• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can DXM be an effective withdrawal helper !

timetohunt

Bluelighter
I have some other recent threads out there that tell of my current attempt to get clean of opiates after about a year of being on pain meds finally culminated in a 2 week Opana Binge doing 100mg Oxymorphone per day.

This thread is really about something different. This is the morning of day 6 since last using Opana. I have been tapering with hydrocodone, 140mg down to 60mg over those 6 days. Its barely keeping me going, I crash a lot, but it has kept severe w/d at arms lenghts for now. I am at my last few, and I intend to CT after my last dose this afteroon. I have a few things I need to get done before going down.

Here is what this thread is about. As normal I woke up in the middle of the night with w/d setting it. For me, its the skin crawlies first, extreme sensitivity to temperature, aches, and miserably wide awake. So as I normally do, I grab a dose of hydro and down it. I have been using 25 or 30mg as my "wake up and feed the beast" late night/early morning dose. Half hour later or so, I start to calm and finish out my rest.

Well, last night was a little different. Since I only have 5 hydro 10s left, when the beast came calling right on time, I only fed it one 10mg, but I also took a couple swigs of robatussin DM with DXM. Here is the kicker. Its the best 'post Opana' sleep I have had. This morning I am up early and almost feel normal, like I could go to work. But we won't be trying that just yet, since I have been crashing at any moments notice and I still have to go CT over the next week.

What I am asking is, what just happened with the DXM? Someone in another thread said to try it, but left no other info.
Do you think I am just getting over the Opana, since its been 6 days now ?
Or can I use the DXM and expect it to help during my CT?
I am trying to pair out if this DXM will be useful during w/d or maybe its just that the heaviest use is 6 days behind me. It sure seemed to help last night. What do you all think?

DXM can help lower your opiate tolerance, but by itself I don't think it does much for opiate withdrawal. I think the DXM just potentiated the 10mg of hydrocodone you took which helped you sleep.
Check out phreex's guide to narcotic withdrawal. It is somewhat basic and dated, but it has some useful info.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=32895

i have to disagree. DXM for Me, completely blocked wd, even for 2 weeks straight when my meds got jacked. and always if i was out. it completely stopped wd, but i was taking 300-500 mg (relativly small for me, but larger than therapeautic dose).

oh the reason i took small recreational amounts, is because i had to function at work and i found at these levels i could interact with others Perfectly in fact better than normal and i work harder than normal. it gives me a great anti-deppresent effect. anyways, it usualy stopped wd clear till nighttime (took it in morning) and at night i would just pop some loperamide If i needed to.

If taking small effects of DXM seems to be working, then I suppose it works. If you're taking an amount of DXM that isn't "fucking you up" and it's helping with the cravings, I say go for it. However if you're using DXM as an alternate way to get fucked up instead of opiates, I have to say no. DXM should at all times be used as a way to reach mind expansion and not as a way to get high. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

i say there is no wrong way to do anything. but i can agree to disagree with you.
:)

also note, yes i was taking lower doses then would fuck me up. it just took that much to keep me out of wd.

DXM is one of the best drugs in the world, both as a psychedelic as well as in helping with addictions, and preventing tolerance to all kinds of drugs.

Very interesting this thread if it can see some way to proof. I can only try it and report back as part of my contribution. But just think, if there is some validity to this, then this could help lots and lots and people.

Last opiates were yesterday, I am doing a CT, so I can get out of this opiate prison. Last night was nasty. Today i am barely alive but up enough to check the comuputer and do very little mini things before retreating to the bed. I like to try to force myself to small 10 minute projects, I just think it helps move me forward. God this w/d stuff hurts body and esp mind. Last night I had to knock myself out. I was climbing out of my skin. So I took a valium, waited, still crawing, then another, still climbing, then I brought out the big guns. Took a serequel and a lunestra together. Finally went to sleep. I don't take benzos at all, I would have normally went down with half a valium. These w/ds ability to keep you awake are something fierce, its like 'your stayin up for this misery MFer'. I normally would have slept for two days on that much stuff I took. I will try some DXM and see.

I took 100mg from cough syrup. Yuck. I have no idea about doseage for this. But that seemed mid-range.

