Very Basic Dietary Question

negrogesic

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
How many grams of protein to carbohydrates do you guys consume before and after training (or even during?), and are they slow or fast digesting carbs?

My protein shake contains 0 grams of carbs (or at least none that arent fiber), so i am having to eat a very coarse type oatmeal for the slow digesting carbs. Each protein shake is 60 grams of protein (goat whey and some caseins), and i take in 300-320g of protein per day (occasionally 290 on very hectic days). Do you guys also drink fast acting carbs (perhaps through "sport" drinks or creatine type drinks)? Also, how long before your exercise do you take in the protein? I would assume some of you guys consume things like "muscle milk" that already contain the simple carbohydrates...

About 1:1 protein:carbs, of that mostly simple carbs (sugars from milk and banana). But I wouldn't say the amounts are The Right Way, just personal habit. I generally avoid sugars, but with a fairly stiff dose of whey protein (typically 40 g or so) some sugars should help absorption...and taste yummy. :)

I usually grab a protein/carb shake (or meal) about 30-60 minutes before hitting the gym, then another shake when I get back from the gym. Not sure how much of a difference the timing makes, but it seems to work OK for me.

an hour before working out: slow digesting carb source such as Oatmeal; whey protein.

Post workout: Fast digesting simple carbohydrates such as Dextrose and Maltodextrin; whey protein isolate.

Generally, you don't want to consume anything post workout that is going to slow the digestion process, which is why I consume only fast digesting carbohydrats and whey protein isolate. (which is the fastest absorbing protein there is)

before training: large meal, good macro split, something whole food (not shake) and filling. As soon as it's digested enough that I won't puke, start sipping

Preworkout shake: heavier carbs, lower protein, ratio of 2:1 carb:protein, all fast absorbing (gatorade for carbs and whey for protein). This is sipped during as well.

Postworkout shake: basically the same exact shake only twice as big, still a rough 2:1 carb:protein mix.

I try to get a meal down as soon as possible after the postworkout nausea ends ;)

pending on if i need the motivation or not,
1 scoop of muscle milk & one scoop of BSN syntha6 protein powder 30mins b4 & after work outs & 2scoops muscle milk maybe w/ 1 bsn before bed.

I usually try & lift before eating anything after i wake up since then ur bodys using fat right off your body as energy instead of relying on whats already in ur tum. Has anyone else chugged a 2,000 cal protein/mass builder custom shake blend?

FrostyMcFailure said:
pending on if i need the motivation or not,
1 scoop of muscle milk & one scoop of BSN syntha6 protein powder 30mins b4 & after work outs & 2scoops muscle milk maybe w/ 1 bsn before bed.

I usually try & lift before eating anything after i wake up since then ur bodys using fat right off your body as energy instead of relying on whats already in ur tum. Has anyone else chugged a 2,000 cal protein/mass builder custom shake blend?

This is true for cardio first thing after waking but if lifting weights i would take in a decent carb/pro meal an hour or 2 before working out

This all depends on when i am going to the gym....

If its a weekend and im going in the morning:
I will wake and have a bowl of muesli/oatmeal, a casein pro shake (50g), vitamin c and joint formular stuff. 2 hours later i get to lifting drinking only water, i will have a WPI shake immediatly after lifting which consists of 50g pro/100g carbs (50g dex/50g powdered oats) If its a chosen day for cardio too i will head straight up and sit on an excersise bike for 20 mins while drinking staminade then i will have my creatine/vitamin c/and other minerals. Another 20 mins after this is post workout meal which is usually 10 egg whites and 2 full eggs.

If its after work in the arvo:
Seeing as i have already carbed up in my earlier meals i dont feel the need to have a carby meal at this point so 2hrs before the gym i will eat 100gram tin of tuna and have a casein protein shake. During my workouts again i only drink water, and after my workout it is the same as above :D

Last edited:
ner0 said:
This is true for cardio first thing after waking but if lifting weights i would take in a decent carb/pro meal an hour or 2 before working out
exactly. Lifting on an empty stomach isn't very efficient, you need to make progress each time you lift, which entails being around your best each time, which ya cannot do to well if you haven't eaten.

