• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates/opioid constipation?

I dealt with the problem with Rx Lactulose. Its a sweet-tasting syrup that you take 1-2x/day, 30cc. with a full glass of water. It pulls fluids into the colon....worked well for me.

As an almost daily opioid user I can relate-and am obsessed with getting in a daily poop. ;) I drink at least 4 water bottles full, about 3 cups of coffee, Lots of fruit, probably too much fiber, and to be honest-a 'colon cleaner' that I bought at whole foods. If by nightfall I haven't taken a good ol' poo, I pop two of those and I'm ready to go an hour after waking!

http://www.renewlife.com/products/cleansemore.aspx

I think the expectation of going each day is a bit off. Constipation is an almost-universal complaint from opiate users and it makes sense to take some counter-measures (ie: fiber, fluids, etc).

opiate constipation is the worst thing i've ever had to deal with in my life. its horrible.

Last edited:
Its amazing how easily we overlook the simplest answers. Drinking lots of water helped.

I've screamed on the toilet bowl before, whilst pushing out an anus buster. Boy was that embarrassing in front of my girl.

What do you do when you have this problem but you cant go without your pain medication due to Chronic pain from Crohns/Colitis?

Also, due inflammatory bowel disease change what you should do when you have this problem? It probably makes harm from this condition more likely.

This sounds like me, I have chronic pain from chrohns disease and HAVE to take pain medication. Talk to your Dr. and see if he can get you on some kind of cocktail to help you pass your stool. I had to try a few different things because with Chrohn's which I have the last thing you want is your bowels backed up. I had a bowel ubstruction last year and it was horrible. Don't let that happen to you it was sooooooo painful.

Speaking of chrohns I just did 19 days in the local hospital & barely got back home a few days ago so I feel your pain trust me! If you ever want to talk to someone who knows what your going through go ahead and PM me.

fuck i just ripped my anus in half from taking a shit and now im 48 hrs into w/d this shit is horrific,

apparently your ass takes forever to heal.. the wd is not even close to the pain in my ass... its anal fissure.....

i guess its good enough reason for me to quit opes...

please god let my next shit not be painful and bloody

this shit literally makes me wanna cry

fuck i just ripped my anus in half from taking a shit and now im 48 hrs into w/d this shit is horrific,

apparently your ass takes forever to heal.. the wd is not even close to the pain in my ass... its anal fissure.....

i guess its good enough reason for me to quit opes...

please god let my next shit not be painful and bloody

this shit literally makes me wanna cry

Sorry to hear about the extremity of the situation.

Your lucky the longest inbetween shits has been 4-5 days. Ive gone 2 weeks plus, now the norm for me is about a week give or take.. And when it comes its like 12inches +, hard as a brick, and extremly painful. Fucking methadone, i would do what some do and skip a day or two untill you shit but my clinic dosent allow you to do that..

How many mg's of methadone are you taking? I take shits daily without much problems and I'm on methadone too (70mg/day.)

Last edited:
Magnesium Citrate did it for me. I was constipated for 8 days, got so bad I couldn't take a deep breath. Had a whole bottle of Philips Milk of Magnesia, and a full bottle of Dulcolax Stool Softener in me, and had no luck, so I tried the Magnesium Citrate. Man that stuff forced the HUGE PLUG at the end of my bum to shoot out at a tremendous velocity (and not exactly unpainful either).

My lesson though is to not get backed up in the first place. If you are dosing regularly, make sure you are pooping regularly. If you aren't, do everything you can to clear out, and start again. I went 8 days before I used the Mag Citrate, but if this happened again to me, I would probably use it after the 3rd day.

Had a whole bottle of Philips Milk of Magnesia, and a full bottle of Dulcolax Stool Softener in me

Just for the record, this is a very bad idea to take this much of either medicine! Dulcolax alone made me feel poisoned and projectile vomit really strange acid just from taking three pills, which is the maximum recommended on the box. I can't imagine how you didn't get extremely sick from an entire box of that, let alone in combination with an entire bottle of Milk of Magnesia (which can kill you in overdose)...

To anyone that is debating doing this, it is not even relatively safe.

^Can you tell a little more about how those worked? I debated it recently, but I hadn't heard any experience relating to opiate constipation with them, so I'm all ears!

^Can you tell a little more about how those worked? I debated it recently, but I hadn't heard any experience relating to opiate constipation with them, so I'm all ears!
Sure thing: I had been on MMT @ about 100mg for a while, probably 6-8 months and was dealing with some really heavy duty constipation. I would go like 10+ days between BMs. My mother recommended this product to me and I gave it a shot. I put 2 of the supps up my arse, and within an hour i had a BM! No other laxative product in pill form ever helped me to go to the bathroom, but these suppositorys did the trick.

^Hell yeah, thanks for that. I was optimistic when I first read how quickly the suppositories worked, but I eventually started thinking that someone would have tried them by now for opiate constipation and they would have been discussed if they were that effective. I've been drinking poppy pod tea lately, which causes pretty bad constipation IME, so I'll probably end up giving these a try in the near future. I'll be sure to post back with how it goes!

I'm on 150mg of methadone a day and I take nothing to 'relieve' constipation and I take a shit either daily or every other day (usually daily though.) The constipation from the methadone is not a problem for me at all... while when I was abusing morphine I'd only shit maybe once every 4-5 days if I was lucky.

Methadone has never given me that many problems in terms of constipation. I usually take a shit in the late evenings daily. It's been good to me :).

Constipation

I'm sure all the opiate users know what I'm talking about, the bad constipation..

anyways my question is for the people that have used the product
"Fleet enema" personally, does this hurt at all?

I haven't shit in days and my shit is usually a big huge hard ball that wont come out. I'm just wondering when I use this is it still going to hurt when it comes out? sorry this is weird but thanks if you can really give me some answers.