Secrets to Led Zeppelin II. Atom Heart Mother versus House Of The Holy. Led Zeppelin wins all of them hands down.

2. If you look at the totality of their work, Led Zeppelin has A LOT has crap.
Now, I can see how someone might make the case that Pink Floyd at their best was better than Led Zeppelin at their best. Dark Side pretty much trounces any Zeppelin album (with the possible exception of Houses IMO).

3. Led Zep were waaaaaaaaaaay better musicians. I know good musicianship does not always equal good band. If it did, we'd all be listening to Dream Theater.
But I bring that up because it brings me to my next point...

4. Led Zeppelin could play ANYTHING. Blues, folk, rock, country, weird Indian sounding shit... hell, even Floydian space rock.
Someone earlier in the thread said that PF was more diversified. If all you know about LZ is what you hear on the radio, I could understand how one might get that impression. But in my opinion, they are one of the most diverse bands ever.
Pink Floyd had only one kickass musician (David Gilmoure) but one of the secrets of their success was how they were able to know their limits and work within them. I could see how someone could make the argument that Pink Floyd were more innovative.

I will say that Pink Floyd had much better lyrics though.

yeah i do see pink floyd as more diverse
i think it depend on how or what you listen to in music
for instance you can find different people (or a freaking dog) signing and in different way in pink floyd
in led zep its mostly jimmy signing sweet or screaming high
when it comes to keyboard or guitar tone or what was use for drum...lot more diversity in pink floyd again

CletusVanDow said:
Zep on Ketamine is a life changing experience.

YES

first time i ever did Ket,

i was off my face, out my body, whatever,

"My Love" was the trippiest, craziest fuckin thing i ever heard.

i was convinced Led Zep were controlling the entire universe with their music.

listening to that song sober still messes with my head.

supertrav77 said:
I could see how someone could make the argument that Pink Floyd were more innovative.

yeah, the composition.

amazing songwriting.

Damn, that's tough.

I guess I'll go with Floyd, but it's sooo close. I love them in different ways, ya know? It's like people (who have kids) love their kids, I guess.

Floyd is for a cold winter night at home, sitting by a fire and watching the snow fall.

Zep is for hot summer nights, driving around with the windows open.

zeppelin definitely rocks harder.... floyd is to mellow for me at times, too spacey.