Last edited:
yes.

for me, it's possible to completely ride out a low key withdrawal by dosing pretty high on dxm for several days. not recommended though because the trip gets pretty fucked up after the first 8 hours or so.

i'd recommend using low doses 24/7 . like delsym (dxm polystirex. it avoids the problem from bromide in dxm hydrobromide), maybe twice the dose for the cough. it'll just get you a little spaced and a little fuzzy, so the physical symptoms wont matter as much and you'll be more disconnected from the mental symptoms.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about DXM and opiate withdrawal, I think there's even mention of it in the giant infamous DXM FAQ over at Erowid (or everywhere else on the internet).

DXM is a route I can't take for anything these days, I can't metabolize it properly and even if I take say twice or 3x the recommended dose I'll feel jittery and outright terrible for 24 hours. Seems to completely disable my ability to sleep. Funny thing is I used to somewhat enjoy it when I first tried it, but the negatives quickly far outweighed the positives.

Anyway, I've never actually experienced opiate withdrawal but DXM certainly helped me with nicotine withdrawal back in the day, not sure if it just distracted me from it or if there is a specific effect that DXM has on many withdrawals.

Newmoonrecord said:
yes.

for me, it's possible to completely ride out a low key withdrawal by dosing pretty high on dxm for several days. not recommended though because the trip gets pretty fucked up after the first 8 hours or so.

i'd recommend using low doses 24/7 . like delsym (dxm polystirex. it avoids the problem from bromide in dxm hydrobromide), maybe twice the dose for the cough. it'll just get you a little spaced and a little fuzzy, so the physical symptoms wont matter as much and you'll be more disconnected from the mental symptoms.

I like this thread, thanks for the real-life contributions. Might do some good for those who read it and need it.

What is delsym? What is the probelm with bromide in the other. I know I do hate the expectorant, 'Gwaf....somethin or other'. Do they make anything with just DXM anymore. The DM cough was all I could find.

timetohunt said:
I like this thread, thanks for the real-life contributions. Might do some good for those who read it and need it.

What is delsym? What is the probelm with bromide in the other. I know I do hate the expectorant, 'Gwaf....somethin or other'. Do they make anything with just DXM anymore. The DM cough was all I could find.

delsym is an orange box with a clock on it that indicates the time release. it's time release dxm, which is good for 2 things really (not good for individual trips because it lasts so long) - synergizing with pod tea, and getting through withdrawal.

yeah there are a couple of things with just dxm.

delsym, and robogels (robitussin cough gels) (gel caps, they say they're time release but they're really not), and zicam cough mist. each of these products comes in dxm-only and in mixed form (mixed with other meds). be sure to get the dxm only kind.

the bromide problem is related to bromide poisoning. it's not a hugely popular theory - most people dont know about it or buy into it, but it's possible and highly probable that all of the negative effects of dxm use, especially long term dxm use (ie: a 3 day binge for withdrawal etc) are caused by bromide poisoning. (every time you ingest dxm hbr you're getting just as many mg of bromide as you are of dxm). it causes mental cloudiness, slow thinking, depression, lack of coordination, headaches, slurred speech, irritability, and psychosis.

dxm polystirex (the delsym form of dxm) should be safer than other forms, if bromide poisoning is behind the classic "dxm hangover". (i believe it's likely)

the other way of using dxm long term is to do a simple home extraction (agent lemon extraction) which converts the hbr to an acetate or hcl salt.

Agent lemon extraction ? Wow, I guess I'll have to do some research on that when I feel better. Psychedelics have always been my friends, and much more good than harm has come from them. I used to grow some kickin shrooms, and still can, but have not invested the energy since I moved. Never tried DXM for mind exploration. I'd think I want to be by myself for that. Might seem a little much for what little tripping compadres I have left. Including the wife who is fine with shrooms.

Opiates are such quandry in my life. Since I have CP (back problems), I have some of my best days on opiates. But the opiated prison and the payback. Is it worth, I don't know yet.
Gonna take a break and think it through.

By the way, I have been dosing dxm fairly steady, and I can say I am in low to fair shape, which is a winner compared with bed ridden. I could be miserable. I have been taking swigs here and there. I have been out of bed and doing small projects anyway. This is better than where I thought I would be. Cant say its the DXM, I am taking in good supplements. But I am not going to play with a winner at this point. I am going to keep using it every few hours.

Thanks Newmoon. I am a bit older of a person that likely uses this board. 42. But you seem like you really know a lot without the BS. Thanks.

effective, well as effective as most things, I think along with the rest of your arsenal of OTC withdrawl aids it does help.

Expect no miracles, but I'd certainly take it.

Sounds to me like you're replacing one crutch with another, dude.

What, are you going to be dependant on _something_ forever?

Get some professional help.