• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates/opioid constipation?

sonic said:
You're talking about olestra and they never pulled it off the shelves. They just had to put an unappealing FDA warning on their products which caused the demand to go way down. However, I think the actual bowel issues it caused were over-hyped.

How did they put it, 'oily stool' something something 'anal leakage'? lol If something like what he drew was trying to plow its way through my ass I think a bit of chip induced lube would be a good thing :D

I would say drink a lot of water.... when I was going through chemo and was put on oxy I got so backed up it was rediculous.... I didnt poop for about 8-10 days so I ahd to go to the hospital and get pumped with laxatives.... I later ofund out that water was the key

ATTN: GARUDA. This is the most important post you will read.

What you have developed is known as an anal fissure and they're more common than you think. They can be very mild and easy to heal with a few small, short-term diet and lifestyle changes or they can be so bad that they require surgery.

To heal an anal fissure you absolutely must do everything in your power to significantly soften your stool and keep it that way for at least a week, the longer the better. The best way to do this is with the use of stool softeners, laxatives, heaps and heaps of fibre and water and abstinence of opiates/opiods. Obviously, the latter is hard for you, but if getting high is more important than the well-being of your body then you seriously have a problem. Plus the bonus will be the fact that your tolerance will drop in the meantime.

Another very useful remedy is nitroglycerin ointment. This works by helping to avoid anal sphincter spasm which helps the tissue to heal significantly.

You should also check out this Anal fissure self-help page (http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/). It has heaps of information which I am sure you will find useful.

Hope it works out for you.

stool softeners are available otc almost everywhere, a bottle of 100 is like 5 bucks, take 1 and in like 5 or 6 hours your problem should be gone. I've had the same problem man so I feel your pain man, it sucks to have real hard poop that hurts like hell to come out, like litterally on occasion i have been screaming in pain. The stool softener really helps and has a built in gentle laxative quality so any constipation will be gone.

For anyone reading this who suffers from opiate constipation I have great news!!! I've had major constipation problems ever since my doctor bumped my oxycodone intake from 30mg/day to 60mg/ day. I tried Milk of Magnesia today and sure enough 30 minutes and (and again 2 hours later) I took the biggest dump of my life and feel so much better now I can't even tell you. For anyone suffering like I was try m.o.m. as it saved my life!!!!

Also, drinking lots of water makes a HUGE difference. I used to suffer from opiate induced constipation to a horrible extent (painful enemas and all those laxatives gave me stomach pains from the gas). Now that I drink a lot more water and juice, I wake up in the morning and am able to take a normal dump, especially after a cigarette (complete with that 'long flow of feces' that you're looking for). This is not too pleasant to talk about, but if I look at the shit I see that the 'clumps' you talk about are still there, but it all comes out together (no more pellet-popping, hooray!).

If opiate constipation is caused by receptors in the gut, shouldn't you only get said constipation from oral/nasal ROAs? Say you IV an opiate; how would it end up in your intestines?

However if you are bleeding when you shit, you should seek medical attention. Bleeding means an extreme form of constipation, and may have to do with things other than drug use. Take a two day break from opiates at the least, and if you are still bleeding you should seriously seek medical attention.
Hey, I dont want to go against the interests of harm reduction but; I do not believe a small amount of blood on your toilet paper or on the feces is an alarm to medical problems that would warrant an ER trip. even before I used opies daily, I would occasionally have a monster dump (the size n thickness of an athlete's arm) and there would be traces of blood. and on occasion friends and I report to see traces of blood, as well. its nothing to really be alarmed about unless you are not shitting for a WHILE, and it becomes almost unbearably painful. laxatives are your friend.

FYI, I had horrible constipation due to Oxy abuse (actually it started with PPT abuse) which lead to horribly painful and very bloody bowel movements for 3-4 months. I assume it was due to hemorrhoids, and although my stool wasn't compacted and my movements were regular, each movement felt like it was splitting my anus and it resulted in profuse bleeding.

I almost went to the doctor over it, but then I kicked my opiate habit and within 2 weeks the problem was gone. Everything healed up and went back to normal.

If opiate constipation is caused by receptors in the gut, shouldn't you only get said constipation from oral/nasal ROAs? Say you IV an opiate; how would it end up in your intestines?

The receptors are in your brain, not your stomach.

no, the receptors that control constipation ARE IN your gut... hence why loperamide that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier is effective and constipating.

FF- just like the drug gets in to your bloodstream to travel to the receptors in your brain (if the drug can cross the BBB) they get in your blood and travel to the receptors in your gut regardless of ROA.

I know this isn't a constructive post, but I want to see the picture that he posted :(.

Wow, I've never seen this discussed and was kind of embarrassed to bring it up myself. I completely feel for you. I'm in the same boat. I've been using opioids for years, and have had bad constipation for just as long. However, it wasn't until I got on Suboxone that it got really bad.

I was scared to death the first time I found out I was bleeding. I've gone over two weeks without dumping before, which has to be one of the most unhealthy things a human could possibly do.

It got to the point that I was terrified when I started to feel I was going to have to go soon. The pain is indescribable. I'd rather go through a day of cotton fever than the half an hour of excruciating pain that comes with going to the bathroom.

It would be quite a sight for someone to see what I go through. There is a lot of standing up and dancing around in agony. No matter how hard you try, you just can't go. Sometimes I'm afraid I'll faint it is so bad.

They could use my shit to pave roads - it's harder than cement :X

^How was what I said insufficient? The way it travels to receptors is via the bloodstream... whatever ROA you use, it will travel through your blood to the Mu receptors in your brain for the euphoria, sedation, analgesia, etc. and it will travel to the (primarily) Mu receptors in your intestines to reduce peristalsis among other things constipating effects.

Lol, oh wow - I didn't even see your post. How eerie; we both said "hence loperamide" %)

The gastrointestinal effects have nothing to do with the receptors in your brain. Hence Loperimide.

Still looking for an explanation...

actually baybyx was right. loperimide is an opiate but does not cross the BBB (blood brian barrier) it just is most commonly found in tablet forms made for oral consumption

what was the other question you prob can find by searching??

anyone ever find any help with just the fruits and veggies/ opposed to stool softeners and other made made ish

actually baybyx was right. loperimide is an opiate but does not cross the BBB (blood brian barrier) it just is most commonly found in tablet forms made for oral consumption

what was the other question you prob can find by searching??

What are you blabbering about? Everyone on this forum knows what Loperamide is, and we all know that it doesn't cross the BBB 8). Not in appreciable amounts anyway.

I was simply asking how opiates in your bloodstream end up in your intestines. I can see how your substandard reading comprehension would leave you confused, but it's a legitimate question, seeing as GI blood flow is isolated from the rest of the body. Perhaps I should brush up on my studies of the hepatic portal system.