also you shouldn't be thinking of how you're 'losing/burning fat' if you're trying to gain muscle, because fat stores should be growing to some small degree while gaining muscle, and keeping them on the lower end is done through calorie manipulation (ie are you currently in a calorie surplus/bulking, or deficit/cutting), not lifting on an empty stomach (plus what I said before about it hampering the quality of the workout from an anabolic standpoint).

blah i take your words 4 it, maybe thats why i have such a hard time gaining! i went from 115-117 within the last 2 days but as of late i can gain 5lbs of muscle & still weight 115, i guess its cause im burning off my body fat? I usually drink muscle milk in combination with bsn & i know im gonna hear the "muscle milk isnt a gainer" word or two but ill throw in MASS XXX once in a while & make a custom protein drink of 2000cals, woot. 117 right now i think but it fluctuates from 115-120 on occasion, im about 5'7 5'8 atm & 18. I was really into lifting 13-15 but i dropped 30lbs of what id assume to be muscle inside a month due to addiction & i just got back into lifting the last few months.

Just watch out how many of those weight gainer's your drinking they are full of dex/maltodex you should really only consume those after weight training and try and get your cals from decent carb sources like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, potatoes etc...
The weight fluctuations your are having are probably just water, it is normal to fluctuate and the amount of fluctuation depends on what you have eaten for the day...

sorry for hijacking the tread :)

yea my weight will fluctuate ~10 lbs from day to day. i wouldn't watch the scale too close.

thankz ner0,(&& of coursee aanallein) i got to ask though, is your named based on DM4!? i <3 devil may cry but dante & vergil are just so classic, i dont see how anyone could replace either!

FrostyMcFailure said:
thankz ner0,(&& of coursee aanallein) i got to ask though, is your named based on DM4!? i <3 devil may cry but dante & vergil are just so classic, i dont see how anyone could replace either!

No worries mate ;)

Who's name?? Mine or aanallein's?? As you can see i got no idea what DM4 is lol.... I know it must be a game of some kind?

ner0 said:
Just watch out how many of those weight gainer's your drinking they are full of dex/maltodex you should really only consume those after weight training and try and get your cals from decent carb sources like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, potatoes etc...
The weight fluctuations your are having are probably just water, it is normal to fluctuate and the amount of fluctuation depends on what you have eaten for the day...

sorry for hijacking the tread :)
agreed - but to add something to this, while it is preferable to only have those high glycemic shakes during/after training, if you're gonna have that or nothing, have the shake. Don't miss a calorie goal because you had to have a double shake at the end of the day, if that makes sense. Calories over quality I guess, when it comes to gaining muscle, holds a lot of water. Mcdonald's could provide quite a good bulk to be honest, it's just not healthy for your body, but you could back on some mean muscle. Same goes with the 700 calorie, high glycemic shakes. They're not that great nutritionally but, if you've got a calorie goal to make for the day, sometimes it needs to be done. Sometimes can turn into all the time, and then you need to start cooking some more, but I digress ;).

Good point i myself go for a few dirty options if i need to hit my cals for that day. I try not to make a habit of it though cause i wouldnt want to do that ED of the week (yuk). I surpose everybody is different though and some people can handle a dirty diet better than others hahhaha

haha handling it totally sucks, when you have those shitty times where you're pretty much deciding whether to miss your goals or just down raw shakes, you enter that whole 'hydroponic bodybuilder' phase with the liquid shits... sucks!!

Allow me to ask an even more basic question... wouldn't you want to consume mostly carbs before a workout to provide fuel for energy and mostly protein after a workout to sustain muscle building?

should have protein in your guy 24/7 pretty much to prevent catabolism.

need carbs in your gut to restore glycogen levels.

so a mixture is optimal.

AfterGlow said:
Allow me to ask an even more basic question... wouldn't you want to consume mostly carbs before a workout to provide fuel for energy and mostly protein after a workout to sustain muscle building?
I take more protein in my pre-workout shake not because I want the protein that minute, but because I want it in the process of being assimilated while I'm training/finishing, at which point I give it a much larger boost with my postworkout shake.

Aanallien's right about needing protein 24/7, you never want to be low on protein, ever, but the protein I put in my preworkout shakes is all to get a head start on postworkout recovery. If you're eating frequently enough and high enough values of protein with each meal, you'll never be low on protein (heh, sounds soo simple phrased like that, but that one piece (well, protein and calories, not just protein) is what like 99.999% of lifters neglect/don't know/etc and therefore make shitty/no progress.